The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Redbird Christmas - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
really, you sure you want to know everything?

message 2: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments This book almost makes me want to move to a hidden rural southern town. I figured Oswald would get married but I was surprised it was to Fannie. I'm so getting this book for my mom for Christmas. And I will never look at a can of Campbell's Tomato soup the same way again.

message 3: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments It's been too long since I've read this-I can't remember the Campbell's Soup reference. Help!

message 4: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments Thats how Oswald got his name. He was left as a baby on a door step with a can of Campbell's Tomato soup. Oswald was the next name on the "first name" list. Campbell was used for his last name (because of the soup) and he got the middle initial of T. for Tomato.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 617 comments I started reading this and got distracted...must get back on task!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 617 comments finished reading this today...have to say after I was initially skeptical I enjoyed it...the one thing that sort of irked me was when the bird die and they didn't tell the girl for so long because they thought she would be upset...instead they ended up lying to her...I mean, I know they wanted her to not get upset before the surgery, but it was still wrong...

message 7: by Shay (new)

Shay | 62 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "finished reading this today...have to say after I was initially skeptical I enjoyed it...the one thing that sort of irked me was when the bird die and they didn't tell the girl for so long because ..."

Don't you think at some point all of us have gotten "Guppy #2" and #3 and #4 thinking it was Guppy #1?

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 617 comments i always killed fish...so I never had guppy 1, 2 and 3...haha! but they never replaced it...i think that was more my issue...then they told her it was healed and flew away

message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay | 62 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "i always killed fish...so I never had guppy 1, 2 and 3...haha! but they never replaced it...i think that was more my issue...then they told her it was healed and flew away"

It's like the "your puppy is happy on the farm" story. I had a guinea pig that ended up with the Guinea Pig man that my dad insisted had 100's of guinea pigs. My guinea pig was lonely and wanted friends and had to go there. (Truth: dad was allergic to guinea pigs and it ended up in the pineapple field.)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 617 comments hahaha!

maybe because i was exposed to death relativly young...IDK...obviously it did some damage to her because when they said it had flown away she gave up because she was using it as a focal point for her rehab

message 11: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "hahaha!

maybe because i was exposed to death relativly young...IDK...obviously it did some damage to her because when they said it had flown away she gave up because she was using it as a focal ..."

But isn't that the point? It they would have told her the truth at the first she wouldn't have had a focal point for her rehab. And she was already questionalbly weak going in to the surgery. I'm not saying it was a good decision or a bad decision and I honestly don't know what I would have done. But I've never met a parent who hasn't lied to their child to protect them at some point.

I thought they would end up giving her the taxadermy bird to keep so I was surprised when they buried it. I do like the "he flew away" better than "here is your friend- he died but we stuffed him so you could keep him." I'm not really a fan of taxadermy animals. :P

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 617 comments i think it goes, for me at least, back to the fact that I was introduced to death at a very young age...a classmate of mine in kindergarten was killed in a car accident one weekend about 1/4 of the way through the school year along with his dad, and so my parents sat me down and talked to me about it - we went to the funeral and to the grave - to this day, 23 years later, when i'm in town, when I go to the cemetary, i still walk by his grave.

taxidermy animals freak me out...more so, after I watched an episode of criminal minds and he was killing people and putting their eyes in animals...haha! i'm sure you guys needed to hear that right?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I was not excited about this book, expecting it to be a sappy read. When I saw it on the library shelf the same day that it won the poll, I decided to give it a shot. I won't say that it was great literature, but it was a nice few hours of reading. It was a simple and uplifting holiday story. I did not find anything memorable about it, and I guess from the lack of discussion, few others did either.

message 14: by Karina (new)

Karina This is one of those cozy books that you read on your favorite chair, next to the fire place sipping on hot chocolate. It's no literary classic by any stretch of the imagination however it is one of those "feel good" easy read novels.

We had a cat about 10 years ago that my little sister loved, however she tragically was hit by a car when she was 2 and we had to lie to my younger sister (she was about 8) that the cat ran away because she was so attached to her my parents didn't want to upset her. Was it wrong, probably, but now that she knows now and she is older she is okay with it. Sometimes you tell those little white lies to help kids cope with adult situations. That's all I thought about when Oswald, Frances and Roy were trying to figure out what to tell Patsy after Jack died.