Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Books Homeschoolers Love

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Dec 01, 2010 03:17PM) (new)

Kathryn | 6156 comments Mod
Here's the place for homeschoolers to discuss books that have been especially useful/enjoyable for studies with their children.

I realized that, while homeschoolers and school teachers alike could certainly benefit from the many topics already in existence here at the Children's Book Group, homeschoolers may have specific subjects/books they are looking for, or that were especially useful in their studies, and that having a forum for homeschoolers might be beneficial to some of our members. (I don't mean to exclude any non-homeschoolers from posting here, of course! Everyone is welcome.)

I'm thinking for example, those of you who do a literature-based approach might have some books you'd love to discuss or recommend to others.

Historical fiction might be another great subject, from picture books to children's novels... I know that in my own homeschool days, I benefited from lots of historical fiction from the I-Can-Read books like Sam the Minuteman and George the Drummer Boy for an early look at the contrasting viewpoints on the American Revolution, to novels like the "Little House" books that really brought the time period to life.

I also thought it would be great if we could mention any books that feature homeschooling families since they are so few and far between. I know, for example, My School in the Rain Forest: How Children Attend School Around the World mentions a homeschool family.

So, for anyone interested, here's your forum :-)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

We followed a classical/eclectic curriculum, that included lots of bigraphies. I relied on Usborne books to give me a springboard into many subjects.

A couple of my favorites:

Renaissance and Reformation Times, which I used for middle-school

Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians. Great biographical sketches of mathematicians.

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Great idea for a thread! I would love to find some picture books or early chapter books to read to Maggie that featured homeschooled families/children.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll have to see if I can find any. Most of the J/YA books with homeschoolers in them portray the homeschooled kid as the weirdo, saved by public school. :(

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Hmmmm, that's exactly what we want to avoid. There must be something out there.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

There might be in some picture books. We're still not mainstream enough to sell positive stories, I suppose, until the kids are in college.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 01, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Great! Jeannette you are such a wonder woman!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read any of them! lol Look at their reviews on amazon and you'll find others, I'm sure. If you read any of them, post back here. It would have been nice to have books like these 10 years ago.

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Black | 3 comments I hate to list a book I haven't read yet, but my teenage (homeschooled) daughter enjoyed this one.

The Homeschool Liberation League

message 11: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Tracy, I'm glad she enjoyed that one. I just checked and found it on my to-read list already.

message 12: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 8430 comments Mod
I don't have any children, but I think that the Canadian "Dear Canada" series and probably also the American "Dear America" series would likely work well in a home schooling classroom (I have only read the "Dear Canada" series and found most of the books excellent, I also have some pamphlet like books on how one could use the "Dear Canada" series for teaching). I know that the "Dear America" series has some rather controversial entries, but most of the books of the "Dear Canada" series are both a fun read and educational, and they also often deal with certain aspects of Canadian history that are problematic (such as the Acadian expulsion, for example).

Written by Barbara Greenwood and illustrated by heather Collins, A Pioneer Story: The Daily Life of a Canadian Family in 1840 (also published as A Pioneer Sampler: The Daily Life of a Pioneer Family in 1840), along with the shorter picture books A Pioneer Thanksgiving: A Story of Harvest Celebrations in 1841 and A Pioneer Christmas: Celebrating in the Backwoods in 1841 would also work very well for homeschooling. The two picture books are short enough and engaging enough to be read as both fiction and nonfiction family reads (or even by the children themselves), while A Pioneer Story: The Daily Life of a Canadian Family in 1840, due to its length, works better as a reference book or even a textbook.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Tracy wrote: "I hate to list a book I haven't read yet, but my teenage (homeschooled) daughter enjoyed this one.

The Homeschool Liberation League"

Thanks, Tracy. I saw that one and thought it might be one of the few (if only) teen books with a positive spin on homeschooling. I'll get it for my daughter (she's 16).

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I joined your secular homeschooling group, Tracy. My daughter is a senior in high school. You might like to take a look Lee.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Gundula wrote: "I don't have any children, but I think that the Canadian "Dear Canada" series and probably also the American "Dear America" series would likely work well in a home schooling classroom (I have only ..."

Thanks, Gundula, those sound like great books, and teaching resources. A lot of the early years of teaching at my house revolved around reading from a wide variety of sources. I never did follow much of a fixed curriculum.

message 16: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Tracy wrote: "I hate to list a book I haven't read yet, but my teenage (homeschooled) daughter enjoyed this one.

The Homeschool Liberation League"

I've been really curious about that one and am hoping to read it in the near future. It would be exciting if we could read it with the Children's Fiction Club :-)

message 17: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Jeannette wrote: "I Am Learning All the Time
I Am a Home Schooler
Kandoo Kangaroo Hops into Homeschool

I found these on amazon."

Oooh, YAY! Thank you :-)

message 18: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Lee wrote: "Great idea for a thread! I would love to find some picture books or early chapter books to read to Maggie that featured homeschooled families/children."

Thanks :-) I hope this will be a fun and beneficial thread for the homeschoolers in our group.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Abigail wrote: "The Homeschool Liberation League is on our master list, for the Children's Fiction Club! I'll try to put it on the next poll... looks interesting!"

I'd vote for it.

And, I Am Learning All the Time looks interesting too, but unfortunately hard to find, at least via the library.

message 20: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I think that, in addition to books that specifically mention homeschooling, there are lots of wonderful picture books out there featuring children learning with parents/grandparents or other children in a non-school setting and there is no reason these couldn't be looked at as being homeschoolers. The example that pops into my head immediately is Owl Moon, which I just read for our Picture Book Club; it features a child joining her father in looking for an owl in the woods at night. Right there is a homeschool "lesson" in nature ;-) I know there are many more; I will try to get a list going soon.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

And, please list any other books you may have used on your homeschooling journey. It really helps new homeschoolers when they are looking for curriculum resources.

message 22: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Jeannette wrote: "And, please list any other books you may have used on your homeschooling journey. It really helps new homeschoolers when they are looking for curriculum resources."

My pleasure! I hope others will do the same :-)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope to meet a few other homeschoolers here! :)

message 24: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Black | 3 comments Jeannette wrote: "And, please list any other books you may have used on your homeschooling journey. It really helps new homeschoolers when they are looking for curriculum resources."

I didn't see anyone list this yet. The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home Out of all the homeschooling books I've read, this was the most helpful.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read through it many times! I could never quite do everything she suggests, but it's a great resource.

message 26: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks, Tracy!

message 27: by Manybooks (new)

Another book that would be perfect for homeschooling is Tree of Life: The Incredible Biodiversity of Life on Earth, a great introduction to biology and the diversity of life.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Gundula!

message 29: by Manybooks (new)

Jeannette wrote: "Thanks, Gundula!"

I hope you like the book, I thought it was great.