SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

December Discussions > Surface Detail - First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

No spoilers, but I enjoyed it well enough for the most, expect for one bit. I'll hold back for now. Banks certainly has something to say about punishment.

I think we need ship names for ourselves. Maybe:
I'll Get Back to You on That or
Go Slower More Quickly

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for creating this. I'm wrapped up in the latest ST book and forgot to create the thread.

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Greg wrote: "...I think we need ship names for ourselves..."

That was one of my favorite details of Excession: all the ship names. :-)

(Haven't started this one yet.)

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Just started this last night and read the first 2 or 3 chapters. A little bit disconcerting what happens right off the bat, and I am not sure who the main characters are -- or if I've even met them yet -- but it has definitely piqued my curiosity.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I decided to pass this one up, but I'll be back for the next pick.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I sampled the first 2.5 chapters and I like what I read so far. It's darker than I'm in the mood for at the moment, though. So, I'm going to read some fluff and then dig into this one ...

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) I'm about 30% into it now, and the pace appears to be picking up. The first few chapters certainly set a dark tone, but it has lightened up a bit now (though still on the dark side, so to speak) as it focuses more on the "real" plot and is starting to tie the opening vignettes together.

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) PS: For those who are interested, there is a Wikipedia list of ship names from Banks' "Culture" novels.