Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > (Dec/Jan 2010-11) What Is Left the Daughter

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments What Is Left the Daughter by Howard Norman What Is Left the Daughter by Howard Norman

Post your discussion here.

message 2: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just checked this one out of the library, so I'll be getting to it soon.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I started reading this one about three weeks ago before Lisa had posted the call for nominations - I am glad it was chosen so I can see what you all think about it!

I said I STARTED it, but I haven't yet finished it. I am not quite sure what it is about this book, but it seems like everything I read flies right out of my brain as soon as I finish. I need to read it in large chunks at a time, I think.

My husband saw it lying on the table and said "that is a weird title" - that was one of the things that first grabbed me about it. The wording is interesting. I have about 100 pages left and plan on finishing it, even if I can't remember a thing once I am done. :)

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I am about half way done with the book and liking it so far. I agree with Brian, it's a weird title. I have to keep reading it from the cover to get it straight.

message 5: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I liked this story. That being said, it evoked feelings of sadness, regret, loss, greyness ... not a happy book, though there is a tiny bit of hope in it. It's set in Canada during WWII and addresses prejudices, anger and war-weariness. It's a quick, easily read book, with a sudden twist in the middle. I'm giving it 4 stars.

And the title makes sense by the end.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I finished this last night, and I felt like I didn't even read it. I think the writing was good, but this will be a book I forget easily and will look back on one day and probably think, "I read that?" - Wait, I take that back. I will never forget this book because of the TITLE. :)

If you're on the fence, I would say read it. For the past couple of months I have had a really hard time getting into books even though I continue to read them. I think it's outside forces working against my ability to distinguish good from bad, even though I did recognize The Friday Night Knitting Club as nonsense.

message 7: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Stephanie wrote: "I finished this last night, and I felt like I didn't even read it. I think the writing was good, but this will be a book I forget easily and will look back on one day and probably think, "I read th..."

I would somewhat agree with you there, Stephanie. Although I did seem to like it more than you, I do think it's one that won't stick in my mind a long time, either.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Apparently, Lynn, you and I are the only two members of Bookmarks that read this one. Do you think people were put off by our commentary? :)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I still might get to this, but I just haven't gotten my hands on a copy yet.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie You have so many books on your TBR shelf, I wouldn't necessarily make this one a priority.

message 11: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Stephanie wrote: "Apparently, Lynn, you and I are the only two members of Bookmarks that read this one. Do you think people were put off by our commentary? :)"

Hey, I liked it by the end! I think a few more should try it -- though it isn't an amazing story, it was a good one.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Wyatt Hillyer has written a letter to his estranged daughter revealing his tragic past, secrets, and ultimately his love for his daughter and her mother. Set in Nova Scotia, the remoteness of the area is felt in the isolation of Wyatt's character. Tragedy and tension always seem to be brooding in the atmosphere. WWII, the threat of U-boats, the sinking of the Caribou all contribute to the dark emotions, which eventually change Wyatt's life forever.

The dark tone of Wyatt's life could at times feel depressing and make me want to stop reading; but the importance of the "Highland Book of Platitudes" and classical music to the plot attached undertones of hope and understanding to the story, which kept me reading. Not a happy story, not one for everyone, but one worth reading. My rating: 3.5 stars.

message 13: by Das (new)

Das | 3 comments This book has been on my list for a while, after I saw it in my bookmarks mag. I'm glad to hear your feedback and am still looking forward to reading it. Thanks all!

message 14: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1266 comments So, I'm over a year behind on this group pick, but I got here eventually! I think I liked this better than anyone else. I'd give it a 4.5. I don't know if it was because it was on audio or not. The one piece of the story that annoyed me and I found somewhat implausible was Wyatt never having any contact with Tilda and Marlais after they moved to Denark.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

What Is Left the Daughter (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Howard Norman (other topics)