Book lovers discussion

Group Reads > January Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Hello everyone - my name is Sarah and I am now your new co-moderator!
Let's start the new year off right and choose a couple of great books that we can read and discuss together as a group. Nominate a book that you'd like to read in January and I will set up a poll on Dec. 10 so we can vote. The top two winners will be our first two group reads of 2011!

message 2: by Shelli (new)

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I have all 3 of those on my TBR!

I'd like to nominate Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I would like to nominate Handling the Undead. It's by the same other as Let the Right One In.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I'd like to nominate Room.

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) Diane D. wrote: "I'd like to nominate Room."

Oh, good idea! I'm hoping to get it for Christmas!

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) I second Jo!

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) I am gonna go with The Rice Mother because I tihnk everyone should read it!

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Donna wrote: "I am gonna go with The Rice Mother because I tihnk everyone should read it!"

Wonderful book, Donna.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Ooooh - lot's of great nominations! Keep em comin'.....

message 12: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Unbrokenwould be another good one...I think I'll ask for this for Christmas!

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Hurry and get in those nominations before I set up the poll on Friday! Can't wait to see what our first group read of the year will be :-)

message 14: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I'd like to nominate the new Steve Martin book, An Object of Beauty.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) The poll is open - please take a minute to vote for our January read!

message 16: by Claire (new)

Claire (lindlec) Can I nominate "The Gargoyle" and "The GOod Earth""

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Dec 10, 2010 06:16AM) (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Claire - I went ahead and added them to the polls since only 4 people had voted so far.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Don't forget to vote for our January group read!! Only two more days left to let your voice be heard!!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) It's official - Room is going to be our first group read for January! I can't wait - I've been wanting to read it since it was released :-)

message 20: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I just ordered it!

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) FANTASTIC!

message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire (lindlec) I loved Room - was definitely my read of this Year!

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Good to hear!

message 24: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) I read this book and I think there is so much hype to it. It was good but I don't think it was a 5 starer. But hwy that's my opinion. I wish I loved all the books I've read!

message 25: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) | 39 comments Room was an interesting read because of the perspective from which it was told. I have to agree with Donna, though, not 5 stars by any stretch.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Glad to hear it's good, even if it's not a 5* read. Books that good seem to be few and far between. Can't wait to start the new year and a new group read with all of you!

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I'm looking forward to it as well, Sarah.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Happy New Year everyone! I'm looking forward to reading and discussing Room with you this month! I have it on hold at the library, but I have a feeling I may have to buy it if I want to read it anytime soon.

message 29: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Sarah, I had to buy it. I tried the library and I was like number 160!

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) I just got an e-mail that my request for Room is ready and waiting for me to pick it up! Can't wait!

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Excellent! I just finished it today.

message 32: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
That's great, Sarah!