The Extra Cool Group! (of people Michael is experimenting on) discussion

Off-Topic, but Goodreads-related > Michael the EBEL OBERLORD made me do it!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scribble (last edited Nov 29, 2010 02:21AM) (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 123 comments Apart from all the other reasons that people friend people, which is being discussed elsewhere, do you friend people because their comments on reviews and in groups are what really hook you (go on, don't deny it), and not necessarily just their amazing reviews?

(he-he, I know I do).

message 2: by Aloha (last edited Nov 29, 2010 02:26AM) (new)

Aloha I friend people for both reasons, because I like what they said in groups and because I like their reviews. A person doesn't even have to write a single review for me to want to friend him/her.

message 3: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 133 comments Mostly for their reviews. I don't follow people closely enough in groups, and usually if they reply to something in a group that I'm not a member of, and it shows up on my front wall of statuses, then that annoys me. Because I have no context for their comment in the group, so it affects me none. Generally I wish comments on groups were by default not posted on people's update feed. I just care about reviews, when it comes to friends.

message 4: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat I've only sent one friend request based soley on reviews. I'm here for the groups foremost, and I like to see my friends' reviews. If I'm looking at a specific book, I'll usually check out the three or four longest reviews. But without knowing anything about the reviewer, it's hard to know if their reaction is relevant to me.

message 5: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 133 comments Brainycat, that's interesting since that's the exact opposite of my strategy haha! I usually read a fair amount of the reviews from a certain book that I'm interested in. And if I come across an especially insightful review, I will click on that user and then I will click "Compare Books", which lists all the books we have in common. If it looks like we have similar overlapping taste, then I will go one step further and read some of his other reviews to see if they are similarly insightful. If so, I will then usually "follow", and sometimes "friend" depending on how friendly I feel that day. I usually ignore the group participation of the member when making decision to friend or not.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I friend for both reasons too. If my groupies don't write reviews, they get removed from top friends. Though lots of group comments in my update feed annoy me, I've occasionally found interesting groups that way.

message 7: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 199 comments i don't friend people based on reviews. I have enough reviews to read what with greg and his book reports, I friend people if they entertain me

message 8: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Based on my experience, I get more rewards out of friending people who entertain me. That moves into the personal correspondence and friendship, which keeps me happy. They even send me scarves and books.

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 199 comments YAY!

Yeah I've sent books to people from on here, but it is just part of my evil plan to get their addresses so I can then stalk them, that's why I only give books to attractive men.

message 10: by Michael, Sonic the Hegemon (new)

Michael | 183 comments Mod
HEY, you've never offered ME a book! WTF?

message 11: by Jasmine (last edited Nov 29, 2010 09:31AM) (new)

Jasmine | 199 comments it's creepy to stalk married guys.

do you want a book? I've really only sent joel books, I considered sending one to josh because I needed one to sell because karen was going to have to send them back, but he probably wouldn't have like it anyway, and he doesn't know anything about it.

I also gave karen a book which I think caris has now.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Brown (Toastx2) (toastx2) | 120 comments i have a box of books i would be glad to share out..

message 13: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) My tastes are all over the place. There are loads of books that I like or want to like which no one on my friends list have added. I often find new people on those book pages.

message 14: by Aleksandr (new)

Aleksandr Voinov (vashtan) I friend everybody whose face/comments I like. There are a couple people I'm not friending:

- authors that send me PMs that consist of "I'M AWESOME, BUY MY BOOK" (like, three of them - at some polint I got tired of responding: "I'M AWESOME TOO, BUY MY BOOK FIRST!").

- another guy called me an asshole/bigot in a discussion group and two days later asks to friend me. Errr, no. "Asshole/bigot" is not something I need to hear from a "friend"

Otherwise - anything goes.

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Aleksandr wrote: "another guy called me an asshole/bigot in a discussion group and two days later asks to friend me. Errr, no. "Asshole/bigot" is not something I need to hear from a "friend"..."

How rude...maybe it was his way of apologizing?

message 16: by Michael, Sonic the Hegemon (new)

Michael | 183 comments Mod
do you want a book? I've really only sent joel books,

Well, not if you're not even going to bother stalking me. Actually, if I see you're reading something I absolutely must read, I'll let you know. I've probably got enough reading for December in a box that Brian just sent me. Brian the Parrot, not the other Brian.

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 199 comments yeah no problem. I mean there is stuff I won't give away (I stopped loaning milan kundera after the third time I rebought one of his books) but as a rule most things I don't mind giving away.

If it is really important that I stalk you I might be able to fit you into my busy schedule.

message 18: by Angel (new)

Angel Martinez (angelmartinez) | 45 comments Aleksandr wrote: "- authors that send me PMs that consist of "I'M AWESOME, BUY MY BOOK" (like, three of them - at some polint I got tired of responding: "I'M AWESOME TOO, BUY MY BOOK FIRST!")."

LQTM - "promo" and "friend", although not mutually exclusive certainly don't have a large subset intersection. I love the ones from authors who obviously know not a damn thing about what I'm likely to read.

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 41 comments Sure, often the comments are more interesting than the review. I have to admit I sometimes also friend someone 'cause they have an interesting avatar.

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments Kernos wrote: I have to admit I sometimes also friend someone 'cause they have an interesting avatar."

I did that in my early days on gr!

message 21: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 123 comments "I did that in my early days on gr!"

What a relief! For a minute there you had me worried!

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 231 comments It's as good as any other reason, it seems to me.

In my early days when I was a gr-novice, I went about gaining friends and accepting pretty much any friend request that came my way.

Now I am more discerning. ;-)
Which I was why I did a background check on your first, GN...

;-)