twilight lovers! discussion

Monthly Group Reads > Harry Potter Book Discussion: December 2010

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krystal (last edited Nov 30, 2010 09:51PM) (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Hey guys,

So here is our thread to discuss any and everything related to our group reading of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

My first discussion questions for you all are...
1. Is this your first time reading Harry Potter or have you read it before?

2. How do you feel you will like the books once your done reading or re-reading it?

message 2: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments This is my first time reading Harry Potter and I think I will like the books. I've seen the movies so far and they are good, but I have never really been interested in reading the series at all. Hopefully this isnt the type of book where the movies are 100% better than the books, only time will tell!

message 3: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika it's mine 2nd time
and rereading seems cool... there were alot of things that i almost forgot about the book since i read it a long back and i'm excited for reading it again.....

message 4: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Good shwetika.....so that tells me it must be a very good book if your interested enough to re-read it. I can tell that Im in for a treat. I actually havent started it yet, I'll probably start reading tonight once I go home!

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla I have read it before. I have actually read all of them at least two times, plus I have seen all the movies, including the newest. But they never get old, I love them and will be happy to read them again.
I also think I may like them more, because I tend to be a skim-reader, so I get something new out of it every time I read something. :P

message 6: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Yum-Yum the Warrior wrote: "I have read it before. I have actually read all of them at least two times, plus I have seen all the movies, including the newest. But they never get old, I love them and will be happy to read them..."

lol...a skim reader?

message 7: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 65 comments TIS I! RESIDENT POTTER HEAD!

I love SS because it's this really innocent novel, while not being really kiddish. Theres little side things for people older than 9 to laugh about.
And the books are better than the movies in my opinion.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have never read them before but watched them over and over thanks to my 8 year old son being totally obsessed with Harry Potter. I really like the films so I am hoping the books will be even better, Me and my son are joint reading this at bed time. We are reading it out load so it could take a while.

message 9: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Guitar Chick-Dolly Dagger wrote: "TIS I! RESIDENT POTTER HEAD!

I love SS because it's this really innocent novel, while not being really kiddish. Theres little side things for people older than 9 to laugh about.
And the books..."

Im glad you mentioned that its a really innocent book. I have been hesitant to read this book because I dont really like much of anything that has to do with witchcraft etc. but I decided to give this a try and see how it goes.

message 10: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Krystal wrote: "Yum-Yum the Warrior wrote: "I have read it before. I have actually read all of them at least two times, plus I have seen all the movies, including the newest. But they never get old, I love them an..."

Why yes. I can't read all the word on the page or I'll go crazy. I only read about half or two-thirds of the words on a page. I still get the full story, but everytime I read it I get something new out of it. This is also why I finished all three Lord of the Rings in three days. :P

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 737 comments Mod
Grrrrr I forgot my book..will get it tomorrow and get started

message 12: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika Krystal wrote: "Good shwetika.....so that tells me it must be a very good book if your interested enough to re-read it. I can tell that Im in for a treat. I actually havent started it yet, I'll probably start read..."

ya it's a great book. better than movie ..... and the story as we all know is good and the plot is awesome and i totally love paranormals so....

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 32 comments This is my first time reading the book, and I also have never seen the movies so I am in for a surprise!

I hope to get out of this my continued love for reading which Twilight brought back, and also maybe a new genre of writing that I will enjoy!

message 14: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Ok so I got the book this morning, and my first thoughts when I picked it up was...'Oh Lord, what have I gotten myself into!". I guess Im jugding a book by its cover, but I almost felt kinda embarrassed buying it. I couldnt help wondering to myself....how odd does it look for this twenty-something year old to be reading this book! I suppose it didnt help that the book was deep in the Childrens section of my bookstore........but then again....I did kinda feel the same way about Twilight.......but at least twilight was listed in the Young Adult section!! Harry potter was in Childrens, right beside the Berenstain bears, etc. Oy Vey!

message 15: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Ehh, don't feel too bad. I've gotten by dad hooked on by young adult and teen books and children novels, so when he goes to the bookstore he is the only 40 year old looking through the childrens books. Another good thing is that with it being so close to Christmas (or other religious holidays) you could be mistaken as buying a gift for a niece or nephew or son or daughter. :P

message 16: by Shwetika (last edited Dec 04, 2010 03:05AM) (new)

Shwetika Krystal wrote: "Ok so I got the book this morning, and my first thoughts when I picked it up was...'Oh Lord, what have I gotten myself into!". I guess Im jugding a book by its cover, but I almost felt kinda embarr..."

I know every time I go to a bookshop and ask for some Ya book the shopkeep gives me that funny look and even i feel a little odd coz a 20 year girl is not suppose to read ya books ... N when i went to shop and asked for HP:ss the lady on counter asked me if it was for my nephew/nieces and then i didn't told her it was for me .... and said yeah my sis is visiting us in this winter break n i'm planning to read this to my nephew (but in reality I don't have any nephew ) lolz

message 17: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments This weeks discussion questions are

1.What are your main observations so far in the book? So if you are reading or reading, what have you noticed?

2. The title of each of the chapters provides some clues as to what will occur in each. Do the titles tell the whole truth? How do they reveal some of the more symbolic meaning of the story?

message 18: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Ok so how far along is everyone....Im progressing pretty slowly through this book, not because its slow, but because I'm doing 3 million other things...lol.
So far Im only on page 71. The main thing I've noticed so far is how much the movie REALLY sticks to the books very well!

message 19: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (ziraels) | 15 comments This was my 3th or 4th reading of this book :) I really do like Harry series

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 28 comments I read it for the first time this month. Finished it on the 8th.

message 21: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments howd you like it Awesome vegan?

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 32 comments I am so glad you picked this book to read because I would have never added it to my to read list! I really enjoyed this book! And am looking forward to read the others. The titles of the chapters did give you a clue about what the chapter was about however you had to have some idea what they meant to figure it out. Thank you again!

message 23: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika I love HP!!!!!

message 24: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Ashley wrote: "I am so glad you picked this book to read because I would have never added it to my to read list! I really enjoyed this book! And am looking forward to read the others. The titles of the chapters..."

Thats awesome! I'm so glad you liked it! Yeah the chapter titles were pretty nuch self explanatory! I especially liked Diagon Alley. I could picture the excitement and everything that Harry must've felt as he was exploring this world for the first time.

I like this book because its the beginning of Harry journey. I recently saw "The Deathly Hallows" and its funny to think of how innocent everything looks now compared to what will be happen in the future! (no spoilers here I promise..lol)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 28 comments It was pretty good. I am going to continue the series in 2011. :)

message 26: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (ziraels) | 15 comments Me too :D I read it all like twice already but Im going for 3th time after new year.

message 27: by Kayla (new)

Kayla I'm planning to reread the seventh book before the next half of the movie come out.

message 28: by Sharon (new)

Wait where have I been?

We already had the discussion? :)

message 29: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystal_f) | 1609 comments Messy Sharon! Yes the discussion questions were posted already..lol

message 30: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Haha... and now, this month's read is Firelight. The topic has already been made. :) Where have you been? lol

message 31: by Emily (new)

Emily | 97 comments I read it I like it.

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Krystal wrote: "Messy Sharon! Yes the discussion questions were posted already..lol"

yes a big mess lol ha ha ha