~Opinions~ discussion

Politics > Wearing religious "signs"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 210 (210 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Here in DK a judge is not allowed to wear a cross, a burqa, a scarf or any other kind of relegious sign, while in the judging position. It is a matter of the judge being neutral. It is currently discussed in many countries, if things like burqas, scarfs and crosses should be banned from schools also. School teachers wouldn't be able to wear them. But kids wouldn't be either.

Personally, I think the judge thing is good. A judge should not be influenced by such things as relegions and nationality. For the school teachers however... I dunno, I don't think it's such a big deal. Of course I'd like to see their face, but if they believe that wearing a burqa is right, then they should wear a burqa. Dosen't make them bad teachers. But concerning teachers, it's not such a big deal for me. I don't really care. Now school students. Just discussing it is ridiculous I think. Why should people stop wearing scarfs and stuff just cause they go to school? It's tricky, cause you have to go to school, but if you cant wear a burqa/scarf/cross, then you wont feel combfterble. The governments all want imigrants to become a part of society, and I think that's great. But by forbidding such things, they just make people seek other solutions such as all-christian/all-muslim/all-somethingelse schools or homeschooling. That wont help the kids socialize. Therefor, I am against forbidding students to wear relegious signs.

What do you think? Is it alright? Why?

message 2: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Just letting you know, not trying to be nit picky or anything but this is how you spell Religious(:.

message 3: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Yeah, no wearing religious signs. Doesn't seem like too good of an idea.

message 4: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) At my school we aren't allowed to wear bandanas because the teachers associate it with gangs, which seems ridiculous to me. But, I can understand why teachers aren't allowed to wear religious signs. Growing up, teachers have lots o finfluence on childern and they should be teaching them factual things, nothing based on religion. It's like how teachers aren't allowed to discuss religion. So seeing teachers with that could influence childrens feelings about things, because a person they are taught to respect, look up to, and listen to, is wearing it.

message 5: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I think it's urs, and no-one elses, business what you wear.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I think it depends. I can see why a teacher shouldn't wear any kind og relegious or political stuff, but I don't care if they do. A judge however, shouldn't. A judge is, when in the judgning position, not definated as an individual. The judge is the Law when he or she is on duty. Therefor they shouldn't express any kind of personal opinions, while on duty.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael I don't see what the big deal is. A judge isn't making decisions based on biblical law so what difference does it make? Religious jewelry I also don't have a problem with but I don't know why people in certain situations couldn't be asked to wear it inside a shirt rather than outside. If the symbol provides comfort than it'll provide just as much comfort inside as outside. Banning a burka is, I think, starting to cross over into prejudice.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Because a judge is the law. And a law is not to be influenced by things like relegions. If the judge is relegious in his or hers personal life, that's their buisness and they can wear whatever they want. But a judge is neutral when s/he is on duty, and so they shouldn't express those kinds of individualism. They all wear those black and white things, because a judge is the spokeseperson of the law, and thus they shouldn't be wearing normal clothes, as this would place them as individuals. If the judge is wearing something symbol of relegion or political interest, they can be accused of taking a party. A judge is not allowed to judge from a personal opinion on the subject at hand, but only from the law. That is why judges are neutral and should stay that way.

- I did also say that I do not care if teachers wear relegious or political symbols/signs.

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I agree with you Michael, concerning the banning of burqas. It's definently crossing the line to ban them. Maybe they're banned from certain kinds of work (like Judge), but banning individuals from wearing them is just plain dumb, and is only done to prove a point, not because it's an actual problem that people wear burqas. In my opinion.

message 10: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yeah, 'course it's done to infuriate the muslims and to show us we're weak. It's a war, Emma. lol.

Just because judges are wearing a relegious sign, that doesn't change their judgements...

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Maybe, maybe not. But the judge is. not. an. individual. when. they. are. on. duty. A judge is completly neutral. A judge is the law. The law is the state. The state is not the church. The state is the people. ALL of the people.

And anyway, it's as much for the people who're being judged as for the judges themselves. If they were wearing a cross, and a Christian "won against" a Jew or a Muslim or whatever in court, they could easily be accused of having judged because they were relgious themselves, and not fairly from the law.

message 12: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) That's just stupid, but I get what you mean. Anyhow, our 'law' is our relegion, so we 'should' wear reelgious signs here. But then, if your talking about other countries then it's diffirent.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Well relegion isn't law in my country. We have many different people of many different relegions, and the laws apply to all, therefor relegion and law ain't the same thing here. Which is also why the judge is neutral.

message 14: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yeah, I gotcha

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Amina wrote: "Anyhow, our 'law' is our relegion,"

Amina, can you explain what you mean by this? Thanks.

message 16: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I mean, that the way the state should be governed is by relegion.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) SHOULD it be? Or Is your state? Because I disagree. I do not think a state should be governed by relegion. That be so greatly unfair to all the people who are not relegious or of another relegion.

message 18: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) It's an islamic country, if you can't take the government, don't live here. No-ones forcing you. And I said should. My state should be goverment by relegion but unfortunaty it isn't.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Kay. 'Cause I'd freak if my state was governed by relegion. I don't think a country can be an "Islamic country" or "a Christian country" or whatever else. There might be a majority of Muslims or Christians, but that dosen't make it their country. But that's just what I think.

message 20: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Er, yes it does. Pakistan was created for the purpose of having a country for Muslims to carry out their reelgious duties in peace.

message 21: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Yeah... I actually think it might be good for Pakistani government to have something to do with religion. 97% of people are Muslim.

message 22: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Exactly. And it's a shame we don't follow the ways of our Prophet and rule the state with relegion. Now it's just upto indivisuals..

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) As I said, that's just what I think. If you want to have a relegious state, go right ahead. But if they ever tried doing it n my country I'd be first in line to protest. Quicly accomponied by 5,5 million people :)

message 24: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yeah because your beleifs are that relegion shouldn't be anything to do with the state. We think differntly.

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yup. And that's just fine. I think the only thing we'll get out of this argument is that you'll never move to Denmark and I'll never move to Pakistan. Which, frankly, we'd probably figured out anyway ;)

message 26: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Haha. Right on.

message 27: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Sorry. DK = Denmark.

message 28: by meri (new)

meri (meri_is_a_saltedfish) | 127 comments i don't care...it's just one's physical appearance, right? we are all biased in many things...there's no such thing as even neutral...if i like to wear it..then i'll wear it...it's democracy right? freedom to wear what you want...

in case of teachers.itdoesn't matter..., if parents spend more time with their children then they will have more influence over their children..

in case of judges..oh...i don't know...i'm not really sure about that...i don't really know how a judge's appearance could affect anyone...

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Wait... Huh?

message 30: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments KIDS AND TEACHERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO WEAR RELIGIOUS SIGNS. sorry, i'm kinda pissed, kids on my bus are being very anti-jewish lately. *screams and tears heads off*

message 31: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 71 comments aww sorry Donatello, kids at my school can be a little anti-protestant and anti-muslim but I've never been directly affected by it

What happened :(

message 32: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments well, this kid stood up and shouted, "Is anybody on this bus Jewish? If you're a Jew, I'm going to f*** you up!"
i didn't hear the whole thing, i though he was just cursing at his friends as usual! otherwise i swear i would've kneed him right where it hurts!!

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael Donatello wrote: "well, this kid stood up and shouted, "Is anybody on this bus Jewish? If you're a Jew, I'm going to f*** you up!"
i didn't hear the whole thing, i though he was just cursing at his friends as usual!..."

I'm not really sure what that would have accomplished. Anti-Semites have been around for a long time and I'm not sure a kick in the balls would be effective.

message 34: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Anti-muslims have been around too, and we are taught to do exactly the opposte of kicking where it hurts. If you show 'em your good, they would stop hating us...

message 35: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments No, that wouldn't do anything. i'm silent on the bus, so i have to show they can't walk all over me. anyway, i don't think this dude is serious. he's just an idiotic eighth grader.

message 36: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 71 comments I think lack of religious diversity brings this up. I only here anti-muslim jokes when muslims are not in the room

message 37: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments oh, ppl in my school assume jews don't exist.

message 38: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 71 comments sorry :(

message 39: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments it's ok, i guess...

message 40: by meri (new)

meri (meri_is_a_saltedfish) | 127 comments it all comes down to one solution...adults must teach the youths to respect other religions...besides we have the same sky over our heads..

message 41: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments i thought he was just cursing at his friends as usual!! now my little brother's afraid to admit he's jewish!!!!!

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments Courtney wrote: "aww sorry Donatello, kids at my school can be a little anti-protestant and anti-muslim but I've never been directly affected by it

What happened :("

anti muslims! yikes! lol!

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments Courtney wrote: "I think lack of religious diversity brings this up. I only here anti-muslim jokes when muslims are not in the room"

muslims jokes?? intresting...

message 44: by Marianna (new)

Marianna | 66 comments I just wanted to mention that it is impossible for a country to follow any single religion.

Even if a country claims to be an 'islamic' or 'christian' or 'jewish' state, it does not necessarily mean that every single one of it's citizens must follow that religion.

There are muslims living in Israel, Jews living in Iran, Christians living in pakistan, and so on. Just because the majority of the population of a country follows a certain religion doesn't mean all of it's citizens follow that religion. There are always minorities.

In my opinion, everyone should be allowed to practice their religion freely and wear whatever religious symbol they like as long as it does not negatively affect the people around them. People of all religions should get the same rights and everyone should be treated equally simply because they are all humans.

Of course, that is all too good to be true and will probably never happen.

Discrimination occurs very often around the globe and people are treated unfairly on a regular basis because of stupid reasons like their religion, gender, or skin color.

I know it's a bit irrelevant, but I just had to mention that. :)

message 45: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments hear hear!

message 46: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments yeah. he's pretty sensitive, too. *bangs head on desk*

message 47: by Marianna (new)

Marianna | 66 comments *hands Donatello ice pack for the big bruise on her forehead*

Aww, the poor kid. If I were you, i'd give him a nice long lecture(well, maybe not a lecture. More like advice.) about how to keep his head high and be proud of whoever he is and not let other people make him feel bad about himself. Whatever happens, always be proud of who you are.

Of course, that doesn't mean you should walk around with a banner trailing behind you that says "I'm a Jew!" lol that would be funny. I just mean you shouldn't be ashamed of who you are. Hold your head up high. Be strong. We need strong people in this world!

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments yea to hell with those people who judge you just because you're a jew christian or a muslim!

message 49: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments i know, i am proud! i announce to everyone that i'm jewish, but they all look at me funny like i said i had leprosy or something. but it's impossible to have a serious conversation with my brother.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments how old is he?

« previous 1 3 4 5