Students of the Restored Gospel discussion

Book Discussions > Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling - Dec 2010

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 87 comments One of my all time favorites......finally got the whole story (not the sugar-coated, Church version). Joseph Smith is an amazing person - loved this book!!

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 87 comments Has a single, solitary person attempted Rough Stone Rolling? Anyone? Anyone?

message 3: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Flanary (singflan) | 4 comments I got it for Christmas, I started it but am still in the first chapter while I was finishing Leap of Faith and one other book.

message 4: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Wendy wrote: "Has a single, solitary person attempted Rough Stone Rolling? Anyone? Anyone?"

I just started it. I doubt I'll be done before January 31, but I should be done within the next few weeks. I'm very excited to read and then talk with others about this book.

message 5: by kelley (new)

kelley | 25 comments I'm still reading Elder Holland's book.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 87 comments Sounds good! Be sure to comment on the threads, even if we've gone on to other books......

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul (paul_gephart) | 159 comments Mod
I read about the first 50 pages of Rough Stone Rolling a few years ago, but I had a library book that I needed to finish, so I read that instead and never got back to Rough Stone Rolling.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina (TinaReederBeus) | 7 comments I have read this book and it strengthened my testimony about the Book of Mormon- but the polygamy issues it brought up really made me do some soul searching. I came to the conclusion that I honestly don't know what happened then, nor do these so called factual documents tell the whole story. So I would keep all of that in mind while reading.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Purdy | 5 comments Nope, but I'm sure enjoying Pres. Monsons biography!

message 10: by John (new)

John Bushman | 2 comments I loved the book in that it showed Joseph as a mortal. Not a perfect person, but a prophet none the less. There are difficult parts, but also very inspirational parts. So balancing the two, it worked for me.

message 11: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Just finished, and I'm still thinking about it. This definitely increased my testimony of the prophet, but it also has made me wonder at what point a prophet crosses the line from speaking the will and word of God to speaking his own hopes and beliefs. It seems clear to me that a prophet can speak God's will as to all aspects of our lives: spiritual, physical, financial, etc. But Joseph Smith often told the saints to do something that wasn't spiritual (for example, invest in the Kirtland Bank), giving them specific promises that would result from the requested action (using the same example, Kirtland will develop into a thriving commercial center), and the saints would obey and the promise wouldn't follow (the bank failed within a few weeks). Obviously, the prophets are mortal men and don't always speak the will of God. To me, it seems that we must constantly be close to the spirit ourselves so we can recognize when the prophet is speaking the will of God. I think things are easier for us today than back then because we don't interact daily with our prophet. When he speaks to us, it is at General Conference or some other church event, and when we hear him speak, we can be assured that he is in fact speaking the will of God. Does anyone else have thoughts about this?