Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Nightshade (Nightshade, #1; Nightshade World, #4)
This topic is about Nightshade
Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Cremer, Andrea - Nightshade - December 2010 BOM

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 02, 2010 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of Nightshade by Andrea Cremer. Be prepared for SPOILERS.
Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer

Calla is an alpha currently in the Nightshade pack. She and Ren (an alpha currently in the Bane pack) will marry on Samhain and reign as co-leaders over a new pack called the Haldis pack. She and her pack are Guardians, protectors of the Keepers and guardians of the sacred sites. She’s never questioned how things work or why they are the way they are. She’s known how things would be her whole life and had accepted her fate. When Shay Doran comes into her life, however, he makes her question the way things are and puts doubts into her mind. When she decided to go against the Keeper’s laws to save Shay’s life she never expected to see him again or suspected that he would could change her fate.

Sashana Is anyone planning to read this one?

message 3: by Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (last edited Dec 01, 2010 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments I really want to but my funds are low at the moment. Maybe I will get it for Christmas or someone will give me money to go buy it.

Sashana Lacy ~Movements of a Demigod~ wrote: "I really want to but my funds are low at the moment, but maybe I will get it for Christmas."

Did you check your library? And I've been meaning to ask what '~Movements of a Demigod~' means. Care to explain?

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments I looked at the library first since I really wanted it but no luck. Movements of a demigod is a reference to one of my fave songs by Monty Are I and was the screen name I used in Yahoo Answers before I found goodreads.

Sashana Cool, mine is also a reference to a song.

message 7: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 01, 2010 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I read it last night and still need to post.

Sashana You read it in one night, Lisarenee?!

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I started around 9PM last night and stayed up till 3:30AM finishing it. I couldn't put it down. lol Did I mention I'm a book addict?

Sashana Still, it must have been really good. What did you rate it?

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I haven't yet. Been running around a lot today. I'm thinking I'll rate it between a 4 and 5. I haven't decided which yet, but there is some good discussion material in it.

message 12: by Tai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tai (msglam) | 101 comments I read it right before Thanksgiving and I also loved it. And I also found a prequel Shadow Days A Nightshade Novella (Nightshade Prequel) by Andrea Cremer (its free)that was kind of interesting.

message 13: by Tai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tai (msglam) | 101 comments Lacy ~Movements of a Demigod~ wrote: "I really want to but my funds are low at the moment. Maybe I will get it for Christmas or someone will give me money to go buy it."

This book is lendable so if you have a Nook or a Nook App I would be happy to lend it to you. =)

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments Tai wrote: "Lacy ~Movements of a Demigod~ wrote: "I really want to but my funds are low at the moment. Maybe I will get it for Christmas or someone will give me money to go buy it."

This book is lendable ..."

Thanks for the offer Tai I would love that. I don't have the Nook, but I can probably download the Nook App. I will have to see if I can use my mother's laptop though since mine is currently being worked on. I will let you know asap.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Tai, Is is just a story you can lend once or multiple times?

message 16: by Tai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tai (msglam) | 101 comments Only once unfortunately.

message 17: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 02, 2010 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I just found the PDF for Shadow Days, prequel to Nightshade, on Amazon. Go to Amazon and enter the book's information (for Nightshade that is). There will be a box below the purchase information, but above the book video that says:

More to Explore
Read an exclusive bonus prequel from Andrea Cremer's exciting new novel, Nightshade [PDF].

That's were you click to get the words bonus prequel and you'll get the story in PDF form. It's 85 pages long.

Link to amazon for book:
http://www.amazon.com/Nightshade-Andr...

message 18: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Thanks Lisarenee! I downloaded it and saved to my computer for later.

I just found out I won this book from a giveaway so I'll make sure to make it a priority when I receive the package to read along with everyone here!

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Lucky you. It's an awesome book to win. :)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I should probably mention I found the free prequel by asking Andrea Cremer where I could locate it. She replied very quickly. :)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Okay, I hope nobody minds but I needed to look up some things for this book and thought I'd share:

Haldis - I looked up the name Haldis and this is what I found:
It is a girl’s name meaning weapon of the goddess pronounced HAHLdis and has norse origins
"Compound name, from the elements 'hal', 'stone' or 'weapon' [it could mean 'tool' in this context as well] and 'dis', which refers to a woman or a female divine being."
(above information gotten off of Nickelodeon Parent’s connect) link:
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect....

Also found the following for Haldis on baby names.com:
"The meaning of the name Haldis is Stone Spirit
The origin of the name Haldis is Scandinavian"
Link: http://www.babynames.com/name/HALDIS

The War of all against all referred to on pages 187& 367. According to the book it also refers to the Witches’ War and The story of the Old Ones.

When I looked up Hobbes I found the following:

Thomas Hobbes author of Leviathan - According to Wikipedia, “In the book, which was written during the English Civil War, Thomas Hobbes argues for a social contract and rule by an absolute sovereign. Hobbes wrote that chaos or civil war — situations identified with a state of nature and the famous motto Bellum omnium contra omnes ("the war of all against all") — could only be averted by strong central government.”
Link to more from wikipedia on the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviatha...

Harrowing means Pillaging and plundering

Harbinger -a person who goes ahead and makes known the approach of another; herald
From dictionary.com

Hegemony Antonio Gramsci - “A system of rules whereby the oppresses are convinced to support the system of oppression, to invest in it, believe in it“. P368

From wikipedia “Cultural hegemony is the philosophic and sociological concept, originated by the Marxist philosopher Antonio Gramsci, that a culturally-diverse society can be ruled or dominated by one of its social classes. It is the dominance of one social group over another, e.g. the ruling class over all other classes. The theory claims that the ideas of the ruling class come to be seen as the norm; they are seen as universal ideologies, perceived to benefit everyone whilst only really benefiting the ruling class.”
Link to more about Cultural hegemony on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural...

“Samhain is known by most folks as Halloween, but for Wiccans and Pagans it's considered a Sabbat to honor the ancestors who came before us. It's a good time to contact the spirit world with a seance, because it's the time when the veil between this world and the next is at its thinnest.” Information gotten from about.com :
http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/samha...

Scion means heir

message 22: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 02, 2010 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Here are quotes I selected because of the information they provided:

Prophecy from pages 394-395:
“Those who waited for the harvest child
must choose his fate
To begin again, search for the cross
To guard the power, make your gift (sacrifice)

Two worlds battle, the Scion lives between
When the veil thins, the gift (sacrifice) must be made
Lest one world fade while the other remains”

“With Ren as my partner, I could no longer claim final authority for my pack. Alpha males had more clout than females. Ren ruled the pack. It was my job to support him and keep the others in line.”Page 195

“Two alphas mate and rule over their pack. Each alpha has a beta, which is like or second in command. Bryn is mine. Dax is Ren’s. The rest of the pack falls in line accordingly and follows our orders. The bonds of affection with the pack make us fierce, the warriors we need to be. That’s how we move through the world and how we fulfill our duties to the Keepers”. Page 125

“The only reason that Ren and I, or any of the young wolves, were born was to form the new pack. It’s what the Keepers brought us into the world for. They made matches for our parents, just like they’ve paired us as they see fit. Our union is the legacy of the alliance between Keepers and Guardians.” page 125

“We serve as their (Keeper’s) soldiers, and protect their sacred sites.” page 243

“These four triangles represent the four elements: earth, air, fire, water.” page 211

“The cross is the anchor of life” page 204

There are a couple more I'm trying to find so I'll probably add to this.

message 23: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 03, 2010 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions I have for everyone:

1. Any idea of what the prophecy means?

2. Do you think the for triangles might mean Shay will become an elemental if and when the triangles appear on his neck or do you think they are just the symbols for the element the sacred objects might be associated with?

3. What do you think Shay actually is? Do you think he really was related to his "uncle"?

4. Did you notice the blood on the calla lilies on the cover? Lily was Ren’s nickname for Calla.

5. Did Calla do the right thing running off with Shay?

6. Do you have a favorite part, favorite scene, or favorite character?

7. Is there anything you didn't like?

8. Were you surprised by Ren's reaction toward the end?

9. Any ideas what will happen in the second book?

Stacy (stacybinnj) | 57 comments I ordered a copy of this book and plan to read it with you guys. I don't usually read YA books but this one had so many good reviews that I figured I'd give it a shot. It looks good!

message 25: by Tai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tai (msglam) | 101 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Questions I have for everyone:

2. Do you think the for triangles might mean Shay will become an elemental if and when the triangles appear on his neck or d..."

I haven’t figured out the prophecy yet but I think it has something to do with overthrowing the Keepers hold over the Guardians and what the Keepers are really hiding in their sacred holdings.

I think the triangles refer to the sacred items the Keepers keep hidden. I think that Shay has a connection to the sacred items like he is the only one to wield them or use their power sort of thing. I wonder if the sacred items are the source of the Keepers powers/influence?

I haven’t quite figured out what Shay is yet except that he is now a turned Guardian to some degree and I am curious to find out what that means since it seemed like the Searchers were concerned about it and thought the Keepers had ordered him turned. So I wonder if that will be an asset or an obstacle for the Searchers in their quest to destroy the Keepers. I do believe that the house is a family estate of Shay’s but I do not believe he is of any blood relation to Shay. I think that Shay’s parents were important and when they were killed his ‘uncle’ took over the house and stored all his tortured victims there hence the huge army of creatures at the end.

I read the first chapter of Wolfsbane the 2nd book of the series on Andrea Cremer’s website so that may be why I feel this way but I think it is a good thing. If there is a way save Shay, Calla and the rest of the Guardians this is probably the only way. It looked like previous Guardians were trying to work with the Searchers in the past so I think she did the right thing. I think we will find out more about the battle between the Searchers and the Keepers and the “True” origins of the Guardians.

My favorite character is Calla and that’s probably because we see most of her and the book is written from her perspective. But I do love me some Mason he cracks me up. However I am on the fence as to the love triangle as who I want Calla to end up with Shay or Ren but as of the end of the first book I would be happy with either. My favorite scenes are when we get to see the Haldis Pack (young Nightshade Pack and the young Bane pack) interacting together.

I can't say I was surprise by Ren's reaction as she gave little clues that Ren wasn't the total a**hole he pretend to be. Like when Calla noticed his insecurity or during the scene with his father (who is absoultely an a**hole)when it seemed like he acted that way to prevent his father from baring down on him.

Stacy (stacybinnj) | 57 comments I'm just at page 239 right now. It's good so far! I think the beginning was a little clunky.

I'm not all that enthralled with Shay. Right now I'm a little irritated at him. He seems to be exposing Calla to danger without a second though. She told him that it means death if she reads that book but he seems to brush it off and he pushes her to look at the pages. I think it's pretty selfish and self centered of him. He's driven by his curiosity and tells Shay that she should live by different ideals than what she has grown up believing. Granted I'm not sure I buy in to those ideals but he's quite flippant about it without understanding the gravity of the situation.

message 27: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 12, 2010 05:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I think Shay is clueless in the beginning. He wasn't raised knowing about the "other" world, which is pretty incredible/unbelievable considering who his uncle is. As he was kept separated from it, however, perhaps it's not so unbelievable as it first seems. Also, the conversation in the one class about philosophy is pretty significant to figuring out how Shay thinks. The guardian/keepers relationship does have a sort of cult feel to it as the book goes on.

message 28: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 12, 2010 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments
I think perhaps if the Scion(heir) lives it will mean the end of the keeper/guardian relationship.

2. Do you think the for triangles might mean Shay will become an elemental if and when the triangles appear on his neck or do you think they are just the symbols for the element the sacred objects might be associated with?
I agree with you Tai. I think the sacred objects control the element associated with it's mark, but I'm curious if when Shay master's the object or when he retrieves it if he'll get a symbol added to his cross tattoo or whatever the image is.

3. What do you think Shay actually is? Do you think he really was related to his "uncle"?
I keep wondering if Shay's uncle was really related to him. I wish we knew more about his family and I still need to read the short story. Remember how Shay wielded the axes against the spider? Calla said it was like he was a warrior. I think that is a clue as well as he being called the scion(heir). I have a feeling we're going to be blown away when we finally find out what Cremer is talking about.

4. Did you notice the blood on the calla lilies on the cover? Lily was Ren’s nickname for Calla.
I think the cover kind of tells us there will be bloodshed. It'll be interesting to see if each cover will have a clue. I must admit I like it when covers actually seem to fit the book.

I think she was right in saving him, but I think if she'd stayed she probably would have been killed.

Favorite character so far is Calla. Favorite part was when they started finding out about the cross.

Nothing I can think of so far although the relationships within the packs with their keepers is kind of creepy.

I was a little surprised by Ren's reaction at the end. I wasn't sure what his feelings toward Calla were. I think the keepers made a mistake by keeping the two separated. I think they should have had more contact to build a relationship, but the key to the keeper/guardian relationship seemed to be the Keepers keeping a tight reign on the Guardians.

I think we'll see another sacred object found, but other than that I can't think of where this all is going. I can't wait for the next book to come out to find out where this story is going.

Stacy (stacybinnj) | 57 comments I finished the book last night and I'm not really sure what to think. Logan is a creep. I think he was having Calla and pack take care of Shay just to be cruel. Shay seemed to finally understand at the end what kind of danger he was putting Calla into. Too little too late in my book. I'm left wondering what is going to happen to the rest of the pack. Calla has been ripped from her family and those that mean the most to her. Ren obviously truly loves her. I felt like he got the short end of the stick the whole book. Emile seemed to try to raise his son to be an ass but I think Ren is actually a good guy. I got that sense most of the book and I feel like he really lost out.

I think the Keepers are probably evil but I'm not sure yet what to think of the Searchers. Can they be trusted?

regarding the giant spider... I think Cremer could have been a little more original. Giant spiders have been overdone so it wasn't very scary. I'm surprised Calla didn't feel the effects of the spider bite a little more quickly. A Brown Recluse the size of a horse would probably cause instant death.

All that said, I'm looking forward to the next book. I don't think we've seen the last of Ren. I think in the next book Calla will side with the Searchers and we'll find out what the Haldis is and what it does.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments .1. Any idea of what the prophecy means?
I felt that the prophecy meant that if the scion wasn't sacrificed that the Keepers will lose there powers by becoming disconnected from the magical world.

I agree that the sacred objects have to be connected to the symbols and that Shay is going to be the one who can wield these objects.

I'm not sure exactly what Shay is yet, but I think he will definitely be the key to what is going on. I also don't think Shay is related to his "uncle". I think that somehow the death of his parents are very important and I wouldn't be suprised if they were killed just so Shay's uncle could gain power over him.

I thought the covers were beautiful, but I didn't really think about them holding clues until I read this question and it is an interesting theory.

I don't think that Calla really had a choice at that point in the story. I think that she felt it was either run or die, but I think it is sad that she had to leave her pack behind. I also think that after her talk with Ren she felt a little better about that though, because she knew that he wouldn't betray her and try to take care of the pack.

I really liked Ren. I felt that he was more complex than he seemed and he had a lot to deal with throughout the book. I think that he really cares about Calla and the whole pack, but he really has to play a part to keep his father and the Keepers happy and protect everyone.

So far there hasn't been anything that I didn't like.

I wasn't really that suprised, like I said before I think most of what we see from Ren is just a front that puts on for the Keepers since they expect him to be like his father.

I think that we are probably going to see the repercussions of Calla turning Shay into a Gaurdian and what that is going to mean for the war between the Keepers and the Searchers. I also think that they are going to find out more about the sacred objects and how Shay plays into the grand scheme of things.

message 31: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments The flowers on the covers are calla lilies. I used to grow them, so I know what they are. They are bog plants, or at least that's how I used to grow them.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Calla lilies are also deadly due to the fact they are poisonous. So I kind of like the nickname even if Calla didn't.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I'm still in the library queue, but I'm at #2 now. I probably won't get to review this book until January.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments That okay. We'll enjoy hearing what you think then.

message 35: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) I just finished this book and really loved it. It was the most fun I've had with a YA fantasy in quite some time. 4 stars from me!

I'm really impressed with the amount of thought everyone has put into their answers here. I'll have to come back once I have a chance to digest more of the story. As for my favourite characters - that was Calla and Ansel. Ren and Shay really had to grow on me. I didn't understand Shay's insistence that Calla keep doing all these things she could have been executed for but ended up liking him in the end anyways.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments 1. Any idea of what the prophecy means?
As far as the prophecy goes, I read the first stanza as a way to tell Calla and Shay that they could pick their fate- either search for the cross or make the sacrifice (Shay). The next stanza gives them a little information about what will happen depending on what they decide. I think it is interesting how it says that the Scion stands between. Does Shay have some power he does not know about that keeps the Searchers and Keepers from totally obliterating each other? (I have never been good at poetry/prophecy deciphering...I either dissect it too hard or not enough, let me know what yall think about my thoughts)

2. Do you think the four triangles might mean Shay will become an elemental if and when the triangles appear on his neck or do you think they are just the symbols for the element the sacred objects might be associated with?
I'm not sure they will appear at all. He already has Earth and nothing appeared on his neck. I would assume they would appear as he aquired them. Maybe Calla hasn't had enough alone time with him yet to find it. Lololol.

This book is full of lies and deception, so I would not be surprised if his "uncle" really isn't his uncle. I have no idea who Shay is. Maybe we will have a chance to know in the next installment!

4. Did you notice the blood on the calla lilies on the cover? Yes I did. I love calla lilies so I put all of those connections together real quick.

Definitely. Honestly, there was no other choice. I would have realized that all the lies and deception would have continued if I did not try to do something about it. Then again I am always the rebellious one!

My favorite scene is when Calla and Shay are running through the forest as wolves. Regardless of being newly Turned, Shay was doing really well. I would love to be able to turn into something else at will and have a whole new dynamic on my relationship and the world. When he was doing so well as a wolf so quickly, it made me wonder just how strong and powerful Shay could become. I am pretty sure being Turned wouldn't be such a cake walk like he made it out to be!

I didn't like how it took until around page 117 to tell me anything about the Keepers and even longer to tell me about the others. It might have kept me reading to find out, but I wanted to know up front. Calla's world doesn't tell them everything, or gives them a distorted version, and that is how I felt. I could definitely relate to Calla at this moment!

No, I wasn't. I knew that he would either not budge on his idea to go with Shay and Calla or he would do what she said.

Calla will lay low for awhile, learn what the Searchers want her to do, and then act on it.

Chelsey (hart94) | 12 comments i just finished this novel. when i first began to read it i was kind of confused.the author didn't explain anything like what were keepers, and guardians. but once i figure it out I got really into the novel. i really hope that she ends up with Ren but sadly i think it Shaw all the way for her:(

Sashana So I'm reading this and I'm about 100 pages in and I bit confused. Masters and Alphas? I would think that the alphas would be the masters because they are, well...alphas. I'm getting the gist of everyone's roll except for the Keepers. I know Searchers are hunters and I know that the Guardians are the wolves but not the masters. Me=Confused :/

Sashana Besides the confusion I like the story so far. Not sure if I like Calla and Ren's 'relationship'as of yet. They have major chemistry and no shortage of passion but I've yet to hear them have an actual conversation. I'm definitely looking forward to more of Shay.

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 466 comments Sashana wrote: "So I'm reading this and I'm about 100 pages in and I bit confused. Masters and Alphas? I would think that the alphas would be the masters because they are, well...alphas. I'm getting the gist of ev..."

The alpha's are the pack leaders. Calla and Ren are going to be the alphas of the new pack that they are creating from the Nightshade and Bane packs. The Keepers are the ones with the magic to control the pack. They are the ones who decides whether to create a new pack or expand the current ones. Basically the guardians answer to the keepers. The further you read into the book the more of that relationship you will see, but it is a bit confusing.

Sashana Who do you guys think Calla will end up with? Usually when love triangles are involved I can kind of tell who the person is going to pick but Calla is so self contradictory. One minute she’s all over Ren and then the next Shay. She says she loves Shay but when Ren asked her at the end of the book if she loved Shay she was like, “Don’t ask me that,” WTF!

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Since there is all the hype about Shay (an actual facebook page devoted to him with an actor playing him) I'd put my money on him, but at the end I really was starting to feel differently toward Ren and wish we got to know him better. I want to know why if Ren had strong feelings for Calla he was flaunting all his relationships in front of her? Is there more we don't know about?

Brandi (slayeresque) I actually read this book a second time, so I would actually have answers. I flew through it the first time while ill, in part because of that frustrating lack of information/backstory. I went through it so quickly I looked at these questions the first time and decided to read it again before it was due back to the library. This is going to be long-winded, as I usually am, and I apologize for that and for any other mistakes. :D

The prophecy reads:
“Those who waited for the harvest child
must choose his fate
To begin again, search for the cross
To guard the power, make your gift (sacrifice)

Two worlds battle, the Scion lives between
When the veil thins, the gift (sacrifice) must be made
Lest one world fade while the other remains”

I think this prophecy sounds like it means that the Keepers and Searches (the ones who are not forbidden to read the book and therefore know the prophecy) are supposed to decide what to do about Shay. To start over, with a clean slate, they should seek out the objects of power that go with the cross in the book, and if they want to keep things the way they are, they should kill him. The second part of the prophecy is a little hazier, as it could easier refer to the world of Keepers, and the world of the Searchers or it could mean the regular world and the netherworld. In any case, the sacrifice wasn’t made and so we’ll likely see which world fades over the course of the next few books. Perhaps when the one world fades the magic will leave altogether and all of the Keepers, Searchers and Guardians will end up normal humans, thereby freeing Calla to be with whoever she wants.

2. Do you think the for triangles might mean Shay will become an elemental if and when the triangles appear on his neck or do you think they are just the symbols for the element the sacred objects might be associated with? I find it more likely that the symbols simply refer to the objects that go with them, like Haldis is earth, but that Shay is the only one who can touch and use their powers, since he is the Scion. Maybe the symbols will show up on his neck as he masters each object, but if it were as simple as finding them that would be much more obvious and dangerous.

3. What do you think Shay actually is? Do you think he really was related to his "uncle"? I think Shay is both less and more than the Keepers and Searchers. I think he has the potential for more power than they have, and more control over that power, but since he’s grown up ignorant of that world he’s mostly full of untapped potential. In fact that’s probably why he grew up apart from all of this, so he wouldn’t become more than they could handle.

I actually do think that Shay is related to Bosque, but I think the relation is more like Bosque is either more distantly related, or more likely, much older and more powerful than he appears and an ancestor of some sort. Calla was surprised that he was able to summon more than one wraith, and it seems as though Rowan Estate is something that belongs to Bosque rather than a family manor. I think he has to be related somehow, otherwise why hang a giant painting of Shay’s parents in the library, especially since Shay doesn’t even know they are his parents when he first sees the painting.

Shay is obviously special though, if only because Calla says that the newly turned Guardians are supposed to take some time to get used to their other form, and Shay picks it up pretty quick. Perhaps as the Scion he gets some form of enhanced learning. He certainly has a lot of other odd skills.

I think at some point I did notice the blood on the calla lilies on the cover, but I also remember at one point thinking they were the kind of flower that had a different color in the center. So I don’t know for certain how much I paid attention to it.

5. Did Calla do the right thing running off with Shay? This is a hard question, Calla obviously couldn’t stay with Ren and the Haldis pack and kill him, but I didn’t want her to have to leave Ren and the others behind either. I think the ultimate answer is yes, but I don’t think that she really had another choice. Shay doesn’t really know enough about the other world he’s a big part of for Calla to have sent him off on his own, but I think I might like Ren better than Shay.

6. Do you have a favorite part, favorite scene, or favorite character?I think I adore Mason. He’s funny, and I just adore that. I think one of my favorite parts is Nev belting out Fiddler on the Roof in the middle of the lunch area, and also Shay interacting with the Haldis pack. I also really love Ansel and Calla’s interaction when she finds out about him and Bryn, and the scene of Calla, Ansel and Bryn that morning.

7. Is there anything you didn't like?Well, I hated Ren’s father, and both of the Banes (Logan and Efron) and something about the whole Keeper/Guardian thing as a whole bothers me. Other than that, Shay was kind of a crappy friend to Calla at the beginning, but some people are just like that. He grew up as the story progressed. His character hadn’t really had a lot of chance at real meaningful relationships, so I don’t know that I really expected him to possess those sorts of skills anyway.
And I agree that it took a long time to understand what way their world worked. This seems to be a sort of trend in paranormal YA books. One I am decidedly unfond of.

8. Were you surprised by Ren's reaction toward the end? Not really. Ren struck me as the type of guy who wanted to have fun while he could, but took his responsibilities very seriously. Ren is the sort of man who wanted to be better than his father, and wanted to have a good relationship with Calla. I think his period of dating half of Vail, was likely because of a sort of teenage rebellion than anything else. He obviously cared for Calla, and when it was time for him to stop being a boy, and be responsible he was actually really good at it, barring a few screwups but I blame his father’s upbringing for those.

9. Any ideas what will happen in the second book? Well I think we’ll see what will happen now that Shay wasn’t sacrificed. I hope Calla will try and remember how Ren feels about her, although since he’s slept his way through their high school, I won’t be angry with her if she explores her love for Shay. It seems like the Searchers have both Calla and Shay and it at least sounded like they expected Shay to do something besides stay ignorant of his destiny. I assume we will see at least one of the other objects like Haldis, as we still have Water, Air and Fire to find for Shay. I hope we’ll see more of the Haldis pack, and I hope, but I don’t guarantee, they won’t pair Ren off with someone else since Calla has gone missing. It doesn’t sound like they ever gave his father another Alpha female after they killed Ren’s mother.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Finally picked this up from the library. Will be starting it soon.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Carol, Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Brandi, I just bought the book. After reading it I wanted a copy to keep. It will be interesting to find out if Ren gets paired off with another mate. I have a feeling it will be Bryn. That will make Bryn and Calla'a brother very upset. I wonder if that is how the prophecy will play out. The pack will revolt against the keepers and the life they've lead will no longer be? There are so many directions this one can take that it'll be fun to see which direction Cremer takes it.

Brandi (slayeresque) Lisarenee wrote: "Carol, Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Brandi, I just bought the book. After reading it I wanted a copy to keep. It will be interesting to find out if Ren gets paired off with another mate. I ha..."

I don't know if they can pair Bryn off with Ren. It wasn't entirely clear how one becomes an Alpha or how that's determined at all. I mean the Ren and Calla are both the firstborn children of an Alpha pair. Maybe that has something to do with it since it doesn't seem like Calla's brother Ansel is an alpha. I don't know though.

I think that if they were to pair Ren again it would likely be with Bryn, as she is a second in command, and Sabine isn't (plus there's that whole thing with the older Bane and Sabine). Bryn is also a Nightshade, and so that might help more to hold the Haldis pack together in Calla's absence.

They might also dissolve the pack though, considering it was formed to protect Haldis and Calla and Shay have that artifact. Ren did say the Nightshades were all being held for questioning, but didn't mention the Haldis pack at all.

It'll be interesting to see where it will go from here. I hope I enjoy the next book as much as I enjoyed this one, and I hope we see more of Ren.

message 47: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 07, 2011 04:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Brandi said, "They might also dissolve the pack though, considering it was formed to protect Haldis and Calla and Shay have that artifact."

You're right. I had completely forgot they were supposed to protect the artifact. Maybe they will be dissolved. Something tells me though they won't let Ren go without a mate, but I could be wrong. He might be punished for not catching her. If they find out he caught her and let her go..... Could be bad for him. When does the next book come out? July is too far away. :(

I just looked and they have the names for Cremers third books in the series. It is:

2nd is Wolfsbane (this title has been known for a while but I thought it was worth mentioning)
3rd is Bloodrose

Also, looks like she'll have another series coming out next year.
The Inventor's Secret
Description on goodreads, "Sixteen-year-old Charlotte and her fellow refugees have scraped out an existence on the edge of Britain’s industrial empire. Though they live by the skin of their teeth they have their health (at least when they can find enough food and avoid the Imperial Labor Gatherers) and each other. When a new exile with no memory of his escape from the coastal cities or even his own name seeks shelter in their camp he brings new dangers with him and secrets about the terrible future that awaits all those who have struggled has to live free of the bonds of the empire’s Machineworks.

The Inventor’s Secret is the first book of a YA steampunk series set in an alternate nineteenth-century North America where the Revolutionary War never took place and the British Empire has expanded into a global juggernaut propelled by marvelous and horrible machinery."

Sounds interesting.

message 48: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited Jan 08, 2011 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Ok, 61 pages in and I'm still in the dark about the most basic of information about this story. I am NOT pleased nor am I impressed with this book thus far.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments What are you curious about Carol?

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Well, now it's 100 pages and I have no idea who these people are, what the heirachy is, why they do what they do or what this story is even about. I can't stand Ren and Calla is a wimp. I have a feeling that when Calla meets Shay in the woods on Sunday and 'explains things' to him I'll finally be able to get some back story and see what the hell is going on. But having to wait more than 100 pages for this info is ridiculous. I hate giving up on a book, but I'm periously close to doing just that on this one.

« previous 1