Outlander Series discussion

News > Visit Scotland

Comments Showing 1-50 of 707 (707 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by Ladyhawk (last edited Dec 01, 2010 08:02AM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Greeting to all my fellow obsessed Outlander fans! I just Recieved my December newsletter from Visit Scotland's Official Tourist Board and just had to share the site with you. Sign up for the monthly Newsletter. It's such a treat to find it in my inbox once a month! Enjoy!

http://www.cometoscotland.com/?utm_so...

Oh, one more, Edinburgh Festivals calender 2011

http://www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk/

message 2: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "Greeting to all my fellow obsessed Outlander fans! I just Recieved my December newsletter from Visit Scotland's Official Tourist Board and just had to share the site with you. Sign up for the month..."

Thank you for sharing this website. I just registered for getting this monthly Newsletter and I am very much looking forward to it. What a coincidence: I'm planning to tour Scotland this year in August/September. The new programmes of the local travel agents are not yet out, but today I desperately tries to book seats for the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh. Spending 3 hours at my PC, though, did not prove to be a success. Today started the online ordering and their system did not seem to cope with the amount of people being interested. I'll give it another try later.

message 3: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Your so welcome Lotte! The bottom link is spotlighting the Tattoo Festival! Did you follow that link? Perhaps you may find some useful links for online ordering from that website!

How exciting to be planning your trip! Don't forget to share photos when you return. I have seen some spectacular vacation photos from a couple of ladies from online book groups!

And if anyone reading has some to share, please post a link! Would love to see them! I think Photo Bucket or similar photo site is an easy way to share!

message 4: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 80 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "Your so welcome Lotte! The bottom link is spotlighting the Tattoo Festival! Did you follow that link? Perhaps you may find some useful links for online ordering from that website!

How exciting ..."

Flicker is a good way to share as well.

http://www.flickr.com/tour/10

message 5: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments @ Ladyhawk and Lydia, thanks for your suggestions. It will be still some time for the photographs, I then would have to ask how to do this. But good news: I just received a mail from Military Tattoo, telling me they registered my request and were now waiting for the payment. That must have been the moment the system went down. I'll phone them tomorrow, which will work better, as I hope ... despite the snow in both cities. According to the news Edinburgh must be badly affected.

message 6: by Mamamichelle (new)

Mamamichelle | 163 comments I hate to admit this, but what is the Military Tattoo...I am pretty sure it is not body art.

message 7: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 80 comments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Ed...

This should help. I didn't know either and googled it today @ work.

message 8: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Good Idea Lydia!
I learned of it myself just last year when Scotland was promoting "Homecoming Scotland" and had many events scheduled throughout the year to promote tourism.

You know... just feeding this Scottish fascination of ours!!
Heard Scotland was hit with some pretty extreme weather! I cring when I hear that! 'Cause I want to go there ya know. But dread the cold!!

I am really, really hoping and praying, that just maybe... the DH and family and I can get out there late next year to celebrate our 20th wedding anniv. Maybe renew our vows. Wishful thinking I know, but hey! It could happen?!

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) You asked for pics...here's some of my island pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anniedan...

Some autumn pics, mainly botanic gardens:

and any others you may be interested in. Scotland pics mixed in with some others.

A blog I did a few years ago with tips for visiting:
http://tourscotland.blogspot.com/

I should hang my head in shame as I've yet to go to the military tattoo or to Burn's night in January. Everybody says the tattoo is fabulous!

message 10: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 80 comments I am going to look at all them through out the day but what I have seen so far is absolutely beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

message 11: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Nae bother, hen! If anyone wants advice on where to visit and about transportation, etc., just give me a holler.

message 12: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Just got my ticket reservation for the Military Tattoo confirmed! It was lovely to have a Scotish lady on the phone. I'll be in Scotland end of August/beginning of September. Annie, dinna fash yourself, it is always the same: you're latest going to see the things around your corner.

message 13: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) I should get some tickets for the tattoo. I say that every year and never do. My dh isn't crazy about the crowds during August in Edinburgh. So will have to drag him there.

The national museums in Edinburgh are fabulous (and free). Also suggest Holyrood Palace. You can see a lock of Mary Queen of Scots hair on display!

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 31 comments thanks, I just registered also. I will spend some time looking through your pictures, though the ones I've seen so far look beautiful. I can't believe how interested I am in all things Scot. :)

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments Hey Annie Foo's yer wither? It's a wee bittie mental up here!.xx

message 16: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Annie, thanks for the pics! It still amazes me that I can sit in the comfort of my own home, half way around the world, and see beautiful Scottish scenery.

Being you are a resident of Scotland, yes I do recommend you see the MT at least once! LOL! But isn't that how it always is? The natives avoid the remarkable local events while others come from around the world to see them! Ha!

Lotte, glad you confirmed your tickets! One step closer aye!

message 17: by Ladyhawk (last edited Dec 03, 2010 07:45PM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments OMG, just viewed the first batch! Thank you so much for sharing those photos Annie! They stir my sense of wonder! Scotland just seems like such a magical place! I love the coos too! You lucky brat!

How do you pronounce "Blandahard"?

Btw, you and Danny make a great couple!

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Dave? My hub is Danny. He's a dear but has that viscious Scots sense of humour. Makes fun of everybody!!

Do you mean Balnahard? I'm guessing it's as it looks as I never heard an islander say it. Colonsay is gorgeous - as are many of the islands.

Fiona, we've got off pretty lucky weatherwise. No snow since Sunday - until this morning and now have flurries. We don't usually get much snow and it doesn't stick for long. How about you? Are you trapped in the house?

message 19: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments Annie wrote: "Dave? My hub is Danny. He's a dear but has that viscious Scots sense of humour. Makes fun of everybody!!

Do you mean Balnahard? I'm guessing it's as it looks as I never heard an islander say ..."

Oh fit?, we were totally snawed in from friday, 8" thursday nicht and it kept falling and still is, till tuesday and the stupid bit is that we are on the Moray coast, rite on the waters edge! lol Well here's hoping that ye's dinna get house bound like we did and end up wi cabin fever. :)

message 20: by Annie (last edited Dec 03, 2010 04:10AM) (new)

Annie (annieargyll) We've done really well compared to everybody else! No stuck cars. No school closings. We are a sea loch (Loch Long) which is why we usually do well snow-wise.

We're heading to America for xmas and are leaving in 9 days. We expect snow when we arrive, as usual. Ugh.

message 21: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments @ Annie: Thank you for sharing all the beautiful photographs with us. I has just time to view the first batch, will go on with the rest the forthcoming weekend. You were lucky to have some sunshine and temperatures to wear shorts, great. What is Burn's night? Is it about Robert Burns, oh no, you would spell it differently -so please tell me. January does not seem the time of the year to travel to Edinburgh. Why not, though? The long nights could very well be a nice contrast to the long days of a Scotish summer.

@ Ladyhawk: So lovely of you to be glad for me to have got the tickets confirmed, thank you very much indeed! Do you have any experience with the Military Tattoo?

message 22: by Ladyhawk (last edited Dec 03, 2010 07:49PM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Oh Annie, please forgive my carelessness! I was very brain fried when I got home and was looking through your pics and then wanted to comment before I logged off and turned in for the night. Was too lazy to go back and confirm names such as "Danny" and the correct spelling of Balnahard! Thought I made good mental notes but obviously I did not...

SO now I just feel foolish.;0( so sorry!

...I’ve learned nothing in Gaelic is EVER pronounced like it's spelled!! lol

message 23: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Lotte, sadly I do not have any experience with the MT. Other than study it yearningly last year when they were scheduled to perform. I also desparately wanted to attend the huge clan gathering that also took place. It looked to cool to miss!!

message 24: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) @Lotte, it's not common enough to wear shorts here!

Burns night is a celebration of Robert (Rabbie) Burns birthday. It entails whisky, haggis, poems, story telling, songs, a big party.

January is very cold and usually windy and rainier than normal. But this year we've had tons of snow dumped everywhere! Short days aren't a relief from long summer days! We love the long daylight in summer. It rarely gets hot here and in my area we often don't go above 72, and those days are rare.

Everybody says the Military Tattoo is fabulous! My brother and his family went with their kids and loved it.

message 25: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) @Ladyhawk, nae bother, hen!

Gaelic is never ever pronounced like it is spelled. All the towns here have signs with the name of the it in both English and Gaelic.

I still get laughed at for not being able to the gutteral 'ch' as in loch, Arrochar, Strachur, etc. My American throat wasn't made that way. Can't roll my 'r's either.

message 26: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments I'd love to visit, but a bit low on the cash front. It has always been on my bucket list. Maybe one day I can lure my husband there with the visions of golf courses. Thanks so much for posting the pics!

message 27: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (tribalrose) | 57 comments Annie wrote: "You asked for pics...here's some of my island pics:

Some autumn pics, mainly botanic gardens:
http://www.flickr.com/photo..."

Annie!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKYOU... for sharing your stunning photos with us. Your photography skills are brilliant & of course the subjects are breathtaking! You've sold me on the fact I MUST make the trip there some day.
Many Thanks again, Nadia - Melbourne Australia

message 28: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "Lotte, sadly I do not have any experience with the MT. Other than study it yearningly last year when they were scheduled to perform. I also desparately wanted to attend the huge clan gathering that..."

Sorry Ladyhawk, I do not quite understand this: you do not have any experience with the MT, but you were "scheduled to perform". Perform at the MT, what went wrong? Did you make it to Scotland/Edinburgh? I'm so sorry for you, having planned something like that and then it going thoroughly wrong!

message 29: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Annie wrote: "@Lotte, it's not common enough to wear shorts here!

Burns night is a celebration of Robert (Rabbie) Burns birthday. It entails whisky, haggis, poems, story telling, songs, a big party.

Jan..."

Annie, thank you again for these worderful photographs, I just looked them up again. I know a bit of the area titled "Islands", though it was years ago I travelled there. We went to the Isle of Skye in the days when there was not yet a bridge and we had to take a ferry! Then, passing one of the most spectacular castles "Eilean Donan Castle", we went down the peninsular of Kintyre and on to the Isle of Arran, then back to Glasgow. The B&B in Kintyre was geat, they had their own Standing Stones in the garden and in the morning you were waked up by peacocks walking on the roof.

This year I plan to see Mull and Iona and I'm also still missing the Outer Hebrides. You do not seem to know the Orkneys and the Shetland Islands, do you? This sounds really stupid, a Central European recommending to you something of your (2nd) country, but I really can tell you that these norther islands are well worth travelling. This was all in the time before digital cameras, I have just got hundreds of colour slides; and these are still waiting to be digitalized!

I'm fully with you, regarding long days! I wanted to say that they make up for the long nights in winter, though. I'd have to check how to get to Edingurgh off the season, via Heathrow I suppose.

message 30: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Lotte, my photo albums for islands (Skye, Islay, Colonsay) are only 3 of the islands I've visited. The others are mixed up with other photos. I've been to Mull and Iona many times, also Arran and Seil and Cumbrae.

I'm dying to visit the Orkneys! We're thinking about a trip to Barra. It's a big deal to get to the Outer Hebrides though. It's a 5 hour ferry trip which costs well over £200 for the ferry tickets. That's w/o accommodation, etc.

message 31: by Ladyhawk (last edited Dec 07, 2010 07:37AM) (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Lotte, No, never been to Scotland! Just study it a lot! I plan to be very well prepared when I finally get there! Cheers!

message 32: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Eilean Donan Castle high on my list of many places to visit! It is eerily beautiful!

I am also mentally preparing for the cold. Made the decision to avoid haggis.

message 33: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Eilean Donan is fabulous! At least on the outside and in its location.

Aye, be well-prepared with waterproof shoes, long raincoat with hood, and a fleece.

Haggis is not bad. Eat it like stuffing, with gravy.

message 34: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Annie wrote: "Lotte, my photo albums for islands (Skye, Islay, Colonsay) are only 3 of the islands I've visited. The others are mixed up with other photos. I've been to Mull and Iona many times, also Arran and..."

Thank you for telling me about the difficulties to get to the Outer Hebrides. It is stil time and I'd had to check, but flying there might even be better. That's what we did for the Shetlands and it was splendid.

message 35: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "Eilean Donan Castle high on my list of many places to visit! It is eerily beautiful!

I am also mentally preparing for the cold. Made the decision to avoid haggis."

Eilean Donnan is the model castle of Scotland, at least in my opinion. I can remember very well, I was there in early June and it was cold and windy, but NOT raining. All this adds to the atmosphere of the building, it would def. be different at 30C! (Sorry, I cannot manage the F, we had to do it at school, but that's a long way back.) And the lady at the counter had taken her "wee dram" against the cold, which would help with the haggis as well. Being in Scotland, you have to try it; we shared ours between 3 people and it was a bit spicy and we rather liked it.

message 36: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) I doubt it's ever been 30C near Eilean Donan! I wasn't really impressed with the inside of the castle - just the usual touristy displays, but the outside was cool!

You can fly to some of the Outer Hebridean islands and rent a car, but both will be very expensive. Barra's airport is the beach at low tide.

message 37: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Next time, I'm visitng Scotland (hopefully within the next year). I will definitely visit the highlands and the Skye. Dunvegan Castle of the McLeods' looks lovely. But I think it's being renovated. I'll wait.

message 38: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Considering your advice ladies, about haggis, I like stuffing. It may have helped had I held out knowing what it is! But...since I now know, is would take a lot to get me to eat it!!

So how does anyone ever look attractive in Scotland with the wearing of raincoats, water proof shoes, layers of clothing etc.. Just curious...

message 39: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) @Wan, if you haven't done it, hike up to the Old Man of Storr on Skye. Strange but amazing view from the top!

@Ladyhawk, Scots are naturally good-looking so it doesn't matter what they wear!

message 40: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments @Ladyhawk, Scots are naturally good-looking so it doesn't matter what they wear!"

I'm sure Annie, but how can you tell with all these darn clothes on?

message 41: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Thanks Annie.

message 42: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Nae bother, Wan.

Lady, they aren't all bundled up all year, just most of it. They seem to think it's 80F as soon as it hits 55 and off comes the clothes! The young...emmm..ladies..often wear those short tops that show the belly, and the belly is fat! Ack!

message 43: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Well then I'll fit right in!! I've earned more belly fat this year than ever before! The flavored coffees I think.
Can ya tell I'm dreading the cold, did I mention it, huh? did I?

message 44: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Cold!! Ha! Scotland is getting the worst winter in decades. Tons of snow, the country is half shut down and it's well below freezing!

message 45: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments Annie wrote: "Cold!! Ha! Scotland is getting the worst winter in decades. Tons of snow, the country is half shut down and it's well below freezing!"

Is that you just gettin what we had last week? Ma sister in law is in stirling and says its mental there. We have a major thaw on right now :) :) but its forcast for more snow n blizzards next week! still in minus figures tho! BBBBBRRRRRR

message 46: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) No, we've had snow off and on since Sunday before last, but we never got it as bad as other areas. The M8 to Glasgow became a car park, but that's across the water from us. Starting to warm up now and had a bit of rain this morning. Good thing. We have a flight to America on Sunday!

message 47: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Feeling for you folks!! We are a frigid 50 degrees F. In southwest USA! Hope all is well soon! Have a safe flight in Annie.

When you have a moment please share Hogmanay in Scotland!!
Was reading somewhere that early folks just recongnized 2 seasons, Summer and Winter. And Hogmany was a celebration of not just a new season but a new year as well. Would love some input...

message 48: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieargyll) Thanks, Lady. We've gone from -12C a few days ago to 9C today - nearly 50F.

Have only been here for one New Years so haven't done Hogmanay here. In Scotland there is First Footing as well. Heading into Glasgow shortly to our airport hotel, so no time to expand now.

Spring can be very nice here, especially May. By Feb we have snowdrops and soon following is daffodils.

message 49: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) | 116 comments Ladyhawk wrote: "Feeling for you folks!! We are a frigid 50 degrees F. In southwest USA! Hope all is well soon! Have a safe flight in Annie.

When you have a moment please share Hogmanay in Scotland!!
Was read..."

Hogmany in Scotland can go on for days starting with a major cleaning and cooking session from the 30/31st to a party that either lasts 1 night of 4 depending on where yer at, you are saying goodbye to the year past and welcoming in the new year. lol
Yer first footer is supposed to enter yer house just after the bells strike 12 midnight, they are ment be a tall handsome dark haired man who brings ye a bit of coal and always enters in the front door and exits out the back door, but now adays it doesn't matter if it's a man or not or about the coal just aslong as ye get a first footer. It is considered unlucky if yer first footer comes to yer house empty handed. (some of us Scots are superstious about these things, thats the way it is im affraid. lol) In saying that though once yer 1st foot, first fitter, has been, after havin a wee dram you can either stay in and party with friends, family & neighbours, who all take a turn at doing a party peice, or yer can go oot first footin(visiting as it will be well after 12) other people. Depending where you live in Scotland will depend on tradition, i have a mixture of North & Central so ours is a mish mash of both but there is always shortbread, blackbun,sweet mincemeat pies,a massive pan of broth,just to mention a few lol. There is always plenty of to drink, lots of singing & dancing, story telling and laughing.
On the 1st the family all gather and have a meal, abit like christmas but without the presents, after that the party starts all over again.lol

Hope this helps, getting really excited just typing this.x

message 50: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Awww Fiona, thanks for that! You gave me chills just reading about it! It sounds like sooo much fun! No wonder now that it is portrayed to those who have never experienced it as such a big deal! It is a big deal!

I guess getting a bit of coal isn't such a bad thing. lol
In the states if you get a lump of coal for Christmas its an indication you were naughty that year.

What is 'doing a party peice'?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15