Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Zombies Vs. Unicorns
This topic is about Zombies Vs. Unicorns
Zombies vs. Unicorns > "The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn" by Diana Peterfund

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Have you read author's "Killer Unicorn" novels? How does this story fit into that universe? Would you be interested now, after being introduced to the author's version of unicorns, in reading the series?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) I didn't care for this one. Again, I thought it was a bit hokey. It made me think of dumbo, with that baby unicorn being trapped and all, only not as good as dumbo.

Team Zombie is smiting Team Unicorn, imo.

Christie | 37 comments I have to respectfully disagree with you Heather. I think this is one of the strongest of the unicorn stories so far. It was interesting to see a unicorn as a killer.

I have not read the "killer Unicorn" novels but I am interested in reading them and seeing how they fit in with this short story.

message 4: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 13, 2010 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I liked this story as well. The unicorn mythology was interesting to me. And I liked the unicorn himself, very cute:)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) I liked Flower as well, but for me, this story wasn't consistantly good. I thought about abandoning it until she finally got baby flower. It might also be because I'm listening to these stories rather than reading them for myself. Narration may play a role...

message 6: by AH (new) - added it

AH I've read Ascendant and loved it. I really enjoyed the killer unicorn aspect - it seemed so original in the YA genre. No sparkly vampires. No werewolves. No fairies. Just unicorns that can kill you. And no - they don't sparkle.

What I liked is the author's use of different species of unicorns. There was the Einhorn (excuse any spelling errors), the Zhei (smaller ones) and then there was another breed. Each breed was different in its viciousness.

Colby (colbz) I absolutely LOVED this story. It was my favorite of the book! The part in the garage toward the middle made me so sad! I would read this one again now if I wasn't so freaking tired.

Julia | 432 comments I loved this story too and have requested from the library the two novels the author has written in this universe. (Apparently in the novels the heroine(s?) have been trained at the Italian convent.) I'd never heard of her before this story, which is one of the reasons why I like anthologies so much...

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I didn't know the author has books based on unicorns! cool! I liked this story. I also like the different species of unicorns. I thought it was neat. I wonder what ended up happening to the girls parents? It also had kinda a moral of the story. How humans keep building and pushing animals out of their habitat.. which in this story causes the unicorns to come into human habitats. Good story!