Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Can We Listen to Christmas Music Yet?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Too early? Favorite Christmas songs? Worst Christmas songs?

message 2: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) it is hard to pick my favorites, but traditional - Silent Night and pop - Santa Baby. I also like Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments My favorites are the ones with tunes from the Renaissance or the Middle Ages - like "What Child Is This"... I love medieval and Renaissance music.

The worst is undoubtedly that one that Paul McCartney wrote, "Wonderful Christmas Time," or whatever it is. It sounds so lazy, like somebody told him, "Paul, we need a Christmas song in, say, about 10 minutes. Can you do it?" "Sure, I'll throw something together!" Not even a pretty tune!

message 5: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Kevin, that is awesome!

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have seen the trans-siberian orchestra and that is a terrific christmas show. we are big on christmas music and caroling and such. i just don't care for the crap pop stars who make shameless christmas CD's that just recycle the same songs (see mariah carey). harry connick does some pretty smooth christmas songs though

message 7: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Every year, on the day after freakin’ Halloween for Christ’s sake, our local FM easy-listening mothership abandons its usual playlist of mellowed mind balm like Kenny G, Bette Midler, Celine Dion, James Taylor, etc. in favor of around-the-clock holiday music. My wife is all over it like white on rice.

By the second or third day, I’m reduced to drinking glasses of beer with shots of whiskey on the side just to make it all go away, hoping against hope that someone with some taste, balls, an inoperable brain tumor, and several assault weapons will storm the radio station’s gates with a bloodcurdling howl and take over the mic until the SWAT teams and negotiators arrive.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I know for a fact that a certain librarian has not just attended Trans-Siberian Orchestra but has head-banged at a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtIOup...

and here is clark at the radio station....

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I guess ant time after Thanksgiving is time for Christamas music, just start when ever you are in the mood.

message 11: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Clark wrote: "Every year, on the day after freakin’ Halloween for Christ’s sake, our local FM easy-listening mothership abandons its usual playlist of mellowed mind balm like Kenny G, Bette Midler, Celine Dion, James Taylor, etc. in favor of around-the-clock holiday music. My wife is all over it like white on rice.

By the second or third day, I’m reduced to drinking glasses of beer with shots of whiskey on the side just to make it all go away, hoping against hope that someone with some taste, balls, an inoperable brain tumor, and several assault weapons will storm the radio station’s gates with a bloodcurdling howl and take over the mic until the SWAT teams and negotiators arrive."

Clark, I take it this is on your bucket list? ;)

My most loved:

"I Can't Wait for Christmas" Mindi Abair
"Merry Christmas, Alabama" Jimmy Buffet
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" Mannheim Steamroller

My most hated:

"The Christmas Shoes"
"Little Drummer Boy"
"Feliz Navidad"

message 12: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I love Cartman's version of "O Holy Night"

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
RandomAnthony wrote: "I know for a fact that a certain librarian has not just attended Trans-Siberian Orchestra but has head-banged at a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show."

::snicker::

message 14: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Jammies wrote: "Clark wrote: "Every year, on the day after freakin’ Halloween for Christ’s sake, our local FM easy-listening mothership abandons its usual playlist of mellowed mind balm like Kenny G, Bette Midler,..."

I don't much care for "Little Drummer Boy" either, even Joan Jett's version.

message 15: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Favorites:

message 16: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Clark wrote: "Jammies wrote: "Clark wrote: "Every year, on the day after freakin’ Halloween for Christ’s sake, our local FM easy-listening mothership abandons its usual playlist of mellowed mind balm like Kenny ..."

*notices Clark's silence on the subject of mayhem and bucket lists*

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't particularly want to listen to Christmas music, but you can if you want.

If I have to, I actually do like the little drummer boy.

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

I like it, mostly because of a certain piano recital performance of it that I rocked in 1987.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm head banging to "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" right now, thanks to Kevin. :)

I started playing Christmas music last weekend. Had to, Mom was putting up her Christmas tree!

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I like Dwight Yoakam singing "Santa Can't Stay."

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
I don't want to hear Christmas music piped through store speakers, ever. In private, or at outdoor Christmas festivals, I think it's appropriate to start listening a week before.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

then there is always Christmas radio at pandora.com. i've started my like/dislike there.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

I don't think anything is very good once it has been piped in from anywhere.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "I don't think anything is very good once it has been piped in from anywhere."

Even water?

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

I prefer laying on my belly near a stream and lapping it up. Of course then my hair gets all wet.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sally wrote: "I prefer laying on my belly near a stream and lapping it up. Of course then my hair gets all wet."

I think I've seen you! :-)

message 27: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Don't you think it's ironic that you have a heavy rock station cranking out "Joy to the World" at Christmas time? The local radio stations go a little wonky the time of year. Thank goodness for satellite!

I like the Christmas music CD's put out by Loreena McKinnett and Enya, mainly because they don't sound like Christmas music, yet epitomize the season.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Jaye wrote: "then there is always Christmas radio at pandora.com. i've started my like/dislike there."

We were using pandora in the car tonight by plugging my husband's iphone into the stereo system. I was loving the Christmas instrumentals.

message 29: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i can listen to christmas music in the summer, when it's music i like.

message 30: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Nov 30, 2010 05:26AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments If I hear John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" just one more time, I may take a hostage or two.

"Merry Christmas, John. Merry Christmas, Yoko." Gimme a break...

message 31: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments my christmas playlist currently has 8 songs on it.

message 32: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Clark wrote: "If I hear John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" just one more time, I may take a hostage or two."

This is a reasonable response.

I admit to very much liking George Winston's December album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JYrOM...

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Elvis Christmas. Bing Crosby Christmas. Pandora has a few Christmas stations.

message 34: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments The one I don't want to hear anymore is the one that says,

"Last Christmas I gave you my heart, the very next day you gave it away..."

Horrible, horrible song.

message 35: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Phil wrote: "The one I don't want to hear anymore is the one that says,

"Last Christmas I gave you my heart, the very next day you gave it away..."

Horrible, horrible song."

And depressing as hell.

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Is that a Wham song or George Michaels?

message 37: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Wham. I had to look it up.

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments ::hangs head in shame for actually recognizing it::

message 39: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I listen to XM radio in the car. There are several channels playing holiday music. WOO-HOO! :)

message 40: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments

To anyone unwilling to take the brown acid or drink the purple Kool-Aid, I'd recommend this one, Dee Snider still suffering from rock-singer-as-gang-leader syndrome but lucid enough to spell “irony,” “gimmick,” AND “humor.”

Although there are many who will try to convince you fusing the DNA of “We’re Not Gonna Take It” to that of “Oh Come All Ye Faithful” is sacreligious, it’s all harmless fun, packed with more than enough wattage to take the hair off your scalp.

Perhaps Snider's finest moment, besides standing up to those hopeless PMRC no-lifers back in the 80’s that is.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments

They're Canadian, they have good harmonies, and they're funny. I especially like "Carol of the Bells" and think "Deck the Stills" is funny, but RandomAnthony probably wouldn't. :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes, Barb! "Elf's Lament" is on there.

message 43: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments The music group or the species?

message 44: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I like my christmas music sung by children who carol around the neighborhood or in church, the children's choir. commercial christmas songs are bearable about 2 days before christmas and never after it. Except for the music for "the nutcracker" which I can listen to at least twice a year.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Clark wrote: "If I hear John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" just one more time, I may take a hostage or two."

This is a reasonable response.

I admit to very much liking George Winston..."

i enjoyed the utube song. the winter landscapes are lovely, and i wonder what kind of bird is that little white round one (at 2:10), i've never seen one like that before.
thanks for the link !

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm listening to Jingle Bell Rock right now and loving it.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

It's still too early for Christmas music, ask me in a week or two.

message 49: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I'm with you on that one Gail. Mid-December seems about right.

message 50: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I'm quite partial to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=902wZ9...

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.