What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED - 1) Astral Projection, sister taking girl's place 2) Girl on island falls in love with deaf boy [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 30 comments Reading Haunted Sister reminded me of two other YA books I read in my early teens (so about 15 years ago). I hope you can help me find them

The first is about a girl who discovers she's able to leave her body by using astral projection (or something close to it). She falls down a chasm in some rocks but leads her younger brother to where she fell by projecting herself onto the top of the rocks.

She has what she thinks is a spirit guide that teaches her how to get better and better at leaving her own body, but it turns out that it's another girl (who's locked up either in prison or a hospital) who wants to 'take over' her body. Once she succeeds in this the main character has to find a way to trick her to leave her body again so she can get it back. I *think* she lives on an island and has to take the ferry to the main land to go to school, but that may also be the next book.

2) The other book may or may not be called "I Love You". I tried googling but couldn't find it. Anyway, it's about a girl who lives on an island where she meets up with a deaf boy. She knows a bit of sign language enabling them to get to know each other and eventually fall in love.

Both were YA and not exactly new 15 years ago. I hope they ring a bell with some of you.

message 2: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 33 comments Is the first book "Stranger With My Face" by Lois Duncan?

message 3: by Maria (last edited Jul 25, 2008 11:21AM) (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 30 comments I'm almost certain that's it! The title sounds familiar and I used to read a lot of books by Lois Duncan.

Thanks!

message 4: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments 1) is unquestionably Stranger With My Face.

message 5: by Becca (new)

Becca (becca2) | 7 comments Loved, loved, loved Stranger With My Face when I was a young preteen! I still have the book all these years later.

message 6: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 20 comments aha! Could 2) be "Tell Me How the Wind Sounds" by Leslie Davis Guccione? Here is the Synopsis:

An ordinary summer at the beach becomes a life lesson in love and understanding when fifteen-year-old Amanda meets Jake, a seventeen-year-old deaf boy.

http://www.amazon.com/Tell-How-Wind-S...

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 30 comments Yes Morgen, that's it! Wasn't sure until I checked out the Danish title, but bells ringing all over the place, so thanks! :)