Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Another reason to hate REM

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
http://www.avclub.com/articles/part-5...

Kurt Cobain was listening to Automatic for the People when he shot himself. It brings out my suicidal tendencies too.

Where were you when you found out about his death? Did it matter to you then? What I'm really wondering is, how old were you in 1994 and where were you?

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments You would have been?   So how old were you really?

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh dear. This was absolutely no news to me at all. I'm amazed that this is the modern Where Were You When Kennedy Was Shot.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24363 comments Mod
I was much more focused on Tonya Harding.

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments I believe I was watching Courtney Love perform her stripper act over at Jumbo’s Clown Room. I thought to myself, “Yes, she’s crazy enough to drive a man to suicide, and probably spoiled many a heroin high.”

I would have been 96, if my mother had given birth to me in 1898.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Despite myself, I kind of adore Ken.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Sally wrote: "Despite myself, I kind of adore Ken."

Endearing words I never tire of hearing.

message 8: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Well, I turned 3 in July of 1994, but Kurt Cobain died in april, so I was 2.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Kurt who?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Cobain died on my birthday. I like Automatic For the People anyway.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Lol myles.lol.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I was 28, and I like R.E.M., although I haven't heard their new stuff. Yes, I like "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" and "Shiny Happy People."

message 13: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Mediocre? pfft

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think you are making fun of me, KD. :)

I like Nirvana, too, by the way, although I hadn't figured that out back in '94. I was discovering Stevie Ray Vaughan at the time, because I was living in Austin, and it seemed like the thing to do.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

I like it when KD pipes up.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Wish the sound quality was better on the recording. So that was here in Olympia somewhere?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "I'm piping up!! :)

Jackie, would I make fun of you?!!..."

Yes. Yes, you would, although not as much as RA does. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I don't care, I love Steely Dan, and the Beatles, and I like R.E.M.

I like U2, too, so there! And yes, I went to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra. Twice!

And I love novelty tunes, although I am SICK of "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer."

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments The Eagles are going to die on MY birthday. I know that because I've arranged the hit.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Geez, you guys don't like ANYBODY.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments And I'm the one that gets made fun of. How is this right???

I'm actually laughing my head off right now... :D

message 22: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Come on, how could anyone have been shocked? I loved Nevermind, but even as a casual fan of Nirvana I could see that KC was going to off himself. He was just SO miserable ALL the time. And marrying CL was just going to push him over the edge.

I never understood the appeal of REM.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Geez, you guys don't like ANYBODY."

I'm listening to The Cure right now. Someone will be hating on that, I'm sure.

message 24: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) I was 16 in 1994. I was shocked by Cobain's death, but not terribly sad. Nirvana is okay. I'm a bigger fan of Courtney Love and Hole.

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments It was sad when KC died, but I was not a big fan. I was past teenage angst by then. It gets old quick. Which is one reason R.E.M. had much more appeal - the feelings and music surpassed just one mood.

I'm thinking it must be the time when it's in fashion to dislike R.E.M. It happens, and in another 10 years y'all love 'em!

message 26: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments I was 36 at the time of his death and could've given a rat's ass what that coward - or his skank-'ho wife - did. If he wanted to punch his own ticket, by all means have at it. All great things begin with a dream.

Next to the Beatles and Dylan, Nirvana was the biggest ado about nothing in music-biz history.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i love the clark voice of realism in a thread.

kevin: yeah, i think mr. rogers was a wonderful person.

clark: what? that punk b****? sure if you like wussy-commy-pinko losers who don't have a real job and spend their days in a goofy sweater and gilligan shoes talking to puppets all day.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I just wish Clark would stop being so wishy-washy and get some real opinions.

message 29: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Last spring I saw a great show at the Seattle Art Museum about Cobain's legacy. I think Nirvana was all about being in the right place at the right time with the right song. When you look back at their output, really, it's not groundbreaking or even all that great. I mean, really, I doubt many people go back and listen to Nirvana much anymore (didn't Jackie I fight about this a couple years ago?). While I don't hate them, I don't think I'll be making a pilgrimage to the graveyard, either.

message 30: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i was 6 and still in my abba and simon & garfunkel period.

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

I don't know if you and Jackie fought , per se, but there was a poll created.

message 32: by Books Ring Mah Bell (last edited Dec 01, 2010 06:07AM) (new)

Books Ring Mah Bell I like REM! (some)

I was 16. A junior?? I swear he died in 1995!

I was dating a boy that LOVED LOVED LOVED Cobain. He had a tat of the letter K (for Kurt!) on his arm that he gave himself.

I know. dumb dumb dumb.

But he played hockey and I was smitten.

Anyway, when discussing Cobain's death, I made some snide remark about the lyric "I don't have a gun" and I said, "He really did have a gun! In his mouth!"
:/
and that was the end of my relationship with hockey boy.

I was not shocked about his death. I figured Courtney Love would make me suicidal as well.

the end.

message 33: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't hate r.e.m. by the way.

message 34: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) By the way, reverting back to Sally's opening comment, REM was one of Cobain's favorite bands. He was in talks with Michael Stipe to do some kind of collaboration, like a joint Nirvana/REM tour. That might have made for some interesting music.

I like REM (I used to be fanatical about them), but KD's comment about them being the hipster Steely Dan is pretty apt.

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't care enough about REM to have a strong opinion one way or the other. I can recall enjoying some of the music at times.

message 36: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I lived in the Seattle area from early 1990 until mid-2005. I did not like Nirvana or KC one damn bit. Overplayed, overhyped.

REM? Meh.

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori Funny, I was sick of REM in the early 90s, overplayed, but this past year I've gotten into them.

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

I can buy the Mudhoney preference.

And REM = hipster Steeley Dan for shizzle.

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i still really like the teen spirit song and video. just has high energy and one of those great songs everyone sings along to but no one knows the words (like september by EW&F)

message 40: by Kevin (last edited Dec 01, 2010 09:50AM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup. he is funny sometimes. he had some stinkers too but his teen spirit parody was spot on. if you are a weird al fan you should get the movie UHF (it features a very funny michael richards before he and mel gibson joined the ranting racists club)

message 41: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "Mudhoney was better. Is better.

In fact, I can name about a dozen northwest bands off the top of my head that deserved the fame and fortune Nirvana got but never made it out of the local club sce..."

How ‘bout them Cherry Poppin’ Daddies?

message 42: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments KD - oh man, when he gives the kids a drink from the fire hose.....

as for the nirvana teen spirit video - i just watched again and really like it. i like when kids are into music and want to jump around. it has some good elements:

smoke: check
drums: check
guitars: check
slam dancing: check
cheerleaders: check
old dude acting odd: check
weird saw movie looking set: check

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love Weird Al. That is all. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "We agree on something!!!"

This doesn't mean I suddenly like Slayer or anything...

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "We agree on something!!!"

STOP IT NOW - I'm not ready for the world to end.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like MST3K too. And Peanuts. And old horror movies. I've seen Carnival of Souls, for example.

But I'm never going to like GWAR, so I don't think you need to worry about the world coming to an end. :)

message 48: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments ::Feeling much relieved!::

message 49: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jQzza...

(for those who don't know...)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "Why wouldn't you like GWAR?!!! "

Um, well, because I'm of the Steely Dan/REM sensibility, hee!

Oh, God, must not laugh too loudly...

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.