Readers who hike discussion

Non-fiction that involves hiking?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lmdinmn) | 5 comments There's a thread about fiction, how about non-fiction books that involve hiking?

Here's a few I enjoyed:

Lost in the Wild by Cary J Griffith
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45...

The Last Season by Eric Blehm
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

message 2: by Atman (new)

Atman (revatman) | 3 comments Our local librarian gave me a paperback copy of A Walk in the Woods, by Bryson.

It's the next thing on my reading stack.

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffschneider) | 9 comments Mod
I just got The Last Season for Hannukah - I had already skimmed it in a book store and almost bought it. It looks great

Lost in the Wild has just been added to my wish list too! Exciting description.

As for Bryson, please keep in mind that there are other Appalachian Trail books out there. This one is my favorite - he actually hiked the whole trail, and is an excellent writer. His thru-hike was in the 70s, so it's interesting to compare how the trail is currently

As Far as the Eye Can See

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 07, 2010 04:44AM) (new)

Wanderlust.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/78...

Maybe you could be interested in a "group reading" of Walden of Thoreau? http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lmdinmn) | 5 comments Jeff wrote: "I just got The Last Season for Hannukah - I had already skimmed it in a book store and almost bought it. It looks great

Lost in the Wild has just been added to my wish list too! Exciting descrip..."

I've added As Far as the Eye Can See to my list, thanks!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I just leant out Dan White's http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27... which was an entertaining account of his Pacific Crest Trail; wouldn't treat it as a how to though!

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg Golz | 1 comments Check out "A Walk Across America." My mom read this to me as a kid and I picked it back up at age 28.

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffschneider) | 9 comments Mod
Thank you for recommending The Last Season

An amazing story about an amazing man in an amazing place

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen (patriciaklichen) | 7 comments Thanks, Helen. I hadn't heard of Dan White's "The Cactus Eaters"--I'll check it out.

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen (patriciaklichen) | 7 comments Finished "The Cactus Eaters." Wow, if I were the author, I'd have disguised it as fiction--it dives so deeply into his personal flaws.

Oh Greg--now I remember that book ("Walk Across America")! It's been many years since I've thought of it. I might have to look it up again. As I recall, he stopped in at The Farm, a commune in Tennessee that I visited for a few months myself...

message 11: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (airgunde) | 1 comments Though not involving hiking precisely the book Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why interested me extremely and I am sure would interest others. The book talks about survival situations in the wilderness and what sets apart the people that make it through extreme circumstances and who doesn't. I couldn't stop reading this book!

message 12: by Leslie (last edited Oct 02, 2011 12:14PM) (new)

Leslie (lmdinmn) | 5 comments I just finished reading Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer

It's about a young man who hiked around the West/Southwest or four years and disappeared at the age of twenty in the Utah desert. The first half of the book is about Everett and his travels, which we know of through his letters home and his diaries. The second half is about the efforts to find him after he disappeared.

If you liked "Into the Wild" or "The Last Season" you will enjoy this book. Jon Krakauer actually wrote about Everett in a chapter of Into the Wild and he wrote the foreword in this book.

message 13: by Vic (new)

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 6 comments I can't resist pointing out that my own book "Vic's Big Walk" is about my hike of almost 2,000 kms at age 70 from South West France to North West England. I walked for 70 days, from my current home to the house where I was born, arriving on my 70th birthday. The walk was to raise funds for research into a cure for pancreatic cancer. All proceeds from the book go to the same cause.

message 14: by Vic (new)

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 6 comments Thanks Leslie, I have also added the Everett book to my list.

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Herr (patriciaellisherr) | 2 comments Leslie, I love David Roberts' books. Haven't yet picked up the Ruess one, will check it out.

Greg, A Walk Across America -- that's a dream of mine, to do just that. Will buy that book, I bet it's a great read.

message 17: by Jono (new)

Jono Lineen | 1 comments Interested in hiking and non-fiction, take a look at my recently released book Walking the Earth's Spine A book length narrative on a four month 2700 km trek I made through the Western Himalayas.

message 18: by E.P. (last edited Jul 01, 2013 05:29PM) (new)

E.P. Shirleyjack | 1 comments Non-fiction books involving hiking/exploring on foot/trail running that I've read and enjoyed:
Turn Right at Machu Picchu Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time by Mark Adams
Through the Brazilian Wilderness by Theodore Roosevelt
The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann
Born to Run A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall
Travels in Alaska by John Muir

Haven't read yet:

Walking to Canterbury A Modern Journey Through Chaucer's Medieval England by Jerry Ellis
Off the Road A Modern-Day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route into Spain by Jack Hitt
Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
Bob Marshall in the Adirondacks Writings of a Pioneering Peak-Bagger, Pond-Hopper, and a Wilderness Preservationist by Phil Brown
Planetwalker 22 Years of Walking. 17 Years of Silence. by John Francis

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Chanaud | 1 comments Sole to Soul by Cheryl Chanaud

message 20: by Vic (last edited Jul 21, 2013 06:23AM) (new)

Vic Heaney (vic_heaney) | 6 comments "Vic's Big Walk from South West France to North West England"

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle G | 4 comments Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed...I can't put it down!!!

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason Dailey (jasondailey) | 2 comments Wild is a really good read. Always been a fan of adventure writing and this was a nice addition. I read Paul Stutzman's Hiking Through after about a man losing his wife and finding peace on the AT. Different perspective for sure and another goo read I would recommend.

message 23: by Danielle (new)

Danielle G | 4 comments Excellent! Thank you for the suggestion!

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason Dailey (jasondailey) | 2 comments I know this is a book thread but I recently watched a great documentary on the john muir trail called Mile Mile and a Half. It was about a group of artists that took a month off and hiked the 200+ mi trail. It was so creative and well done I cant help but pas it along. Its available on itunes to rent but the dvd has some excellent extras.

message 25: by Danielle (new)

Danielle G | 4 comments Very very cool!! I'll check it out. It's my dream to hike the AT. And we are looking at doing some smaller trails long before the AT. Thank you!

message 26: by Tim (new)

Tim  Simmons | 2 comments Shipromatum - I grew my boobs in China I just got through reading this book. It is a great story about a mom who just got divorced, and she and her two teenage daughters, and son loaded up their backpacks to travel around the world for a year. Funny name for a book, but it is a good read.

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim  Simmons | 2 comments I Hike, White Blaze Fever, Becoming Odyssa, Skywalker, The Kindness of Strangers, Hiking Through, and Wild are also some good books. I'm currently reading Love At First Hike and it is also a good book so far.

message 28: by Danielle (new)

Danielle G | 4 comments Thank you so very much for the suggestions!!!!!

message 29: by Angela (last edited Jan 27, 2014 10:20PM) (new)

Angela (angelaskell) | 5 comments Danielle wrote: "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed...I can't put it down!!!"

Did not like it. Wanted more of the hiking experience not the poor me, I'm having sex, and swearing a lot experience. It was way to self-indulgent, forced, and many happenings were disconnected.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello to all,

How about Colin Fletcher, The Man Who Walked Through Time? Classic.

I bow.

message 31: by Terry (new)

Terry O'Brien Here's a few non-fiction walking books.
That I have enjoyed.
No Destination: An Autobiography by Satish Kumar No Destination An Autobiography by Satish Kumar

A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor A Time of Gifts: On Foot to Constantinople - From Hook of Holland to the Middle Danube by Patrick Leigh Fermor

Between the Woods and the Water by Patrick Leigh Fermor Between the Woods and the Water: On Foot to Constantinople The Middle Danube to Iron Gates by Patrick Leigh Fermor

message 32: by Tom (new)

Tom Stone | 5 comments Just finished Jennifer Pharr Davis's book "Called Again" about setting an overall speed record on the +2500 mile Appalachian Trail. Hiking at about 45 miles a day and with husband's(and others)support and needing 5,000 to 6,000 calories/day. An interesting, quick read.Called Again: Love and Triumph on the Appalachian Trail

message 33: by Jeffrey (last edited Dec 21, 2018 11:43AM) (new)

Jeffrey Doran | 4 comments I'm new to Goodreads, as I have just a published a new book, which fits perfectly into this discussion. In case you're interested, it's called Ramble On: A History of Hiking: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

I thought I would share a few other titles that I have read over the years that you might like:

Grandma Gatewood's Walk, The Last Season, Escape From Lucania are all great reads.

On the "pretty good" side, you may want to check out Dances With Marmots, or Skywalker.

Not necessarily hiking, but on the adventure or survival side of nonfiction books, Miracles in the Andes is great read. My top recommendation is We Die Alone by David Howarth. Outstanding book about a small group of Norwegian commandoes who landed in Nazi-occupied Norway during a secret mission in 1943. The bulk of the book is about one surviving soldier's walk across the country to escape the Nazi's looking for him - a truly incredible story.

Finally, on the lighter side, Seasonal Disorder by a Glacier National Park ranger is a very ammusing read.

message 34: by Tom (new)

Tom Stone | 5 comments One of the best of the hiking the AT books is AWOL by David Miller.AWOL on the Appalachian Trail.

Of course, Bryson's AT book (A Walk in the Woods) is hilarious and superbly entertaining (I've read it 4 or 5 times) but there are certainly some "creative" elements in it as well and not a huge amount of practical information.

message 35: by Tom (new)

Tom Stone | 5 comments Just finished "The Last Season" by Eric Blehm. Highly recommended.

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (gonecountrygal) | 7 comments Blehm’s has been on my list a while (better bump it up), but as far as a survival story, I was entranced with Alive: Lost in the Andes.

message 37: by Tom (new)

Tom Stone | 5 comments Let me suggest: "Washburn, Extraordinary Adventures of a Young Mountaineer". About Brad Washburn who made some first ascents, some with his wife, in Alaska and elsewhere back in the days when you needed to pound nails into your boots to make something like Microspikes.

message 38: by Valentin (new)

Valentin | 1 comments Check out my eBook (I'm an editor of the book). It's called Ultimate Guide to Planning Hiking Trips - an easy to read source for planning hiking trips. It can be downloaded from our website (it's free of charge).
Download a copy of the guide and tell me what's your opinion about it. You can do it at https://www.camotrek.com/blogs/news/w...

message 39: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Blanchard (k1ypp) | 1 comments Some of my favorite hiking books are, in no particular order: "A Walk In The Woods", by Bill Bryson, "Skywalker," by Bill Walker and "Wild," by Cheryl Strayed. I may be biased, but there is also my book, "Three Hundred Zeroes: Lessons of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail." Enjoy. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...

message 40: by Ralph (new)

Ralph | 2 comments Aaron wrote: "Though not involving hiking precisely the book Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why interested me extremely and I am sure would interest others. The book talks about survival s..."
This has been my bible ever since I first read it in about 2004. We do a lot of long distance hiking, and I constantly keep this book in mind when making decisions in the wilderness.

message 41: by Ralph (new)

Ralph | 2 comments Then you would like Anish's book on the same subject: https://www.amazon.com/Mud-Rocks-Blaz... ,
As well as her book on her Pacific Crest Trail speed record:
https://www.amazon.com/Thirst-2600-Mi...