Cozy Mysteries discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Holiday cozies

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (bookwoman247) | 18 comments Are you planning to read any holiday-themed cozies this holiday season? Are there any holiday-themed cozies you'd like to recommend? Tell us about it here!

I'm planning on reading Holiday Grind by Cleo Coyle and Death, Snow and Mistletoe by Valerie S. Malmont this year.

I'd love to recommend A Highland Christmas by M.C. Beaton and the Christmas books by Anne Perry.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 154 comments May I tell you a bit about Buying Murder even though it's my own book? I don't want to be a spammer so I'll wait for a yea or nay.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 63 comments I'm also reading Holiday Grind once I finish my current book :)
I've re-read Dashing Through the Snowby Mary Higgins Clark and will also read,
A Merry Little Murder by Mary Welk, A Cold Christmas by Charlene Weir and Decked with Follyby Kate Kingsbury

message 4: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Nov 16, 2011 12:45PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 21197 comments Mod
This is a duplicate thread. Please see the on-going discussion, Holiday Themed Cozy Mysteries, for member recommendations for Christmas and other holidays.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (bookwoman247) | 18 comments 1. The mispelling is a typo

2. I didn't see the other thread. Sorry. I did look. I think it must have been chemo-brain kicking in.

@Michelle: Is Mary Higgins Clark very cozy? Thank you for all the recommendations!

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Heather L wrote: "One, you misspelled "holiday" in your title. ;)

Two, this is a duplicate thread. Please see the on-going discussion, Holiday Themed Cozy Mysteries, for member recommendations for Christmas and o..."

Both true, but you didn't have to come across so "mean" about it.

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Ann wrote: "1. The mispelling is a typo

2. I didn't see the other thread. Sorry. I did look. I think it must have been chemo-brain kicking in.

@Michelle: Is Mary Higgins Clark very cozy? Thank you for al..."

Don't worry about it! I always look for threads and then don't find them, so start another one. It happens all the time :)

message 8: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2010 06:23PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 21197 comments Mod
Melodie, I wasn't trying to sound mean (and I did put a smiley AFTER it), but though Ann claims she looked, the original thread is so current it was RIGHT AT THE TOP of the discussion list. I did not have to search for it at all. While it's great that there have been so many new members in this group, I'm sure I am not the only person who sometimes gets irritated with newbies who jump in without taking the time to look around and familiarize themselves with the group format or discussions (which has been happening a LOT more often since we were a featured group--not saying being featured was bad, just stating a fact).

And I am not trying to make Ann or anyone else feel bad, because honestly--there is one particular newcomer who has tried my patience more than others in duplicating topics and not reading rules of games (and who refuses to follow direction no matter how many times people explain them to her) and certain sections of the group--it just all came to a head with this particular duplicated topic. One of the many reasons why I haven't been participating here as much as usual.

I've also stopped bothering with comments where people post book covers you can't read in conversation instead of linking to or writing out book titles. I'm in a number of groups at GR, and this is the ONLY one where this is an issue. I honestly don't get why people do this. You wouldn't write a letter or an email to someone and insert a cover instead of writing out the title, so I don't know why people do it in this group. It makes it impossible to see what they are reading without wasting time (not to mention killing your wrist!) trying to mouse over a gazillion covers. Plus, the covers make the rest of the text of their message disjointed and difficult to read, especially when there are numerous covers in one paragraph. If people want to share the covers, I wish they'd do it at end of their posts. JMO.

But, people being as stubborn and illogical as they are, I've simply stopped trying to read those posts. *Shrugs* Not worth the time and energy, and it's amazing how much time it saves for other groups or online venues.

message 9: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (booknerd69) So, back to the topic...Rex Stout has a short story in his 4 story novella And Four to Go that is a Christmas story. It's good. Personally I am looking forward to Krista Davis' new book The Diva Cooks a Goose, which I believe comes out next week. That centers around Christmas as well.

message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Kelley wrote: "So, back to the topic...Rex Stout has a short story in his 4 story novella And Four to Go that is a Christmas story. It's good. Personally I am looking forward to [author:Krista Davi..."

Does anyone here cook a goose, or geese for Christmas? Instead of ham or a roast? If so, do you boil yours first? I've seen recipes that have you boil and drain for two days. To render the fat layer out for crispier skin, is the theory, I think. How many people will an average goose feed? How many pounds is the average goose?

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 63 comments Ann wrote: "1. The mispelling is a typo

@Michelle: Is Mary Higgins Clark very cozy? Thank you for al..."

@Ann-I guess your right..MHC isn't a cozy..by definition! In my excitement I babbled off my list of reads ;)

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (bookwoman247) | 18 comments @ Michelle:

I was just wondering, since I've never read her or Carol Higgins Clark. I'm more than half-way considering adding The Christmas Thief by Carol Higgins Clark to my holiday reading list, too. I very likely still will do so.

Not every book need be cozy. Just seems more in keeping with the season, IMO, and makes the season seem a little warmer and brighter.

By the same token, there are certain cozies I love reading in the summertime. Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series being a favorite summertime read of mine.

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Ann, Mary Higgins Clark is more or a traditional mystery writer, but they are good. I liked Silent Night.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne | 31 comments Melodie wrote: "Heather L wrote: "One, you misspelled "holiday" in your title. ;)

Two, this is a duplicate thread. Please see the on-going discussion, Holiday Themed Cozy Mysteries, for member recommendations f..."

Thanks for writing your comment. I agree with you that it sounded 'mean'.

message 15: by Melodie (last edited Dec 01, 2010 10:23AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Heather L wrote: "Melodie, I wasn't trying to sound mean (and I did put a smiley AFTER it), but though Ann claims she looked, the original thread is so current it was RIGHT AT THE TOP of the discussion list. I did n..."

Sorry we, and it seems particularly me, offend you. I've just always considered this a very friendly group.

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 71 comments Ann said:

I'd love to recommend A Highland Christmas by M.C. Beaton

I REALLY enjoyed that book! And just a cozy mystery without a murder...

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 63 comments Terri wrote: "Ann said:

I'd love to recommend A Highland Christmas by M.C. Beaton

I REALLY enjoyed that book! And just a cozy mystery without a murder..."

I agree..a great book. I read that a couple of years ago

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 63 comments Ann wrote: "@ Michelle:

I was just wondering, since I've never read her or Carol Higgins Clark. I'm more than half-way considering adding The Christmas Thief by Carol Higgins Clark to my holiday reading lis..."

She can be a little repetitive in her writing-but, I still enjoy her. I compare her to tv home movies..not terrible, but still fun (IMO of course).

message 19: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Kari wrote: "Would it be possible to close this thread so there is only one Holiday Thread?"

The moderator has to do it.

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Kari wrote: "I do not know the proper protocal. Is there a thread to contact the moderators or do we send a message to one of the moderators. Can the person who began the thread close it?"

The moderator has to close it - not the person who started the thread. You can send her a message, but the best idea would likely be just to stop posting comments on this thread and it will move down the list.

message 21: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 161 comments I'll post this on the other thread, too. I like the mother/daughter Clark Christmas mysteries. They are repetitive, but I enjoy the characters and they are fun reads. That said, I don't have any to read this year! Go figure!!
I am reading Fleece Navidad by Maggie Sefton. I just LOVE that title. Only in a cozy!! :-)

message 22: by bella (new)

bella (thespiceflows) I thought I would revive this thread. With the holidays coming up is anyone planning on reading any festive cozies?

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Ran across this book on my library's Overdrive site. Never heard of this series. Anyone have any thoughts?

Death of a Christmas Caterer Death of a Christmas Caterer by Lee Hollis by Lee Hollis

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4529 comments Kirsten wrote: "Ran across this book on my library's Overdrive site. Never heard of this series. Anyone have any thoughts?

Death of a Christmas Caterer[bookcover:Death of a Christmas Caterer|20257..."

I've read all but this newest one in the series and liked them. The characters are likable and the mysteries are about as involved as other light-weight cozies. Nice, fast reads.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.