Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Black Jack Randall

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina | 9 comments I was just wondering do any of the books discuss Captain Randall's death? I know it was at the Battle of Culloden and I remember Jamie waking up in the field with his head on his leg or something (not quite sure of the details). I am almost finished Drums of Autumn and wondered if DG elaborated any more on that subject and maybe I just haven't gotten to it yet. I'm assuming Jamie killed him/severed his head....? Thanks Ladies!!!

message 2: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments This is one of the unsolved mysteries. Jamie has had a few small 'flashes' of memory from Culloden, and I suspect that we'll find out the whole gory truth in the next book - or the one after that! :)

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i thought maybe murtagh had something to do with it...but i'm not sure

message 4: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Great Question... And I don't think anyone can answer it.. Its one of those many storylines yet to be revealed...

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (gotrr) | 9 comments I think DG is holding the mystery of what happened at Culloden until the last book. Jaime only has sporadic memories of what went on during the battle and at some point all of his memory is likely to return. I'm bettin' it will come back in the last book in some very dramatic fashion. I also think that it will reveal that Jaime was the one to kill Black Jack on the field.

message 6: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments And there is still another mystery about his death: Why was he not brought home to be buried there as they did with other officers? Remember, he found his grave in the kirkyard of St. Kilda's, which gave Frank the chance ....

message 7: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments Lotte wrote: "And there is still another mystery about his death: Why was he not brought home to be buried there as they did with other officers? Remember, he found his grave in the kirkyard of St. Kilda's, whic..."

Oh, I LOVE this question! Well done, Lotte!

message 8: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I'm with Dee, I could swear that Jamie had a memory flash of Murtagh and BJR fighting at Culloden and that they caused each other's death.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) Wendy wrote: "I'm with Dee, I could swear that Jamie had a memory flash of Murtagh and BJR fighting at Culloden and that they caused each other's death."

I remember something like that happening as well. I thought it was Murtagh that killed Randall.

message 10: by Pinda (new)

Pinda | 144 comments Do you guys remember what book that might be in?

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i think its in a breath of snow and ashes when they go to fight against the brits and maj macdonald is killed...jamie has a pre-battle memory of murtagh...I think...

message 12: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments It was either in breath or Echo, I'm pretty sure that Dee is right though and it was Breath because that sounds familiar too.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments it was def. in breath because it was in NC...they were at a river...I remember the part about maj. mcdonald being shot and drowning...i think its before bree and co go forward in time

message 14: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Oh yeah! They were in NC! I'm so glad someoene else remembers that about Murtagh because most of the time people think I'm making it up.

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments It's in ABOSAA, Chapter 113 The Ghosts of Culloden. Jamie also has a vision/memory of Murtagh in Chapter 10 Duty Calls. Even with these flashbacks it's still a very incomplete picture of what happened to both Murtagh and BJR.