Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow, #7)
This topic is about Traitor's Knot
Wars of Light and Shadow > Traitor's Knot - welcome to the official discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Welcome to the official discussion of Traitor's Knot.

Arc III in the series has passed the tipping point unveiled in Peril's Gate. Expect the convergency to begin, right sharp, straight out of chapter set I.

The pace will pick up.

The set up is in place and the events will begin to reach explosive intensity.

Please don't feel you need to hold back! There are spoiler topics set up, and even, places for your to discuss the next volume if you wish to press ahead.

I am available for questions and insights, but will allow speculation and discussion free rein. There is an author free topic for those who prefer.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments It's been a while since I read this, but am starting a reread, so will be posting new ideas as fast as I can.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Speaking to the ongoing mystery of Lysaer's corruption by the curse vs his innate sense of justice, I found this passage early in this book which might be a foreshadowing of what's to come for him: Sulfin Evend has sought help for Lysaer from Enithen Tuer for his wasting addiction to foul blood rites, she says to him, "For breaking the sureties sworn by the Sorcerers, your prince's license to inhabit this world is revoked. His fate will be ruled by Paravian law. All the worse, for the trouble you carry tonight. As a man disbarred, Lysaer can't ask for the grace of a Fellowship intercession."

message 4: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Speaking to the ongoing mystery of Lysaer's corruption by the curse vs his innate sense of justice, I found this passage early in this book which might be a foreshadowing of what's to come for him:..."

What do you think this might mean?

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Perhaps he'll be sent back through the gate? And he can't call on the Fellowship for help.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Well there are some definite hints -- ahem, more like clobbers -- here. I just finished reading the scene between Sulfin Evend and Lysaer in the bath and it was brilliant. Sulfin dodging Lysaer while the images from his oath to the land given to Asandir come back to him.

The thing that I marked most clearly was the clarity of Lysaer's 'madness' and the pitifulness of his return to awareness where he is able to grasp that his half brother is innocent before the curse slams down once more. It did make me feel sorry for him. And Sulfin Evend is faithful to him for friendship, not ideology. Poor Sulfin! It's like being in love with a drug addict!

message 7: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Perhaps he'll be sent back through the gate? And he can't call on the Fellowship for help."

Why didn't the Fellowship just pitch him through a World Gate when they sanctioned him? Less loss of life. Lysaer's not necessary for the Black Rose Prophecy, right? He's done his bit fulfilling the other prophecy (Westgate?).

message 8: by Sandra (last edited Mar 01, 2011 04:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jon wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Perhaps he'll be sent back through the gate? And he can't call on the Fellowship for help."

Why didn't the Fellowship just pitch him through a World Gate when they sanctio..."

I think they still need both of them. It's been a while, but my recollection is that the Fellowship needs both princes to come back together again. But I understand your impulse! I've wanted to pitch him through the gate several times.

message 9: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Which Worldsend Gate?

Westgate - leads to the Red Desert, and is directionally sealed to Dascen Elur.

Northgate - you shall have to read on.

Southgate is closed.

Eastgate - ?? - what do you think lies past there?

message 10: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Janny wrote: "Which Worldsend Gate?

Eastgate - ?? - what do you think lies past there?"

Sometimes, I think about throwing Lysear back through the Westgate. Not very Christian of me, I know.

I'm curious to see what lies beyond Northgate and Eastgate. I know Marek ((view spoiler)) lies beyond the closed Southgate.

Any relation to the World Gates and the Towers at Ithamon? If so, then I might be able to speculate on the tenor of the buffer and splinter worlds beyond the North and East gates.

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Jon wrote: "Janny wrote: "Which Worldsend Gate?

Eastgate - ?? - what do you think lies past there?"

Sometimes, I think about throwing Lysear back through the Westgate...."

No relation...;)

Alissa | 52 comments I've posted a little of my mid-series impressions (spoiler free) so far on r/fantasy (change of venue, let's stir Janny's fans there, too). What do you think? Peril's Gate and now Traitor's Knot are shifting again my perceptions on the series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comm...