Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > The Iron King--December Group Read--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ok to post spoilers here.

Please remember to uncheck the "Add to my Update Feed" option before submitting your post.

message 2: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 48 comments So I didn't like this book as much as I was hoping I would. It didn't really grab me until she brought up the Iron Fey. I do like this twist on the typical Fey mythology though, it made it really interesting. I do love Ash though, I just wish Megan was a little less whiny. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks...

message 3: by Josh (new)

Josh (firequake) I enjoyed the book quite a bit, enough that I went on to read the next two installments of the series. I agree that Megan is a little whiny, but she gets better (somewhat) later on. To me, all the Fey in this book seem to be outlandish and overly melodramatic, but its definitely bearable. I really like the direction the series is going in, and am surprisingly anxious for the next one in early 2011.

message 4: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Payne (georgiep) | 5 comments Im going to crack this one today.

message 5: by Lisa M (last edited Dec 17, 2010 10:13AM) (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments EDITED -- Here is my official review. I wrote more originally, but clicked a wrong button and it vanished into cyberspace.

This is a very entertaining read. I enjoyed the introduction of the Iron Fey. It was a new and unique concept (although I admit I haven't read many fey books). The earlier parts, before the iron fey come in, are similar to other books involving the fey realm. The adventure's different but with similar themes. It doesn't truly grow into its own book until the iron fey show up. They were wonderfully unique.

The characterization was weak. It didn't really take much away from the book, but the chacters (other than Meghan) needed more fleshing out. The rulers of the courts (the Iron King included) had no depth to them. Not a huge loss, except with the Iron King. He was a disappointing antagonist, his goals linear and predictable. He needed more depth. Ash and Robbie had hints of personality, but stayed within their archtypes: one a sexy warrior, the other a prankster. The relationship between Ash and Meghan irked me. I have an old pet peeve about characters falling in love because one is hot. There was no personal chemistry there (just physical). Meghan had a much deeper and stronger history with Robbie. Meghan was believeable, although I never really connected with her I still liked her. By far, Grimalkin was my favorite. Best line ever, "I am a cat." How very cat-like. I laughed at that.

Even with the just-okay characters, this is still worth reading. I'll pick up the next one.

message 6: by Qylie (new)

Qylie | 4 comments I don't read enough YA books to know how this book is suppose to read. I read The Hunger Games and feel that it is better then this book but not by leaps and bounds. I enjoyed the flow of this story, it was a quick read and for the most part there were very few dull parts. The humor kept the book rolling even with the lack of in-depth character development.

message 7: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I really enjoyed this series starter. The series reminds me of Laurel K. Hamilton's Meredith Gentry series with the feuding Fey but without the sex. When the Iron Fey are introduced, it finally changes into something unique and interesting. Of all the characters, I liked Prince Ash of the Unseelie court the best.

I've also read The Iron Daughter and greatly enjoyed it. I am anxiously awaiting The Iron Queen.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I gave it 4 stars, mostly because of the Iron Fey concepts. Very cool way to change things up. I agree with Barbara about it feeling like a YA Merry Gentry. It also strongly reminded me of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series, with Ash being the winter prince and all. It's hard to read about the Fey and not have the same characters and settings so I think this was a good start to a series and it has a touch of something new to it. I liked Meghan and hope to get to know her a bit better in the next book. I will definitely continue the series!

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 23 comments I saw a great contest on Julie Kagawa's blog, ... signed set of all three Iron Fey books? (With doodles.) Here's what you need to do for your chance to win.
http://juliekagawa.blogspot.com/2011/...

message 10: by Qylie (new)

Qylie | 4 comments I posted a pic of the iron horse - http://screencast.com/t/fbHvy1LDv

I like it!

message 11: by Harlequin Books (new)

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 23 comments Cool!

message 12: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Nice pic! Thanks for sharing. And thanks for sharing the contest too. :)

message 13: by Harlequin Books (new)

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 23 comments I'm putting this news here with the hope it will reach those who enjoyed the Iron Fey series in time.

Stop #2 of #IronQueen Court Blog tour was yesterday! Stop in to win a custom iPod!

http://www.pageturnersblog.com/2011/0...

Open to US only, contest ends Feb. 7th 2011