What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. South African based short stories

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi I read a book of short stories which was newly published in 1982-1985. I remember those years because I was reading from the library and the book was in the newly published stacks. The book started with a short piece about an old lady and then got started with a story of a young person. Each story was about a person older than the last. Some stories were set in South Africa (during the Apartheid regime) and other stories were in England. At the end, SPOILER alert, you find that the stories were all about the old lady who was featured in the beginning. She had had all of the adventures listed int the short stories. She spent time in prison because of her protesting of Apartheid. She attended school at Oxford University in England. I found the writing and the setup to be very diverting but can not recall the author or the title. And I've looked. I thought maybe Nadine Gordimer but I don't see any of her work that matches. Any help is appreciated.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 41 comments Is it Something Out There by Nadine Gordimer?

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
I don't know if this is your book: Somehow Tenderness Survives: Stories of Southern Africa

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Typing 'south africa' in the Listopia search field gets lots of results, including: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/13...

Is your mystery book fiction or an actual biography/ memoir?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40196 comments Mod
Lori has left the group so this can be moved to ABANDONED.