Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Presley | 119 comments Mod
Please discuss Stave 1 here.

message 2: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Presley | 119 comments Mod
(Cross-posted on the blog)

So in a short hour I've finished Stave 1 already. Before I talk a bit about my thoughts, let me just say that although I'm very familiar with this story, I've never actually read the book. I've seen all the different movie versions, but never went to the source.

My first thought was.. "This is easy!". My experience with Dickens has been limited to A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield, and maybe it's just that I'm so familiar with the story (although I doubt it), but this book reads a heckuva lot easier then I remember those other books reading.

I found it interesting how much time and care is taken in introducing Scrooge. The tone is set by that lengthy description of him, the ominous mood is set by the simple assertion that yes, indeed, Marley is dead. What was different to me is the lack of emphasis placed on the clerk. When I got to thinking about it though, there really isn't much of an emphasis placed on Bob Cratchit in the movies either, it's just more prominent because he's given more of a voice.

Much of the rest of this first stave though was very similar to what I've seen in the movies (my mom's favorite is the Muppet one lol). I am already beyond excited to get to the rest of the book and looking forward to experiencing it this Christmas for the first time.

... I've even decided that this will be our Christmas bedtime story for the kiddos. =)

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (megoizzy) | 40 comments I already posted on the blog comments, but I finished both stave 1 and stave 2 already. I am delighted/surprised with how easy this is to read, as I've always been under the impression that Dickens was not for me. Sometimes I get a little lost in the language, especially when he harps on in one soliloquy, and I'm also a little confused by exactly who the narrator is supposed to be, because occasionally he addresses the reader very directly and that confuses me. But otherwise, it's a very engaging story. I will probably finish the whole thing by the end of the week!

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnasafford) I think one of my favorite things about this season is reading Christmas literature. Here in "Marley's Ghost" we see two distinctly different types of men. Scrooge and Marley were penny-pinchers who didn't enjoy life. On the other hand we have Scrooge's nephew and clerk who are happy with the season for the sake of the season. Yes, times are difficult, but they were not bah humbugging everything. Marley enters to warn Scrooge to change. Hmmmm, isn't that fitting for today? Instead of concentrating on material wealth, spend time enjoying the season and those around us. =)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I had also never read this book, but like everyone else, I had seen multitudes of movie adaptations over the years.

I hadn't thought about it before reading Stave 1, but you're absolutely right in that the movies don't put all that much focus on Bob Cratchit. I hadn't noticed that I suppose. Though, I had religiously watched the Disney version for years as a child (Mickey as Bob Cratchit). Regardless of whether the movie actually places any focus on Bob, when it's Mickey...you notice.

I'm really enjoying it so far though - perfect read for the cold nights with a blanket and tea. :)

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnasafford) I have been thinking about your point that not much is made of the clerk here. While I like his character much more because he isn't grumbling and complaining, I think we are drawn more to Scrooge through this because he does grumble. It definitely makes you want to know why he is like this and what is going to happen to him.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina (iubookgirl) | 24 comments I've also been enjoying this more than I thought I would. I just posted my thoughts on Stave I, but to sum up I don't think the language bothers me as much because it is a Christmas story. It seems fitting somehow. I also get a lot more of the references than I probably did in high school.

In reading everyone's comments here, I agree that Bob Cratchit isn't as prominent a character as you might expect. I did keep waiting for him to get a little scene of his own, but wasn't really disappointed when he didn't.