FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Thread Graveyard > Eating Out

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) Okay, I'm 'entertaining' this weekend and we're gonna be eating out and I'm not a big fan of the restaurant 'salad' so can you help me out here? Anyone have suggestions?

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Jul 25, 2008 09:38AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Hee. She said "eating out."

Ask for grilled meats, steamed veggies, etc. Most restaurants now have "healthier" options but beware of those because they still aren't always that great. Ask if your food can be cooked without butter or oil. Stay away from the bread and chips and salsa. Drink plenty of water. Watch the portion size as restaurant portions are usually twice as much as you should eat. Sometimes it's helpful to ask them to bring you a box right at the beginning of the meal, and box up half of your plate right away so you won't be tempted to overeat.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) Wow... you've got this stuff down

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) If only I could actually put my knowledge into practice!

Weight Watchers is great for learning all those tips and tricks. Avoiding the temptation to dig into the bread an butter, cheeseburger with fries, and cheese enchilada is a different matter.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Oh my god...I can't believe Kim titled this thread "eating out." Thank god Sarah cited it first because I would have felt hopelessly immature otherwise.

That is all. I have little to say on the topic.

:)

message 6: by Meghan (last edited Jul 26, 2008 01:51PM) (new)

Meghan Something that worked for me, cut your meal in half and ask for the to-go box immediately. If it's not in front of your face, you won't be tempted to eat it.

[edit: Just read that Sarah mentioned it already. But I guess it's worth mentioning twice as it really did help me learn to control my portion size, which was/is a big issue for me.]

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) So, I didn't do as well as I wanted to. We went ethnic and I tried... I mean, I didn't bug out and eat the freakin' tablecloths or anything, but I didn't go for the salad. :(

I'll do better. But the Indian food was sooooo yummy.

Sorry, that's my confession.

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Well, Indian food tends to run on the more nutritious side so maybe you didn't do so bad. I mean it's not like you ate fried chicken and donuts and ice cream and cheese fries...oy, now I'm hungry.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I know! I thought 'SPICY!' well, I thought 'YUM!' and justified it with 'SPICY!'

And my work (hospital) was nice enough to host a sundae bar today. stupid people.

I was very good and just walked by with my nose in the air (to block the smell of the warm fudge, of course)

message 10: by Holli (new)

Holli Sure you did Kim.......... ;) Hats off to you if you really did.....Shit I wouldn't have been able to!!!

message 11: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) WTG KIM!!!

I skipped the good bye cake we had today... was easier than I thought... I don't like whip cream icing anyway!!!

message 12: by Holli (new)

Holli Me either Trudy....totally ruins a perfectly good cake. I firmly believe that....give me good buttercream frosting any day!! Well not anymore....well...you know what I mean! lol

message 13: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I know what you mean...

*is currently wondering how many points a tablespoon of betty crocker chocolate icing is*

oh boy, its going to be a long day!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ew. I hate frosting. I like my cake naked, thankyouverymuch. Actually, I don't even like cake that much, but if I eat some, I don't want no stinking frosting.

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Goddamn McDonalds has egg McMuffins for two for three dollars! I wish I had never driven past that billboard...

message 16: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) I am more of an ice cream girl myself

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) Wow, Anthony is such a parent! McDonalds under the 'eating out' thread... heh... I feel you, buddy..

message 18: by Holli (new)

Holli oh dear god Anthony....don't tell me that....I LOVE McD's egg McMuffins.......oh lord this won't be good now ;)

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Heh...dang...I didn't know the McDonalds mention would accidentally lead others into temptation...I apologize!

Kim, my kids are JUST now getting old enough to go to restaurants. I swear, I don't understand those people who take their two, four, and six year olds to restaurants...I'd rather just stay home....so much more relaxing....

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) all of our delivery people know us by the sound of our voice.. sad, isn't it.

message 21: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I say pile high the frosting. Frosting = butter and sugar. Two of my favorite food groups.

message 22: by Meghan (new)

Meghan And thus, why I have a weight problem.

message 23: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) CRAP - my boss just bought us lunch today... Chinese... I totally gave in and had some... I probably blew the day's points, but I rarely dip into my weekly stash so hopefully it will balance out... I am eating veggies for dinner and drinking LOTSA water for the next 2 days... sigh

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
You'll do great! I'm sure of it. Your healthy eating is a HABIT now. Yum. Veggies for dinner is one of my favorite dinners! :) Trudy! Trudy! Trudy! (could you tell I was chanting for ya?)

message 25: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Thanks for the cheers Amanda!

I didn't do as good for dinner as I would have liked (my mom didn't make the yummy squash I thought she was going to make), but I DID walk and drank almost another full 1L bottle of water. and when I jumped on the scale this morning for a sanity check I was still in the right range. I know a one time splurge won't kill me, but I was just disappointed in myself for being "bad" - even though I probably wasn't as bad as I thought I was... Today is a new day and I already said NO to going out for lunch... lol

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I saw this on msn.com today...it's an article on healthy chain restaurants...check it out.

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/artic...

message 27: by Amanda (new)

That's a great article. A lot of those restaurants have online menus, too, so you can pick what you want before you even leave the house! Cool! Thanks Anthony. :)

Was anyone else amazed that Bob Evans and Dennys made the list???

message 28: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I agree Amanda... but only because I think of both as breakfast places where the Grand Slam etc. is King. I forget they have a whole OTHER menu - lol.

If you can control yourself ordering breakfast at either place - they really aren't that bad. That was the true test when my mom was here... we ate breakfast out 3 times (twice at Denny's) and I was able to scale WAY back on what I would normally order.

Both of those restaurants are in the WW dining out guide as well.

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Oh yeah, man. Breakfast is killer. I swear, I could eat a whole pound of bacon by myself. Switching to vegetarianism/piscitarianism has been quite helpful in that respect (though a detriment in others...) My dear sweet dad made my mom call me on my birthday to ask if I wanted him to make bacon when I came to visit the following weekend. He loves bacon as much as I do and could probably eat two whole pounds by himself, so it was always fun for him to bust out the griddle on a Sunday morning when I came to visit. Anyway, the phone conversation went like this:

Mom: Daddy wants to know if you want to eat bacon on Sunday.
Me: No thanks, Mom.
Mom: (to dad) She said no thanks...
Dad: (in background, Charlie Brown style muffled voice) whah whah whah whah
Mom: (to me) He said, "Are you sure?" Because if you want it he has a whole bunch in the freezer and he can take it out on Saturday night.
Me: No, really, it's ok. Tell him thanks anyway, alright? Besides, I'm not really eating meat, since like, January, remember?
Mom: Yeah. He knows.

We ended up eating egg sandwiches instead--much healthier than bacon! :)

This posting sponsored by:
Ramble Away Booksters, where people just ramble until their oxygen is depleted...

message 30: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) LMAO