The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.5 - Valorie's task: SRC Tea Ceremony

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 02, 2010 03:50PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments 25.5 -- Valorie's task - SRC Tea Ceremony
Since the theme for this seasons challenge is Asia/Winter, I thought an SRC Tea Ceremony would be a fun idea! There's nothing like a good cup of hot tea on a cold day while curled up with a good book.

For Part A: Please choose a tea flavor listed below and read the corresponding type of book (fiction or non-fiction) listed with it.

1. You Are My Sunshine Flowering Tea: Read a book about gardening, or a book that has a character that does landscaping or gardening in some fashion.

2. Gunpowder Green Tea: Read a true crime, suspense, western, or mystery novel.

3. Dragon Well (Lung Ching) Tea: Read a book with a supernatural/paranormal character or a book with a dragon on the cover.

4. China Moon Palace Tea: Read a book about a character/person that is part of a royal family or has a castle or palace on the cover.

5. Kiyoto Lemon Tea: Read a book about cooking or a book with a character that owns a business that involves cooking.

Required: Identify the option you chose AND when using the cover option, include the cover in your post.

Part B: Read a book that has the word "Tea" in the title. (Tea can also be a part of the series title). Words that contain "tea," such as team, teacher, steam, steal, etc., also count.

Optional: Pick out a new or favorite tea to drink while reading either book!

message 2: by Valorie (last edited Dec 05, 2010 12:14PM) (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Words with "Tea" in them for Part B book so far.

Team
Teacher
Teach
Steam
Steal
Anteater
Homestead
Tear
Tearing

message 3: by Valorie (last edited Dec 01, 2010 09:15PM) (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10992 comments This thread is now open.

message 5: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Just this morning I picked up Catherine of Aragon: The Spanish Queen of Henry VIII by Giles Tremlett, which should fit Part A #4 to a Tee.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7851 comments so Tea can be part of the work...i.e. Team; steam etc...

message 7: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Just this morning I picked up Catherine of Aragon: The Spanish Queen of Henry VIII by Giles Tremlett, which should fit Part A #4 to a Tee."

Perfect!

message 8: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "so Tea can be part of the work...i.e. Team; steam etc..."

Sure, that will work.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Valorie wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "so Tea can be part of the work...i.e. Team; steam etc..."

Sure, that will work."

That is nice that "tea" doesn't have to be a separate word.

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2253 comments I agree with that Kathryn. It is amazing the number of words that have "tea" in them. I'm going to read something with the word steal in it.

Thanks Valorie!

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Just another word to add to the lister is teacher.

message 12: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 1016 comments Here are 2 goodreads lists about tea. As always, not all books work, but it gives you some definite ideas.

All About Tea

Tea_Time

message 13: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Thanks ladies, I try to make my tasks as accommodating as I can for group members. I know it really bums me out to have to read something I know I'm not interested in.

message 14: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Beth NC wrote: "Here are 2 goodreads lists about tea. As always, not all books work, but it gives you some definite ideas.

All About Tea

Te..."

Thanks Beth NC for those lists!

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I had a question for The Gunpowder Green Tea. Will the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson? I am looking at reading The Protector as a mystery.

message 16: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments For people trying to read off of the 1001 Books list there is:
The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul

message 17: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Just clarifying, we need to read "one from column A and one from column B" - two books total. And Steamed should be good for B (off to shuffle books AGAIN)

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7851 comments if you want to search your books, for the word tea in titles- go to mybooks and there is a search box, if you type in "tea" it will come back will all books on your shelves that have tea in the title or the authors name

message 19: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Kathryn wrote: "I had a question for The Gunpowder Green Tea. Will the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson? I am looking at reading The Protector as a mystery."

Yep, I would say mystery or suspense.

message 20: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Cindy AL wrote: "Just clarifying, we need to read "one from column A and one from column B" - two books total. And Steamed should be good for B (off to shuffle books AGAIN)"

You are correct!

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Valorie wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I had a question for The Gunpowder Green Tea. Will the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson? I am looking at reading The Protector as a mystery."

Yep, I w..."

Great. Thanks. I have managed to fit three entire series into this challenge. All of the series have had at least 5 books... I am rather proud of myself!

message 22: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Kathryn wrote: "Valorie wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I had a question for The Gunpowder Green Tea. Will the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson? I am looking at reading The Protector as a my..."

Wow, thats great!

message 23: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments I have to head out for two afternoon classes so I'll be back after 6pm Pacific time to answer more questions!

message 24: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) Would Anne Boleyn: Fatal Attractions work for #4 for Part A?

message 25: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Melissa W wrote: "Would Anne Boleyn: Fatal Attractions work for #4 for Part A?"

Yes it will.

message 26: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments i'm wondering if you'll accept these:

for part A, choice 1: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life and

for part B: Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficient Living in the Heart of the City..with TEA in homesTEAd?

thanks! :)

message 27: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments kiki wrote: "i'm wondering if you'll accept these:

for part A, choice 1: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life and

for part B: [book:Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-sufficient Li..."

Yep they both work.

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7851 comments for part A - Kiyoto Lemon Tea -
Sweet Inspiration - he's a pastry chef, she owns a cafe? does that work?

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I love you, Valorie! lol This task fits perfectly to fit some of the bajillion cozy mysteries I own into the challenge.

Would French Pressed by Cleo Coyle work for Kiyoto Lemon Tea. The main character owns a coffee shop. Does that count as cooking?

For part B, I'm going to read one of the books from Laura Childs Tea Shop Mystery series.

message 30: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments yeay, thanks! :)

message 31: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "for part A - Kiyoto Lemon Tea -
Sweet Inspiration - he's a pastry chef, she owns a cafe? does that work?"

Yep, it works.

message 32: by Valorie (last edited Dec 03, 2010 04:26PM) (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Katie wrote: "I love you, Valorie! lol This task fits perfectly to fit some of the bajillion cozy mysteries I own into the challenge.

Would French Pressed by Cleo Coyle work for Ki..."

Those both work! French Pressed will also work for the Gunpowder Green Tea option also. Glad you like the task!!

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Hi:-) I was wondering if Romantic Suspense could work for Gunpowder Green Tea?

message 34: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments It sure will Melanie!

message 35: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments Groovy thanks:-)

message 36: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jan 28, 2011 11:43AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Is this cover Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay castley enough?

message 37: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Sure, it looks kinda castle-ish. I'll take it.