KidLit discussion

1st-3rd grade boy books

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Alexandra I tutor a 3rd grade boy in reading, and would love suggestions of books he might enjoy. His reading level is about 1st grade level. I'm been an avid reader since childhood, so I'm aware of the well-known older children's books. Any suggestions on newer or more obscure books welcome.

message 2: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) AGGIE AND BEN, by Lori Ries and illus. by Frank Dormer is a new and charming book about a boy and his dog.

message 3: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Alexandra I haven't heard of that one, I'll check it out. Thanks!

message 4: by Turtle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Turtle | 1 comments Even the most reluctant readers at my school will give the "Geronimo Stilton" books a try. They are an easy sell with silly titles and colorful text inside. I have to be honest, though - I've never read one. But the kids like them, and that's good enough for me!

message 5: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Alexandra Good, thank you! I'll check those out as well. I've used a few Magic Treehouse books, and those go over fairly well. And Captian Underpants, which is cute - although the mispellings in the portion showing the boy's comic book as they wrote it is bothersome for readers already struggling with the correct spellings of simple words. But boys like it, and that's a definate plus.

message 6: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 8 comments You mentioned his reading level was about 1st grade. Can he actually read the Magic Treehouse and the Captain Underpants books or are you reading to him? I would make different suggestions depending on your answer.

message 7: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Alexandra We're reading the 1st Magic Treehouse now (supposively 2nd grade level), but he needs my help - couldn't read it independantly. Some words are unknown to him. I haven't tried Captain Underpants yet - the book says it's 3rd grade level, I'm thinking he'd struggle even more with that right now. Independantly he does fairly well with the Early/Begining reader type books. A step up from Dr. Suess type books.

message 8: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 8 comments What about the new "Bones" mystery series by David Adler? One title is Bones and the Dinosaur Mystery or the "Commander Toad" series by Jane Yolen. One title is Commander Toad in Space or the "Fluffy" series by Kate McMullan. One title is Fluffys Happy Halloween

You can link to these and click on Amazon and check an excerpt of the book.

message 9: by Tiff (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Tiff (tiffe) Hi there!

I am a librarian in a large K-2 school so I have MANY 1st graders! :)

Here are some ideas:
The new 'Elephant and Piggie' series by Mo Willems - my 1st graders LOVE these!
Also the pigeon books by Mo Willems.

Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant - perhaps you have already tried these?

For nonfiction titles, I recommend books by Allan Fowler, such as 'How do you know it's summer?' or 'Life in a tide pool.' Those titles are both parts of series by him. I'm home now but if you need more info I can look it up at school!

Also, I highly recommend the Fly Guy series by Tedd Arnold. My boys LOVE this!

When I get back to school tomorrow I can take a look around and definitely come up with more if you need them! Let me know!

Good luck,
Tiff

message 10: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 8 comments Tiff reminded me of some nonfiction books our first graders loved to check out. They were the Smithsonian Oceanic Collection. He probably would need help reading these but the pictures are great.

message 11: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Alexandra Thanks Janine and Tiff! (as well as Deborah and Turtle!) The only book you listed that I've heard of is "Fly Guy", so your recommendations are a big help. I'll put these on my list to check out for my student. Not sure I'll get to all of these this year, but I plan on being in this program for years to come, so feel free to suggest others as you think of them. :)

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 7 comments Hi Janis,
I work with a third grade emerging reader as well and we've tried Fly Guy. Loved it!

We use the SPIRE program as part of our curriculum and they have some new readers that we started using last week (I got a sample pack only).

He's also really into reptiles so we do some of the leveled readers, National Geographic and Weekly Reader have some out now that are nice. I also use the Animal Antics sets sometimes - like the SPIRE readers they're not really story books, but they're not the super boring primers we had when I was a kid, or even a beginning teacher for that matter. They have also boosted his confidence and fluency which has given him more persistence with longer stories.

I saw yesterday a series, Pup Fiction which also looked interesting. Have you tried that one or anyone else used it?

message 13: by Amy (last edited Feb 08, 2008 07:05PM) (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 7 comments Janine,
Do you know if there's one about a Yellow Bus in the Bone series? I think my daughter read one of those yesterday. That did look great!

message 14: by Alexandra (last edited Feb 10, 2008 08:13AM) (new)

Alexandra Hi Ldtchr,

We've read Fly Guy, I agree, that's a good one. I'll have to check out the National Geographic and Weekly Reader. I've picked up the National Geographic for Kids mag a couple times and those are good, but more than my student could read independantly. Haven't heard of Pup Fiction, I'll have too check those out too. Thanks! I just read the first "Time Spies" book recently and I'm going to share that with him. I really liked it.

Janine, I read the first Commander Toad book with him a few weeks ago. That's really good, have the next one in my pile for him. I'll check out your other suggestions, thanks!

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 7 comments Some of my middle grade students have been enjoying Carol Marsh and I just found a set of books she has geared toward the 1st-3rd grade level - one set more for boys (Three Amigos)and one set more for girls (Criss Cross Applesauce). Her site, Gallopade International, also has a huge set of biographies that look like good reads that aren't dumbed down at all. You can check them out at http://www.gallopade.com/!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 7 comments Janis - I don't know Time Spies - I'll have to check them out!

Also, had an exciting moment with my little reader guy today - he has been working with practice in the level one reader for this reading program we use - sequential, etc.... - which he wasn't even ready for until just before Christmas. Today, I picked selections that highlighted the next skills and he ended up fluent enough to basically skip 40 pages (from only short a patterns/stories to all short vowels)! :)

message 17: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Congrats Ldtchr! It feels so good when they make progress, and you know you're really helping them. My student read a 2nd grade book yesterday (Pirate School) needing very little help, which is a big improvement. I may be able to start moving towards 3rd grade books soon. As he is in the 3rd grade that feels really good. He liked the first "Pirate School" book, and also the couple "Jigsaw Jones" books I've used with him.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy (ldtchr) | 7 comments Argh - I checked out Time Spies online and they look great! I ordered some and a whole bunch of other things since they looked good for both my readers at school and my daughter . . . . .

message 19: by Val (new)

Val (valz) Deborah I love your avatar!! so cute.
I'm going to check aggie and ben out of the library.

message 20: by Val (new)

Val (valz) Tiff, Elephant and Piggie, looks really good.

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahfreedman) Thanks Val! The avatar is from a picture that my daughter drew many moons ago (which I colored).

Hope you like AGGIE & BEN - if you do, there is a sequel due out next year.

message 22: by Lucianna (new)

Lucianna (lucianna77) | 6 comments Hi I am Lucy..I am a children's librarian from NY. I have found that for reluctant boy readers, you can't go wrong with bug books, both fiction and nonfiction. Also you should try Mo Willem's book "Don;t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus". I read that to my kids all the time and they still love it both girls and boys alike! Good luck!

message 23: by ☼Book her, (new)

☼Book her,   Danno☼  (pam_t) Both boys and girls were positively on the edge of their seats when I read "Snake Hair" to them.

It's attractive to both groups because the author talks about Medusa when she was beautiful. And the boys loved the adventure parts with Perseus. In addition the artwork is fabulous.