Babblers Who Read discussion

Reading more than one book at once?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Heather | 30 comments Mod
Yoink asked:

"What are others' thoughts about reading more than one book at once? I never did it until last year when I took a break halfway through Moby Dick and read some lighter material and then came back to it. I don't think it harmed the reading experience of the book, and I was able to go back to it with a fresh enthusiasm. Interested to hear others' views."

message 2: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Heather | 30 comments Mod
It depends on how you define reading more than one book at once, for me. I will often read a non-fiction book at the same time I'm reading a fiction novel. Of course, my non-fiction tends to be either school related, or parenting related. I tend not to read more than one fiction book at a time. I think mostly because I get too into my current book to want to deviate.

I was in a similar situation with my last book, it was really hard to get through. But I'm stubborn, and just kept plowing through it, rather than start a new one and go back to it. I've only rarely abandoned a novel completely. If I'm having trouble with a novel, I'll either plow on, or drop it, rather than read it with another book or take a break from it.

message 3: by LizSark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

LizSark | 10 comments I'm the same as Heather. I can read non-fiction and fiction at the same time but I would never read two fiction books together. I get too involved in the characters and plot to be able to do that! I tend to read so quickly that its not a problem anyway. I've only ever abandoned one novel in my life - that was The Grapes of Wrath when I was a teenager. Funnily though I came back to that book last year and realised then what a stonking great read it actually is! Maybe I was just too young to appreciate it back then?

message 4: by Scrabbler (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Scrabbler | 10 comments I typically read 2 books at the same time--one non-fiction and one fiction. But right now I am slowly reading (savoring, really) Harry Potter #7, and The Club Dumas. The latter is a historical fiction book, one of my favorite genres.

message 5: by Doren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Doren | 6 comments I usually read only one book at a time, and listen to an audio book in the car as well. These are usually light stuff, mysteries, etc. I don't include them as books I have read, since some people don't consider that reading.

message 6: by Robin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Robin (rreagler) | 5 comments Like Heather, Liz, and Scrabbler I'm often reading two books at a time, and they are usually from two different genres. One book is usually poetry, and the other, prose.

message 7: by Robin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Robin (rreagler) | 5 comments I've read Moby Dick many times. There's a point in the middle where he goes on and on and on about the parts of the whale. That section is a true Sargasso Sea for me. I wonder if that's where you stopped too? Don't tell anyone, but sometimes when I'm rereading the book, I skip that part. Robin/Ping

message 8: by Stidmama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Stidmama | 5 comments I read several books at once usually -- but go rather slowly through them. I have a book on the state of U.S. education that I am working through, Tom reads a little bit aloud from a funny book most evenings (I love hearing him read), I listen to audiobooks when I do artwork (none this summer though -- neither art nor books!), and I am generally in the middle of research of one kind or another. When I have time, I will spend a couple hours and read a science-fiction or fantasy book straight through. I can't do those in bits and pieces.

message 9: by Yoink (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Yoink | 7 comments Robin, it was definitely one of the more descriptive parts like that where I decided to take a break. One of the sections which were like reading a non-fiction book about whaling rather than a novel.

message 10: by Mymuseisme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Mymuseisme | 2 comments When I am in the "feast" stage of reading, I often wind up reading several books at once because one is for pure pleasure, another I'm reading along with my son or nieces, and a third that is school related or to meet my own reading goals. I usually finish some faster than others and can sometimes put off books I've started til much later when I'm in the mood to finish them. I probably got into this habit with college/grad school.