~Opinions~ discussion

Education > "One kind" schools

Comments Showing 1-50 of 196 (196 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) We all know that there're such things as christian, muslim, etc. schools. These schools allowe only christians or muslims or only one gender.

So the question is, should their be all-white and all-black schools too?

Personally, I think NOT. It dosen't make any sense. At all. It's racist and discriminating and just plain wrong. I would demonstarte if such a school was ever opened and I'd be a pissed demonstrater. To have schools for one relegion... That's as far as it should stretch. I don't get why people would go to a one-relegion school, but if they want to they can. Same goes for boyschools and girlschools, though I do see some of the perks there. But an all-white or all-black school? Uhm, why? Black and white people don't have different mind-sets simply becuse they're black and white. So all in all, I think it's plain stupid.

What do you think? Is it okay? Would there be any perks, and what?

message 2: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I completely agree... I think anyone who is racist is ignorant and needs to start using their brain. I mean seriously, people are different because of their skin color? Come on... That's like saying I'm a lesser person than someone because my eyes are blue and theirs are brown. It's ridiculous.

message 3: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Relegiously seperating schools are fine... like for me, I'd prefer going to an islamic school because I'd feel much... erm, fiting. And seperating boys and girls is good because I wouldn't be able to go to a mixed school with my veil... I'd feel awkward. But I get what you mean about seperating blacks and whites. That's just racist.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yeah, and I think it's fine that you go to a relegious girls school, though i do not see the appeal. I see some perks with the girl schools, but I wouldn't want to go to one myself. I'm fine with people going to relegious schools, but I don't see the appeal, 'cause I like to mix with other relegions too, and get a better understanding.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Not all religious schools are just for that religion. I go to a Catholic school that has more religious diversity than my local public school.

message 6: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Yeah, like Amy goes to a Catholic school and she's an atheist.

message 7: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Mmmm, I think relegious schools are there, fine. But without them it would be fine too. I donno... I don't really care. But sex-seperated are a must.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) But why are they called relegious schools then? If it's for everybody anyway? Why not just normal public schools?

And as fot the single-sex schools. Again I say: They should be there for people who want to attend them. I would never personally go to a singæe-sex school, but, again, I do see some perks there, and people should have the chance to go to them.

message 9: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Not all relegious schools are for everyone... and they're mainly for the more relegious people.

message 10: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Sometimes people go to religious schools for a better education. A lot of the time, say a private christian school is a lot better than a public school. I've considered going to a Catholic school... but eh, it wouldn't work for me.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Emma (Consumed by Life) wrote: "But why are they called relegious schools then? If it's for everybody anyway? Why not just normal public schools?

And as fot the single-sex schools. Again I say: They should be there for people w..."

Like Juliet said, private religious schools can offer better educations than public schools. Also, they tend to be cheaper than secular private schools. Religious schools generally have mandatory religion classes (that can be dogmatic or very open-minded, depending on the school), and have religious services.

message 12: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments I think the religion classes could be kind of interesting.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Juliet wrote: "I think the religion classes could be kind of interesting."

So long as your teacher isn't psycho, but that applies to all classes, really. (My religion teacher this year is terrible...her class is physically painful to sit through.)

message 14: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Aww. That's awful. That was pretty much all my classes sophomore year. Ugh.

message 15: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Dec 01, 2010 07:22PM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments It's not all bad. I do get to read in that class, though. At the moment, I'm debating between putting off finishing the book I'm currently reading until my next religion class on Friday so I can finish it in that class, since the ending seems like it's going to be something good. But then again, I really want to know how it ends, and I don't know if I can wait until Friday. But I really need something good to read in religion class on Friday. Seriously, it's a matter of life and death. Sitting through that class without a distraction just might kill me.

Sorry about your sophomore year. :(

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "Emma (Consumed by Life) wrote: "But why are they called relegious schools then? If it's for everybody anyway? Why not just normal public schools?

And as fot the single-sex schools. Again I say: T..."

Alright. Then I get why they aren't that big here. We don't pay to go to public schools, only if we choose to go to private schools. And private schools tend to have better education and a more relaxed atmosphere. So they're probably a bit like your relegious schools, though without the, well, relegious part.

message 17: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yeah, it's the same in the UK, Emma

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yup. I like it that way :) I went to a private school and loved it :)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments We don't pay for public schools either. The schools we pay for are either religious private schools, which tend to be less expensive, or secular (non-religious) private schools, which can cost as much as college tuition.

message 20: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments I would LOVE to go a private school, no not a private school. A boarding school, I mean. I guess I'll just have to wait for college to have that atmosphere.

message 21: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I was in a pri school too. It was pretty cool. I also went to a public one... I'd say the private girls-school was better.

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I went to a normal, danish public school too. Didn't like it, went to private school. LOVED IT beyond words. Finished and went to continuary school (Kinda like a boarding school, but way more chillaxed). Finished and am now in Gymnasium. I <3 schools.

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 71 comments ^what is gymnasium, BTW I used to go to a private classics school, however I didn't like it, now I'm in public school and things are great (I still often complain about how kids don't try and how the beauracracy of Texas Education Board hinders learning)

message 24: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments I go to a Jewish private girls school, and I've never gone to public school, so I can't compare but i personally think public school kids are more cultured.

message 25: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments i also go to a jewish girls school. but i live in israel and here its perfectly normal.

message 26: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments yeah, i have cousins in isreal, where i live its considered totally normal, but just because I live in a jewish neighborhood.

message 27: by meri (new)

meri (meri_is_a_saltedfish) | 127 comments i go to a public school. and there's a religious school near us...i don't really care about them as long as they don't bother me. :)

and besides, i've been around everyone(girls, boys, heterosexuals) so I know how to handle them.

@Smog1997: please don't think that public school kids are more cultured..there's no such thing as more cultured than the other...each individual has his/her own culture...:)

message 28: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments Smog1997 wrote: "yeah, i have cousins in isreal, where i live its considered totally normal, but just because I live in a jewish neighborhood."

where do you live, if you dont mind me asking?

message 29: by Courtney (last edited Jan 11, 2011 04:32PM) (new)

Courtney | 71 comments One of my classmates confided to me that she would like to attend an all-black school if they were still around, I was SHOCKED because just 50 years ago she would have been forced to go to an all black school

about schools: What do you think about busing
busing is important but I don't think it should be mandatory

message 30: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments Zoe wrote: "Smog1997 wrote: "yeah, i have cousins in isreal, where i live its considered totally normal, but just because I live in a jewish neighborhood."

where do you live, if you dont mind me asking?"

its fine, I live in NY, which anyway has alot of Jews, and I live in a area thats called the " Five Towns", which is on Long Island. I live in the town of Cedarhurst. If you've never been to America, this probely won't make sense to you,though.

message 31: by Smog1997 (last edited Jan 11, 2011 06:09PM) (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments Megamarie wrote: "i go to a public school. and there's a religious school near us...i don't really care about them as long as they don't bother me. :)

and besides, i've been around everyone(girls, boys, heterosexua..."

sorry if i insulted u, i mean cultred, as in knowing about a more wide range of topics- random example knowing about greek mythology. I can probely safely say that a 1/4 of my grade has never heard of Shakespeare.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments I go to an International School :) there are A LOT of different people from almost EVERYWHERE in the world that go there :) I love my school haha.

message 33: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments that sounds really cool, ruby. i am really into different cultures.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Really? Yeah it's awesome, it's also fairly big, but not that big. About 800 students. And like every year we have this International Bazaar where people all over the city come to our school (and dang, that school gets packed!) and there are like stalls from different countries and they sell food and lots of other stuff so it's cool. And every year there is an international Day.. But that's only for students. They come to school dressed in their national costumes or colour and bring food from the country and each year group has a shared lunch.

Hehe so yeah. And tomorrow is a non uniform day and bad hair day (so we usually wear uniform and tomorrow we can mess up our hair.)

message 35: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments that sounds really cool. have fun at you no uniform day!

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) @Ruby: You have uniforms? That sounds so... strict.

message 37: by Smog1997 (new)

Smog1997 (confuzzlement) | 163 comments We have uniforms, and we never get a non- uniform day:(
But, whoa the international bazaar thing sounds really cool.

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Oh god. I could never wear a uniform.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Ugh yeah. So we wear a blue shirt (tshirt or the button shirt) and the 6th form people wear a white button up shirt and a blazer. And we wear black pants/shorts/skirts and plain black shoes and socks. And a school sweater.

message 40: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) | 202 comments ugh.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) It's sort of ironic, because half the time in my school, people have their school sports shirts and the other stuff teams sell on. So everyone is wearing the school's clothes, even though we have no uniform. .

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments Hahah wow. Like for gym class we have to wear our gym clothes.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments Emma (Snowy thoughts) wrote: "But why are they called relegious schools then? If it's for everybody anyway? Why not just normal public schools?

And as fot the single-sex schools. Again I say: They should be there for people w..."

over here there are just normal public school.. though there are seperate schools thats just for teaching quran.

message 44: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Well, I go to a mixed gender, mixed religion, mixed whatever-else-ou.come-up-with, NO uniform school. It is not a very strict school, at least not when concerning anything but the actual schooling: HW, Classes, etc.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments oh i go to mixed everything school too.. but with uniform though that doesnt count as strictness.

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) To me it does. *Shudders* Uniforms *Shudders again*. I don't even wanna think about wearing them. I like wearing my own clothes. It's more me.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments lol you have got to see my school sometime than... lol

message 48: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I'll see it, but I wont wear a uniform.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments its not that bad.. saves you time and the headache of looking for cloths :P but i guess thats cause am used to wearing uniforms .

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 529 comments True. I don't have many clothes that I like to wear for my own comfort. So it would be kinda weird wearing the same your own clothes all the time. So uniform makes life a lot easier. Plus, our uniform looks bad but not really bad ahaha you can always make it look good.

« previous 1 3 4