Dumbledore's Army discussion

Movies > Changes to movies?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sierra (last edited Nov 30, 2010 07:27PM) (new)

Sierra (sierrac) | 5 comments Any changes to any movie? did they not do something wrong in the movie? Complaints? Feel free to post!!!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

They missed a ton in the seventh. Luna's room, Ted Tonks, Seamus, and Griphook by the tent, The Dursley's Goodbye, The Tonks' house before The Burrow, Krum at the Wedding, and lots more. But still a great movie! best HP movie yet!

message 3: by Pandy (last edited Dec 04, 2010 03:57PM) (new)

Pandy | 637 comments Here are a few added scenes/changes that I like in the movies (not that I'd want the books to be different):

From PoA:
* Buckbeak's expanded flight
* Lupin's conversations outside with Harry (especially the scene where he talks about Lily on the bridge)

From OotP:
* Luna and Harry's conversation in the forest (when she's feeding the thestrals).

From HBP:
* Harry comforting Hermione after she sees Ron kissing Lavender
* The way Harry acts under the influence of Felix, which is more exaggerated than it is in the book
* Slughorn's story about Frances

From DH1:
* Ron kissing Mrs. Cattermole and Reg showing up in his underclothes!
* Hearing the death toll mounting on the radio while the trio is shown camping is a nice effect. (They do hear about murders on Potter Watch in the books.)
* The Snatcher chase (without music)

message 4: by *Sklip* (new)

*Sklip*  (stalkerninja) | 146 comments Nikos-The snow is staying this time =) wrote: "They missed a ton in the seventh. Luna's room, Ted Tonks, Seamus, and Griphook by the tent, The Dursley's Goodbye, The Tonks' house before The Burrow, Krum at the Wedding, and lots more. But still ..."

Be positive!
They did actually got 90% of the book accurate~!

message 5: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 2 comments There were a bunch!!!

DH1:
*Voldemort didn't come to Godric's hallow which would've made the movie a little more exciting.
*like someone said b4 about Luna's room
*Harry didn't pretend to be a Weasley during the wedding.
*Harry didn't read the life and lies of Dumbledore.
*there was never really a goodbye scene with the Dursley's.
*Kreacher didn't really warm up to them
*I can't remember but i dont think Harry found that letter that Lily wrote to Wormtail

But i do have to say that this movie was A LOT better than the previous 2.. :/ in those ones the students would be wearing muggle clothes sometimes, which was just weird because they're not supposed to know how to dress like that. also, Dumbledore didn't have his half moon spectacles during the 6th one..i mean how hard is it to get a pair of fake glasses for the old guy!!
..I'm sure there are a lot more but im done for now lol

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina | 1 comments Well, the movie was pretty accurate and I can understand they left out a few scenes( too not make the movie too long) but there were these small details that were kind of stupid not to use. Luna is supposed to have a sunflower in her hair at the wedding or Ginny's golden dress. Another thing that they didn't need to leave out was Harry's Birthday Party, because it was a short scene and wouldn't have made a lot of difference in time.

message 7: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Chrissy wrote: "There were a bunch!!!

DH1:
*Voldemort didn't come to Godric's hallow which would've made the movie a little more exciting.
*like someone said b4 about Luna's room
*Harry didn't pretend to be a Wea..."

I think Voldemort's coming to Godric's Hollow would have confused it a bit more, as it was ,it was pretty incoherent what was happening, but we get that it's a trap set by Voldemort.

The destruction of the Lovegood's House, like the fire in the Burrow in HBP was pretty pointless seeing as the Burrow was perfectly alright in this movie. Maybe they hoped to destroy the house and crush Harry and his friends in the ruin, pretty sloppy when you can apparate I think.

No he didn't but the line from who was supposed to be Auntie Muriel 'Are you sure you knew him at all?' was brilliant, it collapsed his doubts into one sentence. Maybe he'll read it after all he only just got the book from GH, and the Horcrux and Ron probably distracted him.

Kreacher and the Dursleys were never really given much development in the previous movies so it'd be a bit odd if suddenly attention was paid to them. Maybe they were doing the escape plan but without Diggle and Hestia, which worked. SPEW never had time to appear and there was no Winky drama so really Kreacher was always going to be diminished.

message 8: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Oooh you know that scene from GOF, where we see the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang carriage and ship arrive, I thought it odd that they allowed them to arrive first and then Dumbledore explains. In my opinion Dumbledore should have explained first and then the intro.

message 9: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (sierrac) | 5 comments They never showed the Quidditich field on bird-eye view in any in of the movies.

message 10: by Chelly (last edited Dec 08, 2010 05:16PM) (new)

Chelly (teamderek13) | 39 comments HP7: I didn't like th lack of Kreacher development-- did Harry even give him the locket?...and it was weird how Harry just randomly had the mirror fragment when there was no previous mention of the mirror...also really no development of Bill/Fleur or Lupin/Tonks-- they're both just out of nowhere
.....buuuut overall good- it felt more like the book than previous movies

HP6: it was more romance and comic relief, and while nice, i feel like im still waiting for the REAL movie (if that makes sense) because i think they really lost track of the darkness of HBP- voldemort is looming over them (they didn't mention his mom or the gaunts)and theres a seriousness in the book that the movie leaves out. i felt like it lost track of what was really going on, although i do like Dumbledore's post-death scene where they all lift their wands, but i missed the hospital wing scene with evryone and the battle between the DA and Death eaters which NEVER HAPPENS

HP5: it was too long of a book with too much going on to really get it right- my biggest complain was that the MoM stuff is cut short (no big chase) and the Harry/Dumbledore fight is totally non-existant...Harry's all said and depressed--and that is SO NOT how it's supposed to be. Harry yelling at Dumbledore and Dumbledore's uber long revelation is my favorite part of the book.

Post HP2- THERE'S NO FREAKING DOBBY!! not cool--although his death in HP7 was well done. almost like "sorry we pretended you didn't exist for 4 books, we'll give you a nice funeral"...but i wish that Harry would have written 'here lies dobby. a free elf' because i feel like that just sums up who dobby was- unrestrained
...anyway...that's what i think
HP 1-3 had less of a plot so i liked them, and HP4, while a lot of stuff was left out due to just the sheer size of the thing, i felt like the plot was well captured

message 11: by Bri (new)

Bri Nikos-The snow is staying this time =) wrote: "They missed a ton in the seventh. Luna's room, Ted Tonks, Seamus, and Griphook by the tent, The Dursley's Goodbye, The Tonks' house before The Burrow, Krum at the Wedding, and lots more. But still ..."

Definitely the best! I thought it was amazing! But my favorite is still Th Sorcerors Stone

message 12: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Chelsea, I think a lot of it was just based on the fact that the people who would come to see the movies are die-hard Potter fans and hence the filmakers probably didn' think it was necessary to fill in all the detail they assumed the audience already knew.

That or they found a way to show the details that the books have to expand upon. I must admit that the movies worked after a fashion but they were always going to be thin on details contained in the books.

message 13: by Kari (new)

Kari Spencer (emo-punk-scene-goth) | 199 comments Seriously, I think that there were way to many changes in just about every movie, that I don't think we could change them all.

message 14: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) I would have been insteresting if the movies could all have been done by the same director,maybe picked by Jo, that way it would have been more coherent and clues could have been littered inconspicuously like they are in the books.

message 15: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 3 comments at the moment im re reading the book and they missed out on alot but the film was the best of the last two

message 16: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (sierrac) | 5 comments Woolfie wrote: "I would have been insteresting if the movies could all have been done by the same director,maybe picked by Jo, that way it would have been more coherent and clues could have been littered inconspic..."
I totally Agree, the different directers changed the landscape of the grounds at Hogwarts.

message 17: by Pandy (last edited Dec 28, 2010 03:42PM) (new)

Pandy | 637 comments I do agree that one director for the whole series would have given the films a sense of continuity, but on the other hand I'm glad that the directors were switched after CoS and GoF. I much prefer the Cuaron and Yates films to the ones done by Columbus and Newell (not that I don't love all of the movies. :D) I think it would have been hard to include the little clues, even if the films all had the same director, since all the books weren't out when the first five films and part of the sixth were made. The filmmakers and most of the actors didn't know everything JKR had planned, though Alan Rickman has always known about Snape's love for Lily.

message 18: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 14 comments I was re-listening to a wizard rock podcast (WZRD for the win!) and they talked about how Hagrid (name escapes me) and Alan Rickman knew something we didn't before Deathly Hallows was released for sake of their characters or something like that.

message 19: by Pandy (new)

Pandy | 637 comments Robbie Coltrane (who plays Hagrid) knew something too? I didn't know that. Do you remember what it was about?

message 20: by Georgie (new)

Georgie | 44 comments Woolfie wrote: "Chelsea, I think a lot of it was just based on the fact that the people who would come to see the movies are die-hard Potter fans and hence the filmakers probably didn' think it was necessary to fi..."

That's not true, I know a lot of people who've never read the books but watch the movies. One of them was complaining about how unexplained events have been in the last few films and how its hard to follow what's going on without knowledge of the books.