Clean Reads discussion

Christmas/Holiday Time

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (emarsh13) It's gift-giving season for certain ... and I'm curious. What books are you giving as gifts this year? What books do you hope to receive? What books are you (or would you) suggest to those around you?

Let's restart this discussion group ... I've missed you all!!

As for me: I'm tempted to give Matched, by Ally Condie to my little sister. My kids always get a bunch of books ... my four year old is getting a set of Children's Illustrated Classics we can read together, and my daughter (who's only two) is getting the Pinkalicious books. I'm also giving my FIL a comprehensive history of model trains. He's a HUGE fan of them, but it's a hobby he hasn't ever really talked about to a lot of people.

My book wishlist is short this year. I am DYING to read Decision Points by President Bush. I also wouldn't turn my nose up at the Good Eats books ... I'm weird! And the new Rick Riordan looks SO good!

I've referred the Maisy Dobbs series and The Beekeeper's Apprentice series to people looking for clean mysteries. Both of those are some of my favorites!!

Your turn .... GO!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "It's gift-giving season for certain ... and I'm curious. What books are you giving as gifts this year? What books do you hope to receive? What books are you (or would you) suggest to those aroun..."

One I would recommend for Holiday reading is The Christmas Chronicles, The Legend of Santa Claus by Tim Slover. It is a wonderful new telling of how Santa came to be, unique. It is one I will more than likely read each holiday season.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a holiday discount going on now until Dec 10th on my 2nd YA fantasy book - ALLON - INSURRECTION.

Go to CreateSpace and put in the code CK76QKMB and receive 20% off the list price.

https://www.createspace.com/3476762

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna del C. Dye | 29 comments Books are a great gift for sure. I am giving away fifteen to the family this year. I just finished my Book Drive and collected more than 200 books that will go to Monroe Elementary here in Utah. Some 20 to the Bennion Senior Center.

I too would like to tell you that for the season you can buy my Silent Warrior Trilogy, autographed for $50 plush shipping. ($5)
Usually a $60.85 + tax & shipping at Amazon.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mejojac) | 50 comments My list of books that I would like to get is very long! My 11 (almost 12) year old is going to be getting the first two books in the "Missing" series by Margaret Peterson Haddix. He really loved her series "Shadow Children". My 10 year old is probably going to get some books about animals or trains. My 7 year old just recently discovered Magic Eye and loves them. So, I've got her a book of those...

And you should totally get the new Rick Riordan book! I think I preferred the original series, but this was a really fun addition to the series :)

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Madsen | 4 comments R Riordan also has The Red Pyramid out that we bought... haven't read it, but my girls have. They seemed to like it, but that new Lost Hero one they can't put down.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Madsen | 4 comments We are giving my 13 year old girl the Hourglass Door & the Golden Spiral by Lisa Mangum. I read the first, and am anxious to read the second in the budding trilogy. I also bought her Yearbook, First Day & Reunion by Ally Condie because I liked the first one. I'm getting my 8 year old son the Percy Jackson Graphic Novel, because his teacher read The Lightning Thief in class, but he's a little young & novice to read the rest of the series by himself. He's also getting a few of those leveled reading books of Clone Wars & Cars, etc. I bought the biography of Thomas Monson for my mom & MIL, and I'll probably buy myself A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth Bunce because I'm a little more than 1/2 way through, and I love it. It reminds me of The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, all of whose books I own. The new Artemis Fowl book is out, too, and I'm on the list for it. It reminds me that I want them all on CD when I get a chance to spoil myself.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (Avid7Reader) | 30 comments Melanie wrote: "R Riordan also has The Red Pyramid out that we bought... haven't read it, but my girls have. They seemed to like it, but that new Lost Hero one they can't put down."

Personally, I found The Red Pyramid extremely slow compared to his other books, but that may be because I love Greek Mythology and know nothing about Egyptian Mythology.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 14 comments I just read a really fun holiday story: A Capital Holiday by Janet Dailey. I was looking for a fun, holiday themed read and picked this up on a gamble, having never read anything by this author before. What a thoroughly enjoyable experience!! It was very clean, very fun; with a surprising emphasis on the true meaning of Christmas. A bit of romance spices things up, but overall it's a sweet, meaningful Christmas story. I highly recommend this dose of Christmas spirit this holiday season!!