twilight lovers! discussion

Monthly Group Reads > Graceling Book Discussion: December 2010

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla (last edited Dec 01, 2010 05:54AM) (new)

Kayla Okay, guys. Sorry these are a teeny bit late. This is the topic where we can discuss Graceling. Here are my questions for you all:

1. I know everybody says 'Don't judge a book by it's cover,' but I want you to do just that. Based on the title, the cover, and the short description the author gives, how do you think you will like this book?

2. Have you even heard of this book before?

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla When I saw the cover, I though the sword with the reflection of the girl with different colored eyes was very interesting, and i read the back cover - I actually originally thought it would be more of a torture/fighting book.
I have! It was on the Lone Star Reading List (a list of books chosen by local librarians - the books tend to be interesting or have a twist in some way.)

message 3: by Brandee (new)

Brandee | 23 comments From just the cover it looked like something I many NOT pick up. But then I read what it was about, and even though I am more in to vampires and warewolfs this book sounds like it would be a fun read. I put this book on my to read list. :0)

message 4: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Based on the title, cover and description it doesnt sound like a book that I would normally enjoy. I dont really like gore and since the cover mentioned that it was about a girl who can kill a man with her bare hands, I immediately thought I wouldnt like it. The only thing that draws me to the book is its title. Im wondering if the title "Graceling" means that she will find some type of grace that will allow her to overcome her "talent". Anywho, I could just be reading too much into it, but we will see.

I have heard of it before because its recommended for people who like Twilight.

I plan on starting to read this after I read harry potter, maybe towards the middle of the month :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought the cover looked really eye catching and would be something I would be drawn to. Very Paranormal.

I have never heard of this until recommended on here.
Looking forward to it. I'm reading this at the moment

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments so this is not a book i would of normally picked up, but i saw it here as a challenge and ordered it and so far I like it, i wont say anything much as I have no idea where you all are, but the book hooked me at one particular spot...but im not surei f i should even mention it as i am not sure what you all have read, i am new to this discussion on books, not sure how you all generally do this! i normally read it and never talk about it as none of my friends are readers! i will eait to see what kind of post come up here....

happy reading all

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments oh the cover too is something that would not normally catch my eye as i too thought it more of a fighting book, and a historical type book which i never fancy reading...but the old saying of dont judge a book by its cover it true....

message 8: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Michelle I agree, its not something I would normally read because of the fact that the cover makes it seem kind of gory, but feel free to post the particular spot that stuck out to you. What we normally do is just post

***SPOILER***

right at the beginning of your post if it will contain anything that will spoil the plot for others. That way people who havent finished the book know to skip over your post, while the people who have read it can feel free to read and comment :)

message 9: by Kayla (new)

Kayla If you want to specify that more so that those who are partially done may be able to read, you could go back and look at the page number, but that's not necessary.
I would actually like page updates. What page is everyone on?

message 10: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Okay guys, here are some discussion questions to think about.

So far in the story, which character seems to be the protagonist? Which seems to be the antagonist? Which character do you personally relate to the most?

How do you like the idea behind the story? The kingdoms and everything?

I would also like page number update for all of you - what page are you on?

message 11: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Havent started the book yet, Im waiting until Im dont with HP, but when I do I'll jump right in

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (ziraels) | 15 comments Well I just finished reading the book last night and Im already looking for vol.2 - Fire :) The books is easy to read and sometimes quiet funny. I gave it 4 stars (5 stars are only for books worth reading over and over). Hope you will find it interesting too

message 13: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Wow at 4 stars it must be very good! I'll be honest it doesnt seem like my kinda book! Normally I stray away from paranormal, super power type books! Twilight is they only one that made it through and that is because Im a sucker for good romances. The month is zooming by though s Im not sure I'll be able to go out and read this one :(

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 32 comments Yum-Yum the Warrior wrote: "Okay, guys. Sorry these are a teeny bit late. This is the topic where we can discuss Graceling. Here are my questions for you all:

1. I know everybody says 'Don't judge a book by it..."

This would not be something that I would pick out. And I haven't ever heard of it before.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 32 comments So the protagonist is Katsa, and to begin with the antagonist to me would be Randa for her. This book was a slow start for me until Po really came into the picture and I haven't been able to put the book down.
SPOILER???
I really didn't expect to get into it the way it started but then the love story and all the graces, it has just been awesome, hope to finish today and maybe start on Fire depending on how this ends. I am on about page 270. Thank you for this pick otherwise I would have missed out on an AWESOME Book!!!!!!!

message 16: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Haha, you're welcome. I thought that I really couldn't or wouldn't enjoy this and it is now one of my favorites, though you don't have to have read Graceling to read Fire because (SPOILER...? Maybe) Fire is set about 20 years before Katsa is even born and the only same character is Leck.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 32 comments Well I finished it and it would definitely be a book I would read again! Hope everyone else enjoys it too! @ Yum-Yum the warrior have you read Bitterblue? Did you like Fire as well as Graceling?

message 18: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Yes, I have read Fire. It was very interesting. I have not read Bitterblue, as it is not out yet. :P But I look forward to getting it.