College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > A Christmas Carol: The Movies

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) As I stated on the other thread (A Christmas Carol: The Book), I’ll be leading this month’s group read of A Christmas Carol and decided to do things a little differently. This thread is where we can discuss all the various movie adaptations of A Christmas Carol as well as play adaptations or any other media adaptations of this book. Here are a few questions to get you started:

Was your first encounter of A Christmas Carol through a movie or the book or something else?

How many movie adaptations have you seen?

What movie adaptations is your favorite? Least favorite?

Have you seen A Christmas Carol on stage?

I’m going to watch a handful of movie adaptations throughout the month, so I’ll keep you all posted on my thoughts about each one as I watch them.

message 2: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments I've read the book about a 10 times but have never watched any movie but i would like to see some..
And I've seen ACC on stage once and the play was really awesome

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I love the Mickey one! I remember it from when I was really little. I don't think I have seen any other adaptions, so if I have, they didn't make much of an impression.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments My first encounter with A Christmas Carol was through one of the movie adaptations. I don't think I've ever read the book, I've probably read parts of it but not the whole thing.

When I was in elementary and middle school every December we always went on a field trip to see the play version of A Christmas Carol.

My favorite movie adaptation is the Muppet version. I don't remember the Mickey version but I'm sure I've seen it.

message 5: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) I love the muppet version too!

message 6: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments Oh my gosh! I remember the Muppets one! I think I need to rent it this month.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) Seems like what stands out in everyone's minds so far is the children's adaptions! I'm sure I've seen both the Muppet and Mickey versions, but not since I was a kid. I currently have the Muppet version on hold at the library though! And I'll have to look into finding the Mickey version somewhere.

I asked my mom what her favorite movie adaptation was and she said the 1951 version. I don't know if I've seen it or not, so I'm getting it from netflix, and I'll let you all know what I thought of it after I watch it.

Also, has anyone seen the newest disney version with Jim Carrey? I remember when I saw previews I thought it looked bad, but I've heard from some people that they really enjoyed it, so I think I'll have to check it out.

message 8: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I didn't go see it because it was Jim Carrey. He drives me insane. :)

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) Tami wrote: "I didn't go see it because it was Jim Carrey. He drives me insane. :)"

I used to hate Jim Carrey until I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which ended up becoming my favorite movie. Anyway, even if you still don't like him, I don't know much much that would affect the movie since it's animation anyway so it's just his voice.

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments My absolute favorite version is the one with Alistair Sims. I think that's the 1951 version your mom is talking about, Jenna.

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) Kimberly wrote: "My absolute favorite version is the one with Alistair Sims. I think that's the 1951 version your mom is talking about, Jenna."

Yup, that's the one. I'll be getting it in the mail tomorrow!

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Jen wrote: "My first encounter with A Christmas Carol was through one of the movie adaptations. I don't think I've ever read the book, I've probably read parts of it but not the whole thing.

When I was in el..."

Muppet version was my first Christmas Carol experience and is STILL my favorite! I NEED to find it on DVD now that I am thinking about it!

message 13: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) I just watched the Muppet version last night! I had totally forgotten that Michael Caine played Scrooge... I loved that. And I realized that even though it was a kid's version of the story, it still was just as heartwarming. I think it is just such a perfect story no matter what the format.

Anyway, I still have yet to watch the 1951 version that I have from netflix. But I'm completely snowed in my house today, so it might be a good day for it.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker My two favorite movie adaptations are the Muppets one and the Disney one. The Muppets one just cracks me up. And the Disney one makes me cry at the end.

I've seen it on stage before. My town puts one on. It's not a huge production (such as when they do The Nutcracker), but it's definitely better than a high school play.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hedgehoggal) My first encounter with A Christmas Carol was when I saw the movie with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge. I love that one, especially the ending. I also love the Christmas Carol Musical. Has anyone seen that version? I have seen other versions, but these two are my favorites.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments There's also the different movies that are loosely based on A Christmas Carol. The only one I can think of right now is Ghosts of Girlfriends Past.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments My favorite movie adaptation is definitely Scrooge. It was made in 1970 and it's musical and cheesy, but it's also one of my mom's favorite Christmas movies. We watch it together, so every time I see it I think of her and being home for Christmas.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Does anyone remember what the Mickey one is actually called? Or has anyone seen it on DVD? I keep looking around but can't find it and I really wanna watch it :o(

message 19: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) Sarah wrote: "Does anyone remember what the Mickey one is actually called? Or has anyone seen it on DVD? I keep looking around but can't find it and I really wanna watch it :o("

I believe it's just called Mickey's Christmas Carol.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) OMG I think you're right. I feel like such a dummy, lol. I finally found it on Amazon too.

I finally got the Jim Carey version from Redbox tonight, can't wait to watch it!

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I watched The Muppet's Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve. It was just as great as I remember it!

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Haha. I watched that this afternoon! I had fun singing along.

message 23: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) I grew up with the Mickey and the Muppets version, but last year, I went with my younger brother to see the Disney/Jim Carrey version in theaters. I was really impressed with how true they stayed to the story.

This year, I watched Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol for the first time, and I really enjoyed that, too.

message 24: by Paulabits (new)

Paulabits I recently watched Jim Carrey version and I fell asleep, I found it really slow.

I'm looking forward to read the book and watch Bill Murray version, 'Scrooged'.