What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Fantasy sweatshop, dark birds, power jewelry, hard labor

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aj (new)

Aj | 2 comments so this book i think i read when i was a kid. In fact, my memory is so vague it may have been a dream. Anyway...the book i believe is a bout a young boy working in a sweatshop because his sister is ill. They live in some fantasy land. Someone get maimed by a machine later on too. The book also focuses heavily on a ring or necklace or something like that and a dark bird such as a crow or raven. so to sum up: fantasy sweatshop, power jewelry, hard labor, dark birds. Please help

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40196 comments Mod
I don't remember the whole plot of it, but Midnight is a Place has a sweatshop (Victorian carpet factory) with child labor. I'm pretty sure someone gets killed or maimed at the factory. I can't remember if there was jewelry or a dark bird but it's entirely possible. A reviewer on Amazon says:

Joan Aiken sets many of her children's books in a slightly off-kilter Victorian world, and this is one of them. Lucas and Anna-Marie are orphans in the care of a miserly, grim old man who owns carpet-making factories. After a terrible accident, the two children have to survive on their own, and this takes them through the dark alleyways, factories, and even sewers of the nearby town. Some parts are quite scary, and others are strange in a larger-than-life kind of way, including the descriptions of the machines in the factories.

message 3: by Aj (new)

Aj | 2 comments im thinking the book had some more fantasy based stuff in it but thanks anyway

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40196 comments Mod
Aj wrote: "so to sum up: fantasy sweatshop, power jewelry, hard labor, dark birds"

You need to put this in your header.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
AJ hasn't been active in GR in 2 years. I've moved this down to Abandoned.