Chick Lit discussion

Trivia Q: Gay best friends?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenlipton) | 15 comments Hi everyone:

Please help satisfy a friend's curiosity. What are some chick lit books that have particularly memorable gay best friends? All answers appreciated. Thank you!

message 2: by Jann (new)

Jann | 17 comments Both of Julia Glass's books have gay characters--The Three Junes and the Whole World Over. The Whole World Over was particularly good.

The HOt Potato Queens has gay friendships. It is a little lighter than Glass's books.

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendajanowitz) | 8 comments I think that BOOKENDS by Jane Green was one of the first I read with a major gay character.

didn't BRIDGET JONES'S DIARY have one, too? or am i confusing the movie version?

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 9 comments "The Object of My Affection," by Stephen Macaulay featured a young woman and her gay best friend. Not necessarily "chik lit," but excellent reading, he is a great writer. It was made into a movie with Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston.

message 5: by Angela (last edited Jul 26, 2008 01:49PM) (new)

Angela | 9 comments Ah, Brenda beat me to it. When I think of gay best friends, I think of "Bookends" by Jane Green.

Also, my forthcoming novel, LEGS, features Val, a gay best friend. I'll keep you posted on when it is released so you can read it. I have an excerpt listed on this site, if you want a preview.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenlipton) | 15 comments Thanks! :)

message 7: by Meghann (new)

Meghann | 6 comments Lauren-I can't think of any chick lit books off the top of my head, two young adult lit books I can think of are Annie on my Mink and Am I Blue?

message 8: by Collette (new)

Collette (vwbernie) | 16 comments Sophie Katz in her 3 Latte mysteries by Kyra Davis has a flaming best friend who is a hairdresser. He is hilarious!! These are Red Dress Ink books.

Jennifer Sturman's chick-lit mystery novels The Pact, The Jinx, The Key and The Hunt also features a Rachel Benjamin who has 3 best girlfriends that help in solving her mysteries and one of them is gay. I can't remember her name but she is very chic and serious.

message 9: by Margo (new)

Margo Candela (margocandela) | 8 comments Would it be gauche to suggest two of my own? My first Underneath It All and my latest More Than This have characters who are friends and, yep, gay.