Sweeping Sagas discussion

Authors > Emma Drummond/Elizabeth Darrell

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
Here we go. Our first author thread at this group. Have at it.

So far I've read Beyond All Frontiers, Forget the Glory, Scarlet Shadows, The Gathering Wolves and The Jade Alliance. The latter two were a bit off the mark, but still compelling reads for the most part. You can find copies in US libraries, and I assume UK and OZ (Jill can confirm that).

message 2: by Jill (last edited Nov 30, 2010 06:03PM) (new)

Jill Yes, Misfit my library surprisingly had FtG and BAF.
Now I'm starting on the Max Rydal series by Elizabeth Darrell aka Emma Drummond. This is modern though, so not sure if you guys go for the modern soldier as much as the historical ones.

ETA: My cover is the same as GR has up and there is already a blurb up for Russian Roulette. Which is a good thing since this edition of mine has none.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Thanks Jill. If you ever come across a book without blurb/jacket let me or another librarian know so we can get them up. *Plain* books drive me nuts :/

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill I'm not sure how much you guys pay for second-hand books but I've bought a few of Emma Drummond/Elizabeth Darrell from Better World Books for around US$4, and there are no shipping costs for you in the States.

From where I am here in Australia $4 is good. But I've also got to pay $4 shipping. So that's $8/second-hand book. To me that's a lot but worth it for a good book that I can't get here.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Jill, I haven't priced too much, but most I've seen are going for $.01 (one penny) plus the obligatory $3.99 S&H fee. It looks like I'll be able to satisfy my craving via library for now and then figure out where to go next.

**stops and kisses the ground the library is built upon**

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit wrote: "Jill, I haven't priced too much, but most I've seen are going for $.01 (one penny) plus the obligatory $3.99 S&H fee. It looks like I'll be able to satisfy my craving via library for now and then f..."

Misfit is it true that Bill Gates funds your library?
If so, can I pass on the name and address of my local (pathetic) library.

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill When I come over for my holiday, I am going to check out if it's worth buying up big on second-hand books and sending a CRATEFUL back home with me.

message 8: by Misfit (last edited Nov 30, 2010 07:18PM) (new)

Jill, not sure if BG funds our library or not. He funds so many local things it is hard to keep track. Just a running joke, mainly that all the Microsoft moeny keeps our economy in better shape, even in today's conditions.

PS, trivia outside of the businesses listed below what other Seattle born business is there none of us could do without?

UPS (I think that's one)
Boeing
Starbucks
Microsoft
Jimi Hendix
Steve Miller Band
Heart
Nirvana

OK, OK they aren't all businesses but still..

Now can you name the biggie we'd all die without?

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Are those you listed really all Seattle-born? Wow.

Okay, I'm guessing that water and air didn't originate in Seattle. Goodreads?

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Jill wrote: "Are those you listed really all Seattle-born? Wow.

Okay, I'm guessing that water and air didn't originate in Seattle. Goodreads?"

Ooops, forgot Costco and Nordstrom (a shoe store, oh so long ago at 4th & Pike), so add two more to the list. My bad.

No no no. This is a really biggie. What bookish place (outside of goodreads) could we never ever ever ever do without?

Hint, Jeff Bezos.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Amazon!!

message 12: by Misfit (last edited Nov 30, 2010 07:34PM) (new)

Jill wrote: "Amazon!!"

B.I.N.G.O.

Yes indeed, what would we do without them?

Where else can an Amazon kerfuffle or major meltdown make the daily headline news?

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill Actually I don't use Amazon for anything.
Their prices for books can't compete with The Book Depository and Better World Books for me here in Oz.
Plus, since coming here to Goodreads I don't join in discussions (usually arguments it seems) at Amazon forums anymore.

Ahhh, what Amazon kerfuffle/major meltdown?
Did I miss something?
I didn't watch the news last night.
Mind you, if it didn't affect globally we wouldn't have heard about it down here.

message 14: by Misfit (new)

Jill wrote: "Actually I don't use Amazon for anything.
Their prices for books can't compete with The Book Depository and Better World Books for me here in Oz.
Plus, since coming here to Goodreads I don't join i..."

No recent kerfuffle or meltdown, just a basic anytime anything Amazon newsworthy happens it makes the local news.

BTW, aren't you glad you de-lurked at Amazon and I was able to send you here?

I use Amazon these days for entertainment value, especially watching Harriet's reviews :)

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit I am so glad I met you at Amazon (they did prove useful to me afterall) and you re-directed me here. I use to read your reviews over there and honestly I would say a good 90% of my historical fiction reads came (and still do come)directly from your reviews and recommendations. I remember quite timidly posting a comment over there thanking you for your reviews.

I also use Amazon for entertainment. You watch Klausner. And I read the discussions in the forums, particularly the romance forum. Just the last few days I've been transfixed by the arguments flying back and forth in that place. Why pay for your entertainment when you can read it free??

message 16: by Misfit (new)

Jill, thanks for the kind words they are appreciated. I love it when those comments come out of the blue. Ammy says I have 60 some fans and I have no idea who they are or I'd invite them all here.

Amazon is highly entertaining and as for the romance boards? Major time suck. I'll stay away and finally nod off for some sleep. Been a long day :)

message 17: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments My library only has one Emma Drummond book - The Savage Sky. I have it out at the moment. Almost afraid to return it in case they do the same thing to me with that book as they did with Anna by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles.

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill Marg wrote: "My library only has one Emma Drummond book - The Savage Sky. I have it out at the moment. Almost afraid to return it in case they do the same thing to me with that book as they did with Anna by Cyn..."

What did they do?

message 19: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Oh, I had renewed it three times already and I was just under half way through, so I had this big plan where I would return it in the morning, rerequest it straight away and so it should be ready to pick up again in the afternoon. However when I returned it they put it into mending, and then took it out of circulation completely, so now I have had to put in an ILL request and I have no idea how long that is going to take!

message 20: by Jill (last edited Dec 01, 2010 07:20PM) (new)

Jill Crap. Do you have to pay for ILL in Victoria?

message 21: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Not usually although they do ask you how much you are prepared to pay. I generally ignore that question though.

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill Marg wrote: "Not usually although they do ask you how much you are prepared to pay. I generally ignore that question though."

We have to pay $13 plus read the book at the library.
Consequently I've only ever taken out one ILL.

message 23: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments *gasp*

I can see why you haven't done any more. Seems kind of pointless to be only allowed to read it in the library.

message 24: by Misfit (new)

Jill wrote: "Marg wrote: "Not usually although they do ask you how much you are prepared to pay. I generally ignore that question though."

We have to pay $13 plus read the book at the library.
Consequently I'v..."

You are telling me they make you pay for ILL's? I've only had to be a lending fee once and considering how are it was I did'nt grouse.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

They money would bother me less than having to read it at the library. Wow. That is just stunning. No wonder you don't do it....I wouldn't either!

message 26: by Misfit (new)

Michele wrote: "They money would bother me less than having to read it at the library. Wow. That is just stunning. No wonder you don't do it....I wouldn't either!"

Egads, I missed that part. I can see it for something very very rare, but come on already. Is it any riskier to loan it out to their own patrons?

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit wrote: "Michele wrote: "They money would bother me less than having to read it at the library. Wow. That is just stunning. No wonder you don't do it....I wouldn't either!"

Egads, I missed that part. ..."

I can't even remember the book title, but I know it waasn't rare or anything.
And Michele's right, the worst part was sitting there reading at the library.
Never again.
That's why unfortunately I have to buy so many books.

message 28: by Misfit (new)

That would not amuse me. The only inconvenience I suffer through ILL is having to wait in line to have a real person get your book(which can be loooooooooong if you have some youngin's in front checking out tons of DVD's).

That's it.