Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Group Reads > December's Book - A Simple Amish Christmas by Vannetta Chapman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Please join us this month in reading A Simple Amish Christmas, Vannetta Chapman's debut novel.

A Simple Amish Christmas by Vannetta Chapman

Annie Weaver always planned to return home, but the 20-year old RN has lived in Philadelphia for three years now. As her time of rumschpringe is about to come to an abrupt end, bringing for Annie an overwhelming sense of loneliness. She returns home and finds herself face-to-face with a budding romance with an Amish farmer and Annie has several important choices to make.

Feel free to post your comments about the book and any questions you think would be good for group discussion. Our group reads tend to be a rather informal affair so just chat away! Spoilers are perfectly fine but it might be a good idea to type ***SPOILER*** at the start of your post to alert any members who haven't finished the book if you're mentioning a major plot point that should be kept secret.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments This was such a great book! I look forward to chatting about it next month. I hope Vannetta's publisher will make a spot for this book to turn into a series!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I definitely hope that she gets to continue writing about these characters, and it was left open for continuation so hopefully this will happen...?

message 4: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I agree! I want to know what happens next! I have to say this is a wonderful book. I appreciate that it focuses on what Christmas is truly about: love and family. It had made me eager to spend Christmas with my family! It's a beautiful reminder to us all to not get caught up in the commercial nature of Christmas as it tends to be today!

message 5: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments She told me in a comment that she has 2 more books mapped out but is waiting on the publisher to see if there will be a spot for them. She was telling people to write the publisher to let them know how much we like her book.

I agree it was interesting to learn how the Amish celebrate Christmas in her book. There are quite a few characters I am wondering what will come of them.

message 6: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Oh that's fantastic Abbie! Do you know how we can get a hold of the publisher to spread the message? I'd gladly send an email or letter letting the publisher know I want to see more!

message 7: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I talked with Vannetta and she said that she is planning on having more books with these characters.

I loved this book so much that I bought it for my mom for Christmas and I got Vannetta to send me an autographed bookplate for it. I sure hope she pops in to join in the discussion, I did send her a message.

message 8: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Also, it was an freebie for the kindle last month (not now). I hope everyone grabbed a copy of it before it was too late!

message 9: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Agreed! Hopefully we all grabbed it while we could. But, if not, it's definitely worth the buy! :)

message 10: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Here is Vannetta's Publisher on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nashvil...

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) So, who is actually reading this right now? Or did all of us get too excited and read it before December? :P

message 12: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments I actually read it before I joined this group its the book that got me interested in Amish Fiction! Maybe we should pick a different book for the month? I like the idea of reading and talking about it!

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Well, if we've all already read it then that means we can jump in and talk about it without revealing any spoilers! I think everyone is holding back so that they don't ruin the story for anyone not yet finished.

message 14: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Good point!

message 15: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I read it back in September or October for Net Galley so I am ready to talk about it too!!

message 16: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
I also read it for Netgalley in October/ Novem ber I do not remember, but I loved the book and can't wait for another one too. I love reading books like this when its cold and they seem to drink a lot of hot stuff like my favorite hot chocolate! It gets me all in the winter/holiday mood!

message 17: by Lorie (new)

I asked the question in my review on my blog about the deal with the store and that it was just left not finished in the story. You know someone else buying it and Vanetta said the next book would pick up on that but it had not been approved by her publisher yet. I think that would make a neat storyline to go into.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Yeah, I also thought that the storyline about the store and about the teenage girl could have been continued - hopefully her publishers will want her to write a follow-up book?

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1576 comments Mod
Don't spoil things yet! We had a road trip last week & I grabbed A Plain and Simple Christmas by Amy Clipston instead of A Simple Amish Christmas by Vannetta Chapman along with Spring's Renewal by Shelley Shepard Gray in case I had a lot of time on my hands. Now I need to finish Spring's Renewal, which I'm really enjoying.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Don't worry Barbara, we won't! Give us a shout when you're finished :) I'm sure our vagueness about the store and the teenage girl will just make you more eager to read the book.

What did you think of Amy Clipston's novel? I've put it on my Christmas list, hopefully someone in my family will buy it for me!

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 99 comments Abbie wrote: "I actually read it before I joined this group its the book that got me interested in Amish Fiction! Maybe we should pick a different book for the month? I like the idea of reading and talking about..."

I'd think picking a different book would be disappointing for the author who I'm sure hopes to join in a discussion of her book. Just sayin'.

message 22: by Abbie (last edited Dec 04, 2010 08:42AM) (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments I am not trying to be disappointing to the author I would just like to be able to talk about a book we are all reading or have read. I am find talking about this book it was a great read but I see now we can't say too much since a few have not read it yet.

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 99 comments I imagine things might be a little slow at first since this is December and people are realizing Christmas is barreling down on us. It's early in the month...

message 24: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments Its fine I have plenty of books to read. :)

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Well, Abbie, why don't you tell us what you liked about this book? I'm sure it's possible to talk about it without spoiling any special details.

Personally, I liked the fact that Annie's family welcomed her back despite her living in the "English" word for so long and having become a nurse. Some Amish books, such as those by Beverly Lewis, sometimes give me the impression that the Amish don't look kindly on those that stray from their way of life, but Annie's family were so open and kind and just let her come home. What did everyone else think of this?

message 26: by Lorie (last edited Dec 04, 2010 11:51AM) (new)

Yeah I was trying to be vague with those things since some may have not finished. Believe me I'm not giving anything away important to this story.

message 27: by Barbara (last edited Dec 04, 2010 12:49PM) (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1576 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Don't worry Barbara, we won't! Give us a shout when you're finished :) I'm sure our vagueness about the store and the teenage girl will just make you more eager to read the book.

What did you th..."

I loved it!! I hadn't read the others in Kauffman Bakery series, but Amy reassured me that I didn't have to in order to enjoy this one. I do want to read the others but I didn't want to wait to be able to read a Christmas book. I found Anna Mae's father to be a lot like my Italian step-father, so I felt very close to Anna Mae. :-)

I hope you do get it for Christmas.

message 28: by Vannetta (new)

Vannetta Chapman (vannettachapman) | 102 comments Hi, ladies. Is it okay for me to chime in? First, for those of you who have read ASAC, thank you for all the kind things you have said. For those who haven't read it yet - let me know what you think when you do!

You know the biggest complaint with the book has been that I left so many parts of the plot un-resolved - which of course I did intentionally. I had FOUR more books planned out. I'm happy to report that the senior editor at Abingdon emailed me before Thanksgiving asking to see what else I had, and I emailed her with that proposal last week. So prayers are appreciated ... hopefully I will hear soon.

In the mean time, if there's any specific portion of THIS story that you'd like me to chime in on, let me know! I love the story of Annie and Samuel. They're very dear to me, and I actually do miss interacting with them.

Thanks again for choosing this book for your December read.

message 29: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 240 comments O I am so excited for you Vannetta!

I have a question! Do most Amish have a person like Samuel who helps with medical things or do they mostly go to a English Dr but only for curtain things? Some books I have read they seem to go to the town Dr and I have not read of a person like Samuel. Just curious. :)

I love the love story but don't want to say to much about it since some have not read it.

message 30: by Vannetta (new)

Vannetta Chapman (vannettachapman) | 102 comments That's a good question, Abbie. Actually while I did my research I found that Amish people use medical facilities the same as we would for major illnesses, but for minor things they are much less likely to go. They'll either wait, try a home remedy, or see a naturalist (like Samuel). A good example of this is the use of midwifes, who do have some medical training. I think these people provide a sort of bridge between the Amish and Englisch community.

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 99 comments Hmmm, Vannetta, we both got good news from Abingdon Press before Thanksgiving...

message 32: by Vannetta (new)

Vannetta Chapman (vannettachapman) | 102 comments Excellent! I love to hear that, Barbara.

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (atimetolove) | 99 comments It's been a good year for both of us.

message 34: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I hope they approve your books Vannetta because I love the story so far!

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Thanks for popping in, Vannetta! It's so exciting to hear that you might get to write more about the characters from ASAC.

It was interesting to hear about whether there are other "Samuels" in the Amish world, good question, Abbie!

One thing that has always intrigued me about the Amish is how people are shocked that they always have home births - unless there is a complication. My mum had a home birth with my little brother, entirely voluntarily, back in 1996, and just had a midwife and my dad in the room. Very similar to the situations in the books I've read about the Amish! Her reasoning was that hospitals are the easiest places to catch viruses and bacteria, especially after a birth, and that if anything did go horribly wrong - for example, if the baby was really ill and only had a few minutes to live, she'd at least be able to hold him rather than him being whisked away by doctors. Obviously if there had been any worries during her pregnancy she would have gone to the hospital, but the birth went totally fine.

Anyway, I guess my point is that all the Amish home births didn't surprise me at all, but perhaps home births aren't so common in the US? I know a few people who have had the over here in the UK but maybe the situation is different. Does anyone have any views on this? Sorry if this sounds rambling!

message 36: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments Hi Vanetta, I haven't started reading this book yet but my son is picking it up for me today and then I can start! So excited and good to meet you!

message 37: by Vannetta (new)

Vannetta Chapman (vannettachapman) | 102 comments Thanks, Camille.
Gail, I can't wait to see what you think!

Rachel, this surprised me more than any other thing I learned while doing my research. You are correct about the lower risk of infection in home births. I was shocked! And quite a few Amish do still have births at home (I think it was 50%, but I"d have to check my notes). Of course, only when there are no complications ... that's very cool about your mum.

message 38: by Lorie (new)

I enjoyed reading Chrismas Cradles by Kelly Long a short story in An Amish Christmas: December in Lancaster CountyIt is about a midwife and in some small ways reminded me of ASAC. Make sure you get the expanded edition because Christmas Cradles is the extra story in it.

message 39: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments Thanks Lorie, I can't wait to start it!

message 40: by Eva (new)

Eva  (booklover1492) | 15 comments I finished the book tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I definately hope there will be continuing of the story. Great read. I give it 5 stars.

message 41: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments Eva, I just started it and am on chapter 5. It's great so far, I'm loving it!

message 42: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Hello Vannetta! I'm glad you were able to stop by and join us in our conversation about ASAC!

I am so excited to hear that you are planning on 4 books in this series. I cannot wait to read the next one!

message 43: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments Hi Diane, I'm so happy to hear there are 4 more books in the series, I'm also really looking forward to it!

message 44: by Vannetta (new)

Vannetta Chapman (vannettachapman) | 102 comments I don't know how many of you ladies are on FB, and I really don't want to give anything away, but I just had a reader ask me for a cross-stitch pattern of a cross-cradle. Has anyone seen this? I envisioned it, but haven't seen it anywhere. If you have, please let us know.

message 45: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments Hi Vannetta, I am on FB but I never heard of a cross-cradle. Sorry!

message 46: by Vannetta (new)

Vannetta Chapman (vannettachapman) | 102 comments Well, I posted the reader's request on my FB page. I mention a GIFT in ASAC (don't want to give away too much for those of you not done yet). This reader wants to cross-stitch the same thing. Do you remember it? Depicts a cross and a cradle...

message 47: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments Nope, haven't quite gotten there yet!

message 48: by Eva (new)

Eva  (booklover1492) | 15 comments Vannetta wrote: "Well, I posted the reader's request on my FB page. I mention a GIFT in ASAC (don't want to give away too much for those of you not done yet). This reader wants to cross-stitch the same thing. Do yo..."

Yes I do. Won't say anymore to spoil it.

message 49: by Terri (new)

Terri I just finished this book last night....and I LOVED it! Can't wait for the rest of the series!

message 50: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments Still reading it and loving it!

« previous 1