What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. orphaned (overweight) girl who lives with mean aunt who secretly hides girl's money , small book with moral, similar to Deenie

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments I read this book along with Deenie when I was in middle school in the 1990's. It was very short, possibly 30 pages.

It's about a young girl whose mother (and father, I suppose) died when she was young and so lived with a really mean aunt. The girl was very nice, worked very hard to save up money because she thought she didn't have any. Little did she know that her aunt was hiding money she inherited. To keep up the charade, the aunt volunteered as a nurse and "worked" very long shifts in order to support her and the girl. The girl was overweight I think and very self-conscious. By the end of the book she lost a whole bunch of weight and she had a boyfriend and somehow she found out that she had a ton of money left from her mother plus everything she saved up.

I picture her in a hospital bed at the end but I really don't remember.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Unfortunately Diana hasn't been active since Dec 2010.

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments I haven't been active but I sure have been waiting for a response to this post! I thought maybe you had an answer for me!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Oh, excellent. Sad to say I don't, but maybe someone else will.

Given that this book was so short, was it a chapter book?

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments I believe it was a chapter book but I can't be sure since I read it such a long time ago.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I know of one book like this, but unfortunately it is NOT a juvenile. It's an adult romance. At the end of the book, we find out that the aunt is not only hiding money, but is completely batsh** crazy.

Wish I could help you Diana.

You might want to come in once a month and bump this up. (Just type Bump.) that way, people will be reminded of it and on the watch if they DO read/see something similar.

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "I know of one book like this, but unfortunately it is NOT a juvenile. It's an adult romance. At the end of the book, we find out that the aunt is not only hiding money, but is completely batsh** cr..."

Thanks for your response! What is the name of the book you are thinking about? Maybe I'll be lucky and it's the same one I'm referring to.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Causing Havoc is the name of the book that I was thinking of. It's book 1 in Lori Foster's SBC Fighters series.

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Causing Havoc is the name of the book that I was thinking of. It's book 1 in Lori Foster's SBC Fighters series."

Darn, definitely not the book. Thanks for your help!

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Diana, was the book possibly part of a short story collection?

A lot seems to happen in 30 pages; do you think maybe you read an abbreviated version of the story in a school textbook?

If not, did you checkout this book from the library, buy it at a store, or somewhere else?

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Tab wrote: "Diana, was the book possibly part of a short story collection?

A lot seems to happen in 30 pages; do you think maybe you read an abbreviated version of the story in a school textbook?

If not, d..."

I don't believe it was part of another book. I think I read it as an extra credit assignment for English class when I was in seventh grade. Thanks for the help.

message 12: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments I don't think these are it (well over 30 pages). But, maybe something in them may jog your memory
Suds
M.V. Sexton Speaking
The Quarter-Pie Window

Do you remember anything about the cover? Was it a contemporary setting or historical setting?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Diana, are you still looking for this?

message 14: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments I think this might be a bit of a long shot, but is it Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen?

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I sent Diana a PM. Now to wait on her return.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response. Moving to Abandoned.