The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Do Androids Dream - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Please don't ruin it for me.

message 2: by Meera (new)

Meera I read this last year and I really liked it and made me want to read other books by the author. It was different from the movie though.

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani (The Pluviophile Writer) (pluviophilewriter) | 237 comments I have to say I am having one hell of a time trying to get a copy of this book right now. Everyone appears to be reading it! I might have to order it online and then rush to finish it before the end of the month!

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Have you checked out one of this collections? I have it in a collection of novels... cause I wasnt able to find it in print in the stores on it's own (that was two years ago!)

message 5: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) I have this book as pdf ebook format, if anyone wants a copy. No profit for me. Just sharing. :) Just send me a message with your email in it and I'll email it over.

I just finished another BOM read, so I'll (re-)start on this one today, I think. I had already started it about a month ago, but reading it as a group read is more fun!

message 6: by Meghan (last edited Dec 05, 2010 03:29AM) (new)

Meghan I really enjoy PKD. I like the ethical questions he raises. Science hasn't caught up but it makes one think. This makes me think of Never Let Me Go. They're different technologies, but run along the same ethical vein.

message 7: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Summary-wise, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Never Let Me Go seem to be very different. xD

Never Let Me Go makes me think of this one book I once read about these girls growing up with the Sisters of Mercy in Ireland and the deep dark terrible secret they shared growing up because of what happened at that home.

Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader) (listobsessed) | 317 comments I've just started!

The only thing I've read by this author before is a short story called 'We can remember it for you wholesale' which was the loose basis of the movie Total Recall. Have been wanting to read this one for some time.

message 9: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I got this from the library but haven't started. I'm not a big sci-fi fan but isn't the point of book club to read things you wouldn't read on your own? I need to remind myself of that!

Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader) (listobsessed) | 317 comments This is turning out to be a really quick read. About half way through already and really enjoying it! Didn't want to put it down for sleep last night...

message 11: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments I have this from the library but I'm having a hard time picking it up. Partly because I got a few other books from the library at the same time (why do all my holds seem to come in at the same time??) and partly because I'm not usually a sci-fi reader. I'll probably get into it and love it. It always seems like the books I dread I end up loving and the ones I'm so excited to read let me down.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 140 comments I can't wait to get started on this one. I have to wait until I get to my parents' house for Christmas. I'm going to check it out of the library there and read it over break. I've been wanting to read this forever and I can't wait to get started. :D

message 13: by Dani (new)

Dani (The Pluviophile Writer) (pluviophilewriter) | 237 comments I'm just about finished this book!It took me a bit to get use to the world that Dick has created as it is very complex and diverse and yet he managed to do it in such a dense and short novel. For the first time ever I actually thought that this book could have been a little bit longer for that reason. I read the first chapter over again just to wrap my head around this post-WWIII realm and to try and get my bearings in it and once I accomplished that I didn't look back and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's very different from movie (from what I can remember) and so far better (but books usually are).

Looking forward to finishing the rest of the book tonight!

message 14: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Which movie is that again? Blade Runner?

message 15: by Dani (new)

Dani (The Pluviophile Writer) (pluviophilewriter) | 237 comments Yeah, it's what got Kevin Costner famous. I believe it was made in 1983.

message 16: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Yeah, I've heard a lot about it, but never saw it. I think after I finish this book I'll watch the movie (just because it's one of those cult movies referenced in pop culture all the time!)

message 17: by Dani (new)

Dani (The Pluviophile Writer) (pluviophilewriter) | 237 comments Ha ha good idea. I usually try and read the book first if I plan on watching the movie. All I remember about the movie was how wierd it was. I don't think I ever saw it in its entirety.

message 18: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments I think I saw it as a kid. My family went to see a Beatles movie and my brother and I didn't want to see it so we were to watch some kids movie. I think we wondered into the wrong theatre on accident. I didn't understand one lick of it. I would have been maybe 10.

message 19: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Wasn't it Harrison Ford in Blade Runner? Anyway, I was very glad for the excuse to read this book. My brother in law gave it to me for christmas a few years back and it's been sitting on my bookshelf ever since. I've read a lot of other Philip K. Dick and always enjoyed it. I'm about halfway through and it's a super fast read. I'll probably finish it tonight! Happy reading, everyone.

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda (verywordy) | 4 comments I was surprised to find that I loved this book and the questions it raises. I think I saw the book but I don't remember it very well - I may need to go back and see it after having read the book.