Stephen King Fans discussion

Just After Sunset
This topic is about Just After Sunset
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > Just After Sunset

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Becky | 8 comments Just after sunset was the second book that i read from King, Misery was the first (And i really loved it). Then I got Just After Sunset and was alittle confused, simply for the fact that i thougt at that time that short-stories where sort of for 'babies'.
I didnt think that writers that wrote for older audience did that sort of stuff.

I was really surprised though of how well it worked out and how easy and great it was to just have lots of small different stories, that were still actully ...scary...:)

The ones that I liked the most was 'Mute' and 'N'

What was your fav ones ?

Gatorman | 561 comments I think "Just After Sunset" is by far the weakest collection of stories King has ever put out. What a huge disappointment. Absolutely pales in comparison to "Night Shift" or "Skeleton Crew". Not his best effort.

Becky | 8 comments Really?
Huh i Must get then too books then ^^

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 198 comments Gatorman wrote: "I think "Just After Sunset" is by far the weakest collection of stories King has ever put out. What a huge disappointment. Absolutely pales in comparison to "Night Shift" or "Skeleton Crew". Not..."

I agree. I love short stories, and set up my hopes high because they came from the author who penned Nightmares & Dreamscapes and Night Shift. I was disappointed. The two I liked best were "Willa" and Stationary Bike".

Erica (bookpsycho) | 109 comments I liked Gingerbread Girl.
"Night Shift" is my favorite. The Boogeyman creeped me out!

Becky | 8 comments Erica wrote: "I liked Gingerbread Girl.
"Night Shift" is my favorite. The Boogeyman creeped me out!"

Oh i've never actully read that book

Erica (bookpsycho) | 109 comments You need to read it! A lot of good stories!

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I just read it a couple weeks ago for the second time, and I really liked it. I always like his short stories though :)
The ones I liked the best in JAS were probably Willa and The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates for their melancholy kind of feeling, and Harvey's Dream was good, I liked the slow, dreadful sort of build-up. Graduation Afternoon and Mute were good too... I liked 'em all for different reasons. A Very Tight Place made me cringe and make faces, but I still couldn't put it down, I had to see how it was going to end.

Monnie (monnie1976) | 8 comments I really enjoyed many of the stories in Just After Sunset. The Gingerbread Girl was awesome and suspenseful, A Very Tight Place was digustingly brilliant and I though The Things They Left Behind was oddly moving. Overall, I thought it was a good collection just not as horror oriented as his previous work. Night Shift is still the absolute best for me though.

message 10: by Ina (new)

Ina | 15 comments Never been a fan of short stories collection I tried Night Shift once many years ago and read all the stories but don't remember much of the stories now. Maybe I should try again sometime?

Gatorman | 561 comments Thought it was disappointing. Not up to the King standard, IMO.

Jaime (jaimehobbes) | 104 comments Not my favorite of King's short story collections, but still enjoyable. I think King is at his best with some of his short stories and novellas. Nightmares & Dreamscapes is still my favorite collection, and Four Past Midnight is up there, too. The Mist, The Langoliers, and Shawshank are some of his best work in this medium, IMO.

Milan (frozencthulhu) Agree with the general opinion in this thread, he's penned better short stories. By no means are those in JAS bad, though... just not as good. I found "N" and "Gingerbread Girl" the most gripping, while the rest just didn't do much for me. :P

Dustin I immensely enjoyed JAS. Particularly The Things They Left Behind, and A Very Tight Place!

Erica (bookpsycho) | 109 comments I need to read JAS again. The only stories I remember are Gingerbread Girl and N.

Dustin Well SK re-reads are ALWAYS good, IMO, Erica!

message 17: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2585 comments Mod
There is already a topic on this book so I am closing this thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.