Stephen King Fans discussion

Dark Tower Series > The Waste Lands - Dark Tower #3

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Next! Feel free to discuss The Waste Lands here, and remember to mark all spoilers!

If discussing the series, be sure to mark that as a SERIES spoiler. :)

message 2: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2586 comments Mod
Ughhh I haven't got around to re-reading any of these!

message 3: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Oh Boy, Blaine the Mono, Blaine the Mono, Blaine the Mono.

(Not a spoiler, Beck - if they haven't read the book, they haven't a clue who I'me raving about!!)

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) I loved the opening scene in this one! Both The Drawing of the Three and Wastelands have some of the most interesting plots and the most overall impact over the course of the series.

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha | 11 comments I'm actually reading this book, but, I'm going slow because I read whit my husband (I read, he listen) but I will try to finish by the end of the year =)

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Angie wrote: "Ughhh I haven't got around to re-reading any of these!"

Come on Angie! You can catch up!

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Bondama wrote: "Oh Boy, Blaine the Mono, Blaine the Mono, Blaine the Mono.

(Not a spoiler, Beck - if they haven't read the book, they haven't a clue who I'me raving about!!)"

And that is the truth. ;)

message 8: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Blaine is a pain.

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 64 comments I'm pretty sure he's dangerous too...

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) So how long did any of you who've read Wastelands have to wait before Wizard and Glass came out? I had to wait a year and I thought I was going to burst with anticipation!

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I love this book, but not quite as much as Drawing of the Three. I do love the full and complete ka-tet, and how they FEEL complete once all members are in place. I love little Oy too. :D

*******Book spoiler, Book 2 - River Crossing section******
I love how Roland is described in this section. I think that this is when he really starts humanizing again. He's sure of himself and calm, but not cold or cruelly calm. I love how he deals with the people at River Crossing, and how Eddie and Susannah can tell that this is how he was before he lost so much and the world moved on.

I think that the formation of his new ka-tet soothed him in some way... took the tension and loneliness out of him, the worry that if he failed, there would be nothing and nobody to carry on or even remember the attempt. That's got to be a hard reality to get used to. Drawing of the Three is my favorite so far, but Waste Lands is where I really start to love Roland. :)

***********Book, Series & Insomnia Spoiler**********
(You've been warned!)

I've read this book at least 4 or 5 times already, but finally listening to it on audio rammed it home to me just how Eddie actually brought Jake through... Drawing a door in the mud.

Might he have his own latent creation ability like Patrick Danville from DT 7/Insomnia? Or like Peter Rickman from Kingdom Hospital? First the key (although created in a more traditional manner, he still brought it out and made it real), then the door. Just a thought. :)

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Amanda wrote: "So how long did any of you who've read Wastelands have to wait before Wizard and Glass came out? I had to wait a year and I thought I was going to burst with anticipation!"

About 1 minute. The time it took for me to go O_O and open the next book.

(Luckily, they were all out when I started the series.) ;)

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I just realized that I said "I love" five times in my post 11. O_o

...It's true though. ♥

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Becky wrote: "I love this book, but not quite as much as Drawing of the Three. I do love the full and complete ka-tet, and how they FEEL complete once all members are in place. I love little Oy too. :D

*******B..."

Drawing was and is my fav too :) There's just so much going on to love! The whole series has important moments like Roland's past bits in Wizard and Glass. Your emotions really do go run the whole gamut during this series, that seems so rare these days!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Becky wrote: "I just realized that I said "I love" five times in my post 11. O_o

...It's true though. ♥"

Lol lucky you! I read that some people were sending him threats over the wait!

message 16: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Amanda--

The wait between "The Wastelands" and "Wizard and Glass" was agonizing. I read each book as they came out, because I've made it a habit to read King's books ASAP after they're published.

To give you a small idea:"The Wastelands" was published in 1992 --"Wizard and Glass" came out in 1997--Those were an incredibly looooong five years, let me tell you -- but the worst was "The Wolves of the Calla" which didn't come out until 2003!!!! After that one, the last two books came out one after the other, with very little wait, so we were rewarded for our patience...

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Bondama wrote: "Amanda--

The wait between "The Wastelands" and "Wizard and Glass" was agonizing. I read each book as they came out, because I've made it a habit to read King's books ASAP after they're published...."

I always read them right away too. Hehe he almost always publishes near my birthday (Nov 8th) so I don't usually have to buy them and get them as gifts !

Man I was lucky!

message 18: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments ********SPOILER********
Becky wrote: "I love how he deals with the people at River Crossing, and how Eddie and Susannah can tell that this is how he was before he lost so much and the world moved on."

Agreed. Until then, I hadn't really thought of Roland as nobility, though he was clearly described as such. I really like that the graphic novels fleshed that out, too. It was still a Wild West sort of nobility, but it added a lot of depth and nuance that I couldn't really come up with myself when reading the series the first time.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm halfway through this book though I only started two days ago. I'm finding this book a much quicker read than the first two.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) mauve1976 wrote: "I'm halfway through this book though I only started two days ago. I'm finding this book a much quicker read than the first two."

Really? I flew through Drawing of the Three when I first read it. I could barely put it down.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I read Drawing of the Three so slowly because I was so immersed in each character and they were new. Since The Waste Lands picked up right where D3 ended, it was easier to just keep the momentum of the story going. And I'm already eagerly glancing through Wizard and Glass :)

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (slipsplash) A friend told me that the waste lands was her least favorite out of all of the dark tower books. However, I enjoyed it a lot. I love the characters so much that The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands kind of just melt together to me. They are both important to the storyline and very fun reads. This one isn't my least favorite. Actually I feel like the Gunslinger is my least favorite. (No Eddie :( )

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (slipsplash) Bondama wrote: "Amanda--

The wait between "The Wastelands" and "Wizard and Glass" was agonizing. I read each book as they came out, because I've made it a habit to read King's books ASAP after they're published...."

I am personally really glad that I did not have to wait for the books to come out one by one... I discovered them earlier this year! (I am almost finished)! I feel like I would be in complete agony having to wait years for them to come out!

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinesey) | 28 comments I'm so glad that I didn't have to wait a second for any of them to come out! I'm not sure how I would've survived!

message 25: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 109 comments I took a two year break in between three and four, only because I thought the begining of W&G was kind of boring. After the break I started the fourth one again and wanted to beat myself for having waited. One of my favorites in the series.

message 26: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Erica - W&G is one of my favorites of the series, too!

message 27: by Scott (new)

Scott | 401 comments I just started this morning and am about 15% done. It has been very good so far.

I'm really glad everyone talked me into continuing the series after reading The Gunslinger.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yay! Glad that you're liking it Scott. Every book in the series is different from the rest, and together the series is quite different from anything else I've read, but I love it all. :)

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Becky wrote: "Yay! Glad that you're liking it Scott. Every book in the series is different from the rest, and together the series is quite different from anything else I've read, but I love it all. :)"

Exactly!There are so many things going on in the series that you can't help but get caught up once you've started Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands.

message 30: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (evilwinterelf) | 11 comments I've been trying off and on for the last year to read this series. I don't know why it's so hard for me to read it. I'm on The Waste Lands now. More then half way through it and it's getting kind of interesting, but I'm still a little lost.

message 31: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (evilwinterelf) | 11 comments I sure hope they get better.

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Sheila, this series is one you just have to suspend a lot of disbelief and just go with it... Everything will make sense in the end, at least it did for me, but the journey is as rewarding as the completion... more so, actually, I think.

Is there anything that you are confused about that would help you to enjoy it better? I'd be happy to help explain something if I can. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you if the questions you have will be addressed later, but maybe just knowing that will help?

message 33: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Sheila -- This is one series that is more than worth the effort you put in. You will not believe the wonder of The Dark Tower series -- and I guarantee, you'll never forget it.

message 34: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Definitely!

message 35: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (evilwinterelf) | 11 comments I think I'm just inpatient. I have a limited time to read and I only get bits a pieces of the story each day. I used to be able to get through thick books in just a few days. Lately I've been reading little books so as to follow the story a little better. This is such a long story and I'm frustrated that I can't spend more time on it.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Sheila wrote: "I've been trying off and on for the last year to read this series. I don't know why it's so hard for me to read it. I'm on The Waste Lands now. More then half way through it and it's getting kin..."

**spoilers**

I have to say, I'm in the same boat. After gobbling up the first two in the series, and then racing through the first half of The Waste Lands, I lost my momemtum somewhere. This is just my own impression, but Roland was so different in TWL that I felt a little lost by the middle of the story. And at first I liked the idea of Jake coming back, but as the chapters went on I just couldn't be interested, though I did try. I stopped reading about a hundred pages before the end, but by then I was lost and I'd have to pick it up again and start from about when Jake skipped his school exams, etc.

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm sorry that you're not enjoying the book Mauve... It is a wild ride with a lot of twists and turns and unexpected events.

Are you planning to join for book 4? Almost all of it is a flashback to Roland's youth, and it is a more straightforward story - you might like it. :)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Becky wrote: "Are you planning to join for book 4? Almost all of it is a flashback to..."

I'd like to move on and start book 4, especially since I have a basic grasp of what happens in book 3.

Though, I stopped reading before getting to the storyline about the train, and since the train appears in later books, I'd want to read some reviews to find out what happened with that.

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The train only appears in the beginning parts of book 4, and everything you'd need to know is contained there... Book 3 ends with nothing really resolved...

message 40: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Mauve - if you're still interested in the series, you simply must keep reading. DT only gets better!

message 41: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) I'm about 100 pages in, and I'm not hooked yet. :(

message 42: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Really?

message 43: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) Yep, really. I'm not struggling to keep reading because I still care about the characters, but it's just not pulling me in.

message 44: by Dustin (new)

Dustin They are great characters, aren't they?

message 45: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments Personally, this is my least favorite of the whole series, but so necessary to the overall story. You can't give up, you must plow ahead! The rest of the series is completely worth it. And yes, the characters of the DT series are amazing, so detailed you feel you know them.

message 46: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 868 comments Ah, Delphyne --- something tells me you haven't met the wondrous Oy yet!!!!

message 47: by Christine (new)

Christine (christinesey) | 28 comments Bondama wrote: "Ah, Delphyne --- something tells me you haven't met the wondrous Oy yet!!!!"

Oy. Ah, he is one of my favorite book characters.

message 48: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) Yes, the characters are making all the difference for me. Thanks, Jaime. That helps to hear.

No. :) I haven't met Oy yet. I'm curious now, though!

message 49: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Yes, Oy is the best! Wastelands is my favorite of the series :)

message 50: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) I love how one book can be someone's least favorite and someone else's most favorite. :) That's awesome to me.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gunslinger (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ian D.G. Sandusky (other topics)