Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What is the Funniest Book You've Ever Read?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Lamb by Christopher Moore.

I remember reading it on the train en route to work, and I laughed so loud that half the people in the car turned to look at me. I couldn't help it.

I just have to think "Flogging the Pharisee" now to make myself laugh.

message 4: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I second Jen Lancaster and I also like the new David Sedaris book, Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I used to think some of the Robert Asprin books were pretty funny. Also the first five or so of the Xanth books from Piers Anthony gave me a chuckle.

Oh -- I should also mention I got a laugh from a lot of Jack Chalker.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Mort by Terry Pratchett had me laughing hysterically.
So did Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson by Louise Rennison.

I think I like British humor. :)

message 7: by ms.petra (last edited Nov 29, 2010 08:43PM) (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) In the last few years, this book comes to mind The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J Jacobs.

message 8: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) Bloodsucking Fiends was the first book I found LOL-type funny.

Rotten Little Animals was hilarious.

A lot of the Bizarro books I read are ridiculously funny.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the latest ozzie memoir was very funny. a girl named zippy really made me laugh and the first russell brand book comes to mind as well

message 10: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments

message 11: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments really terrible books make me laugh.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments A Confederacy of Dunces.

That is all.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I came in to make sure confederacy had been mentioned, and I second Petra's suggestion.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I love the Calvin and Hobbes too Bun.

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I forgot one.

Bonk

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) An Irish Country Village (Irish Country Books) by Patrick Taylor
Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor. Whatever I drank while reading it came shooting out my nose. Was sort of dangerous really.

message 17: by Jammies (last edited Nov 30, 2010 07:38AM) (new)

Jammies Phil wrote: "I used to think some of the Robert Asprin books were pretty funny. Also the first five or so of the Xanth books from Piers Anthony gave me a chuckle.

Oh -- I should also mention I got a laugh from a lot of Jack Chalker."

*quietly crushes on Phil*

Yes to the above, plus Pratchett, plus Patrick Mcmanus, plus Tanya Huff's "Smoke and..." series, plus 21 Dog Years : A Cube Dweller's Tale.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Stop Jammies, I can't keep up with the math :-)

message 19: by Jammies (new)

Jammies It's okay, Jim, they're imaginary numbers anyway. ;)

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I loved the early Piers Anthony and the Robert Asprin at the time that I read them. I think I was probably ten. I read Hitchhiker's Guide and The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul and a few Tom Holt books around that time too. Very punny.

I love David Sedaris, and also Bailey White's
Mama Makes Up Her Mind: And Other Dangers of Southern Living.
Oh! And To Say Nothing of the Dog!

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Ditto x3 to To Day Nothing of the Dog!

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori It's more like a quiet laugh, KD, but still very funny. I have yet to read Sedaris, I really need to! Here's him on Kimmel last night: http://jezebel.com/5702276/david-seda...

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I didn't like the last book as much as the previous ones, but he's pretty consistently funny. I hate most of his imitators though, since most of them don't wait long enough to have gained life experience before launching into their careers as self-investigative humor essayists. I HATED Sloan Crossley's first book.

message 24: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Am I going to be drug out into the street and shot if I say that David Sedaris is not funny to me?

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments No, Jammies. I can see arguments against his style, and humor is personal.

message 26: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments the last few James Doss books about the Ute detective, Charlie Moon especially when Doss brings in the teenager who has a giant crush on the much older Moon. Also Garrison Allen's cat series: movie cat etc. recently rereleased.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My favorite part of the Dirk Gently books is that he follows other cars under the theory that they'll take him where he needs to go.

message 28: by Eric (last edited Dec 02, 2010 04:07AM) (new)

Eric (eric_underscore) | 4 comments I laughed out loud at a few more

David Sedaris - Naked. I think it's his best.
Parliament of Whores by P.J. O'Rourke
Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Adams
Good Omens - Pratchett and Gaiman

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Welcome, Eric. Good additions!

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I second the welcome to TC Eric.

message 31: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I loved the part where he tries to get his housekeeper to clean out the fridge. I'm pretty sure that was the first DG book, but it may have been the 2nd one.

message 32: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Lori wrote: "It's more like a quiet laugh, KD, but still very funny. I have yet to read Sedaris, I really need to! Here's him on Kimmel last night: http://jezebel.com/5702276/david-seda......"

You've got to track down The SantaLand Diaries. OMG. HILARIOUS.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The SantaLand Diaries is better listened to than read, so you can hear David Sedaris sing "Away in a Manger" like Billie Holiday.

message 34: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Aynge wrote: "Lamb by Christopher Moore ..."

Absolutely my No. 1.
A Dirty Job was his next best.

Pratchett comes in a solid second with anything featuring Death as a main character.

A surprising chuckle was Dave Barry's Big Trouble... very entertaining.

message 35: by Aynge (last edited Nov 30, 2010 08:30PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments My #2 Chris Moore is Island of the Sequined Love Nun. "I've torn off my d*ck! I've torn off my d*ck!"
OMG ROFL.

Mark Leyner's Tetherballs of Bougainville made me laugh so hard my abs hurt. Really super bizarre but hysterically funny.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love MST3K, but I liked the Joel years a little more than the Mike years. Not because of Mike, but I liked the original Crow way better.

message 37: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) I found the relentless sharp, scathing, social satire of American Psycho extremely funny :o)

message 38: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) Instant Lives And More, by Howard Moss.

message 39: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Creech | 100 comments Catch 22 had me laughing out loud and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk.

message 40: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) Aynge wrote: "My #2 Chris Moore is Island of the Sequined Love Nun ..."

Island of the Sequined Love Nun was the first book of Moore's I ever read. I stumbled across it years ago in a used book store, and had to get it just because the title was too good to pass up. And then I fell in love with the funny guy in the fools cap.

Coyote Blue was also my least favorite, but I think that might be my failing rather than Moore's... my understanding is that he wrote it with the intention of giving a sincere accounting of the Native American Indian legend of the Trickster. I hope to read it again someday without the expectation of things like turkey bowling or other silliness.

message 41: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) The Throwback, Riotous Assembly or Indecent Exposure by Tom Sharpe.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.