Unputdownables Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > (December) Full Dark No Stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wallace (last edited Nov 30, 2010 09:57AM) (new)

Wallace | 303 comments Mod
Nadia will be leading this group of readers... enjoy the book!

If you are planning on reading this book along with Nadia, will you please leave a quick message here so she knows who's reading along with her? Thanks!

message 2: by JudiAnne (new)

JudiAnne (judipatooti) Hi Nadia, I'm listening to it on audio CD. Yeh! I'm gladFull Dark, No Stars was picked since I 'm already reading it. I am still on the first story. It's really creepy but in a good way as only Stephen King can do!

message 3: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments I'll be reading too! :)

message 4: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Judith, that sounds great! I love creepy in a good way and King is perfect at finding that balance!

Zoe, I'm so glad this one got picked :)

I just started it and figured we can add questions as they crop up and discuss from there. Enjoy Full Dark, No Stars!!

message 5: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Crikey! I just finished the first story, 1922 - and, yikes! All I can think of now is rats - yuck!

Has anyone finished that story? What did you think of it? Did you think that Wilf got what he deserved? Did Arlette win in the end?

message 6: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Okay, so now I've finished with three of the stories and its quite clear that one theme used throughout each of these stories is the idea of self - like how many different selves do we each have inside (Conniving Man, the Old Tess, etc.). What do you think? So far, I've enjoyed each story, but Fair Extension sticks out most. I still have one more to go. How you are you all getting along with the book?

message 7: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments I haven't started it yet, I'm still working on A Clash of Kings. But don't worry, once I start it I will finish it in like, 2 days. That's how I am with all of King's books!

message 8: by JudiAnne (new)

JudiAnne (judipatooti) Nadia wrote: "Okay, so now I've finished with three of the stories and its quite clear that one theme used throughout each of these stories is the idea of self - like how many different selves do we each have in..."

I'm still on the first story and it's going slower because I'm listening to it on audio book CD while I do things in the kitchen. It's entertaining.

message 9: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Okay, I dig it. I don't want to rush anyone, take your time and enjoy King :) I just finished the last story last night and I'm thinking its my favorite of the four. I'm still mulling over them all - definitely an interesting read. Can't wait to chat with you about it :)

message 10: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments Well I just couldn't wait any longer and started the book yesterday! I'm almost done with the first story and I'm enjoying it. Curious to see how it ends.

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 113 comments Just finished! The last story was my favorite, but I loved them all. I really think he's a master at writing novellas (that's the right word for it, right? 100-ish page short stories?) He gets it just right - the exposition, the buildup, the climax, the finale - in just the right length. I really want to go back and read some of my favorite books of his again (The Stand, Desperation, It), but I have so many unread books I want to read! I sometimes feel frusterated knowing I'll never get to all the books I want to read!

message 12: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Zoe, I know what you mean. Makes me want to reread The Stand, too. King is awesome at these novellas - he captures so much in such a short story.

I thought it was fantastic how these everday people were able to go so deep within themselves in order to deal with such horrifying circumstances or in some cases become so detached from their former selves in order to commit some horrific crime (I'm thinking of Wilf from the first story). Its so fascinating to read about.

message 13: by JudiAnne (new)

JudiAnne (judipatooti) I just finished the first story on the CD version Full Dark, No Stars. The farmer and his son created some serious karma for themselves. It just goes to show there is a consequence for every action. The rats gave me the willies. Yuck!!! I really felt sorry for the poor cow who got her teat bitten off by the big rat. She was the only one of them that didn't deserve what she got. I really thought the farmer, wife and son were all quite despicable but told with the creepiness that only Stephen King can write!

I just started listening to the second story and I think it might be much more interesting than the first one. I love stories about revenge.

message 14: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Judith, you are so right about the karma. I mean come on, look what wound up happening to the son and his girlfriend - crazy! And those rats were creepy - they were crawling all over the place - yuck! Its true all three main characters were horrible people - there was nothing to like about them. And I just thought it was fair that Wilf didn't get the land after all, considering what he did. Its so great the way King writes - he really captures the essence of the characters quite well and creates such a disturbing atmosphere in the story that you definitely get the creeps reading it all. I love it!

The second one is a good one! Can't wait to find out what you think. Enjoy!