Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

Nights at the Circus
This topic is about Nights at the Circus
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nights at the Circus > Nights at the Circus - Discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (new) - added it

Odette | 316 comments Mod
Anyone planning to read our last book selection of 2010, Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus? :)

Emilie | 69 comments i want to read this, but i don't think i'll get to it this month. i don't have a copy yet.

message 3: by S. Kay (new) - added it

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 56 comments I ordered it, so I may get to join in. I miss this group.

message 4: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 29 comments I ordered it - now just see if I have the time...

Michelle (fireweaver) | 65 comments i read it a couple of years ago and absolutely LOVED it, but other than giving it 5 stars, i annoyingly didn't write a review. so anyone on the fence, it's really good, but i can't tell ya more than that!

amazon has used copies starting at a buck (so ~ $5 after shipping), and it's very well worth that price.

Kyle | 6 comments I just discovered this group and was delighted to find that "Nights at the Circus" was this month's reading selection. It's a book I've been meaning to read for quite some time as I've slowly collected Carter's works, and this group gave me the perfect excuse to finally hunker down with it. I'm not quite halfway through and I'm loving it so far. The first section was a bit heavy at times but now that the story has gotten to St. Petersburg Carter seems to be hitting her stride. I'm enjoying the exploration into the deeper undercurrent meanings of clowning.

Emilie | 69 comments hi kyle. welcome to the endicott mythic fiction group! i've been wanting to read this one for awhile, too. i loved the magic toyshop and burning your boats.

message 8: by Mir (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mir | 15 comments I just found out about this group and ordered the book, but you'll probably be done with it by the time I start.

message 9: by Shveta (new) - added it

Shveta Thakrar (shveta-thakrar) | 6 comments I'd like to read this, but it'll be awhile before I get it, I think.

Emilie | 69 comments i still need to order this and so haven't started yet either, though i am really interested in reading it.

also, we keep the threads open and ongoing, so no worries.
welcome to the endicott group, miriam.

message 11: by Odette (new) - added it

Emilie's right - you should all feel free to contribute to any of the discussion threads at any time - even if months or years have past. :)

(This was another book my library sadly didn't have, but I'd definitely looking forward to reading it in the future.)

message 12: by Odette (new) - added it

Thought you all might enjoy hearing an Angela Carter story read aloud (nothing to do with Nights at the Circus, but a good one for the holiday season because of all the extravagant food descriptions):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/audio...

message 13: by Rora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rora I recently read this one. I found it hard to get into at first, but then the bizarreness of the story drew me in.

message 14: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy (kathy_h) Just started this one. Years late, but looks to be a good read.

message 15: by Odette (new) - added it

Kathy wrote: "Just started this one. Years late, but looks to be a good read."

Hi Kathy.
Thanks for posting.
Enjoy!

message 16: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy (kathy_h) There are parts of this book that are brilliantly funny to me -- but as a whole is there a plot to this? I just finished the second part, St. Petersburg, and it just seems to be odd vignettes that happen to our characters. I can't figure out where we are going at all.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.