The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.2 Rookie at the Top: Stacey's task- Winter Flowers Day

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Dec 02, 2010 10:19AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18121 comments Mod
Rookie at the Top: Stacey's task- Winter Flowers Day
December 8 is Winter Flowers Day. Read a book that has the name of a flower or the word "flower" in the title. Here are a couple of lists to get you started:
Flowers in title, not on cover
Flowers in titles
Required: Identify the flower when you post.

message 2: by Stacey (last edited Dec 08, 2010 02:51PM) (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments YES:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Mistletoe as a flower
Poetry (or any other genre you like!)
Ultraviolet

message 3: by Stacey (last edited Dec 03, 2010 03:56AM) (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments NO:

Flower words in the series title. It needs to be the title or subtitle of the book itself.

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18121 comments Mod
This thread is open!

message 5: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 434 comments Will you accept The Perks of Being a Wallflower? A wallflower isn't a real flower as far as I know, but it seems to inlcude flower.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7854 comments yay - found a place for the book set in the Ukraine that I picked up for another groups challenge...The Rose of Sebastopol

message 7: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments Yup, variations are okay. I'll take wallflower, flowering, etc. (And I've heard that's a good book. Enjoy!)

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments would a book from the wallflower series ( Devil in Winter ) fit for this task? I have been meaning to read the series for a while...

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments Would a poetry book (over 100 pages) be okay? Orchids and Daffodils a Lyrical Bouquet is the title.

message 10: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I think I will read Goddess of the Rose

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7854 comments ohhh good book!! lol!! i've been hawking it on other threads, I loved it!!

★Meghan★ wrote: "I think I will read Goddess of the Rose"

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments Poetry is fine.

I'm going to rule out series titles, though - it needs to be the actual book title or subtitle.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I found a list that includes Mistletoe as a flower. Would a book with mistletoe in the title work?

message 14: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments Apparently it's the state flower of Oklahoma. Far be it from me to argue with Oklahoma, I'll approve mistletoe.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Hmm, I didn't know it was the state flower of Oklahoma. That is interesting!

message 16: by Sandy (last edited Dec 03, 2010 05:37AM) (new)

Sandy | 16594 comments Mod
This was interesting - here's a list of all of them:

http://www.50states.com/flower.htm

message 17: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments I'm surprised at how much I learn just preparing to read! These tasks are educational without even cracking open the book!!

message 18: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments For anyone who is still looking, I highly, highly recommend Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series The Secret History of the Pink Carnation. The first one is especially good.

message 19: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments At this point, I may wind up reading the entire Goddess Summoning series :P

message 20: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments Hey, I may need suggestions for my own task! I was thinking of Jennifer Donnelly's The Tea Rose, but now I think I might shift that to the Tea Ceremony task!

of course, if it's good I can then use the sequel The Winter Rose for my own task, I guess.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Sounds like a good plan, Stacey! Get both done this challenge :)

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Cindy AL wrote: "For anyone who is still looking, I highly, highly recommend Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series The Secret History of the Pink Carnation. The first one is especially good."

I would second this series. It is a fun blend of chick lit and historical fiction/romance. I'll probably use wherever I am in the series for this task. :)

message 23: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments The Blossom Street Series is pretty good so far from what I have read (the first two). There are three of the books that have Blossom in the Title.

message 24: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot What about Ultraviolet? The reason I'm asking is because violet is not a seperate word in the title so I wasn't sure whether this would count.

message 25: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments Ultraviolet is okay.

message 26: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Thanks!

message 27: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I was wonder if Ivy would work. I did check and ivy does bloom flowers.

thanks

message 28: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments I didn't know that! But you're right, apparently it does. Ivy works for me.

message 29: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments What about sweetheart (as in sweetheart rose)? I think it might be a stretch, but worth asking.
thanks

message 30: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments Sorry for the delay, Elizabeth, I was out of town for a few days. I think sweetheart is too much of a stretch, I'm going to say no on that one.

message 31: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 185 comments No problem--I already put it somewhere else--just thought I would ask for flexibility sake.

message 32: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Will Bloodroot work?

message 33: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments Flowering plant - works for me!

Heather (DeathByBook) (deathbybook) | 8 comments How about Thyme? As in
Thyme of Death (China Bayles, #1) by Susan Wittig Albert
Thyme of Death?

message 35: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Mmmm...I think I will use Back On Blossom Street instead...I don't think I will get to Goddess of the Rose in time. Would that work?

message 36: by Katy (new)

Katy | 681 comments How about
bird of paradise flowers in order to use the book Paradise?

message 37: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) | 241 comments I'll take Thyme and blossom. I think "paradise" as a standalone word is too much of a stretch.