Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Zombies Vs. Unicorns
This topic is about Zombies Vs. Unicorns
Zombies vs. Unicorns > "Bougainvillea" by Carrie Ryan

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Did you like this story? Have you read Carrie Ryan's full length novels? How does this story compare to her novels set in the same universe?

Kellyflower | 28 comments I thought the feel of this story was different from her other stories dealing with The Return. Almost darker, sinister like.

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I agree with Jillian. I enjoyed this story much, much more than The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It was more mature, with a lot of compelling background, well fleshed out characters, and without nauseating, excessive teen love angst. I was immensely surprised by it.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) I loved this short story. Though I also enjoyed The Forest of Hands and Teeth. However, I agree that this short seemed a bit more sinister, perhaps because I find the ocean depths eerie in their own right, and when you think that zombie could be lurking under the water, well, that's just freaky.

Kellyflower | 28 comments I liked the second book The Dead-Tossed Waves a little bit more then the first and I enjoyed the short story about Sister Tabitha (Hare Moon) in the anthology Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love

message 6: by Julia (last edited Jan 01, 2011 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julia | 432 comments I've read and didn't care for The Forest of Hands and Teeth at all. I didn't even notice this story was by the same author 'til I read the comments here!
This was creepy, foreboding and very much had the feeling of the world zombie plague in World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and the very different, but also good "The Walking Dead." (I'm talking about the tv show here, I haven't made it to the graphic novels yet.)
But I liked how isolated Iza is by geography, by class and by her father's treachery.
SPOILER:

What I didn't like is her taking up with the pirate at the end...

message 7: by Polkweed (new)

Polkweed | 50 comments she kills the pirate at the end...

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments I haven't read The Forest of Hands and Teeth, but I did like this short story. Intriguing world and interesting characters. I really liked Iza.

But I wasn't sure how I liked the ending with the pirate.

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I love how scary the ocean was in this story. The author did a fantastic job of giving the reader the feeling of how characters felt about the water. Not sure how I feel about her killing the pirate in the end. I guess what happens is she doesn't want to be run by another man?

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I loved the way the story was told - going back and forth in time. However, I found it hard to imagine that the ruthless father who went to such lengths to protect his daughter was just an ordinary guy who used to watch football on Sunday's. That didn't help me understand her father better - it just confused me.

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree.. suddenly he went for normal guy to dictator.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Sarahtdl) | 4 comments I was so relieved that she took out the pirate at the end.

I sort of saw the shift between her normal dad to dictator dad in the same shift she makes at the end when she kills the pirate. I think the whole point was that some things can make ordinary people into monsters...

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

That's true... I live in Colorado and it seems to be happening all the time here.