The History Book Club discussion

ARCHIVE > BENTLEY'S 100 MOVIES WATCHED IN 2011/2012/2013/2014/2015/2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 164 (164 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 29, 2010 05:56AM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
This is a thread to track movies/documentaries/old tv shows watched during the year and to discuss and rate them.

END OF 2010

1. The Sound of Music
The Sound of Music by Oscar Hammerstein II Oscar Hammerstein II

Rating: A
Saw it once again in November 2010

Gee, this is still a great movie. Loved Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, the music, etc.

Synopsis from IMDB:

The widowed, retired Austrian naval officer, Captain Von Trapp (Christopher Plummer) has made his Austrian home one of overly restrictive and harshly enforced discipline, one that, most unintentionally, causes his seven children to be underfed when it comes to joy and love. Being a nun living in a convent is similarly restrictive and unfulfilling for Maria (Julie Andrews), who breaks rules to try to change it. The reverend mother (Peggy Wood) decides that Maria, who is not cutting it as a nun, should leave and take on a job as governess at the nearby Von Trapp household in Salzburg.

Through music and various outings, Maria gives the children a taste of a more fulfilling, joyous, life than they have ever known, and they come to love her very dearly. The Captain grows closer to his children, too, coming to understand the value and beauty of the freedoms that Maria has given them. Ironically, the freedom of all Austrians to live their lives to the fullest is in danger, for it is 1938, and Germany is marching into Austria. The Captain is a patriot, passionate about the fulfilling life that Austria has always offered its citizens.

In his personal life, the Captain is having a romance with a wealthy, cultivated, and lovely Baroness (Eleanor Parker), but he is becoming more and more captivated by Maria, and is falling in love with her, and she, too, feels growing affection for him. She is a nun, however, and unschooled in dealing with the situaiton. Frightened by the developments, Maria runs back to the convent, where the reverend mother convinces her that she must face, rather than run from, the situation, causing Maria to return to the Captain's home. It seems, though, that she is too late, learning that the Captain and the Baroness have become engaged.

The Captain, who had surely concluded that he could never have Maria for a wife, confides to the Baroness that he loves Maria, but the Baroness admits she had sensed it long ago, and the engagement is called off. The Captain and Maria marry, but an ugly situation befronts them upon return from their honeymoon -- the Captain has been summoned, in a telegram, by the Third Reich to serve in its navy.

Due to the Captain 's unwillingness to serve the Third Reich, the Captain and Maria resolve to leave Austria, and, after escaping the pursuit of some Nazi officers, they set out, with the children, for the mountains of Switzerland on foot.

It starred Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer (very young versions).

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

2. Michael Palin's Sahara
Sahara by Michael Palin Michael Palin Michael Palin
Rating: B+

Finished: Saw this once again in November of 2010

Good travel commentary and documentary on crossing the Sahara and preparation for such a journey.

This is available on Netflix.

The Sahara. The size of the United States with a population the size of Norfolk. And with extreme temperatures and camel poisoning thrown in, Michael always had his work cut out for him.

Some Fun Facts:

Dates: February 2001 - February 2002

Number of days: 99

Countries visited: 10 + 1 disputed territory

Distance travelled: 10,000 miles

Illnesses contracted: Camel poisoning, Pele-esque Injury, Near Shooting

This website is a nice accompaniment.

http://palinstravels.co.uk/static-128

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 08, 2011 09:17PM) (new)

3. The Witches of Eastwick

Rating C+

Finished: January 6, 2011

This is available on Netflix. This has a good cast: Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfeiffer, Cher, Susan Sarandon, etc. Though humorous in parts, a little lackluster in others and silly.

Here is the book that the movie was adapted from:

The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike John Updike John Updike

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 16, 2011 06:44PM) (new)

4. Secretariat

Secretariat The Making of a Champion by William Nack by William Nack

Finished: January 2011

Loved this film.

Penny Chenery Tweedy and colleagues guide her long-shot but precocious stallion to set, in 1973, the unbeaten record for winning the Triple Crown.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 16, 2011 06:57PM) (new)

5. Temple Grandin

Rating: A-

Watched this on Netflix.

Temple Grandin stays true to herself on Globe red carpet

http://content.usatoday.com/communiti...

In fact, watching the Golden Globes while posting this and the real Temple Grandin was present at the awards. She was so thrilled when the actress who played her won.

Temple Grandin (born August 29, 1947) is an American doctor of animal science and professor at Colorado State University, bestselling author, and consultant to the livestock industry on animal behavior. As a person with high-functioning autism, Grandin is also widely noted for her work in autism advocacy and is the inventor of the hug machine designed to calm hypersensitive persons.
Grandin is listed in the 2010 Time 100 list of the 100 most influential people in the world in the category “Heroes”.

This was an excellent film.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

6. Toy Story 3

Watched this on iTunes:

A wonderful animated film.

The toys are mistakenly delivered to a day-care center instead of the attic right before Andy leaves for college, and it's up to Woody to convince the other toys that they weren't abandoned and to return home.

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 20, 2011 07:35AM) (new)

7. Radio

Finished January 2011

Watched this on Netflix.

B+ - a feel good movie based upon real people and a true story -starring Ed Harris and Cuba Gooding.

Synopsis:

For anyone who ever had a dream and everyone with the courage to stand up for what they believe, comes the real life story of Robert "Radio" Kennedy. Experience Radio's journey from a man no one understands to the coach no one could live without. Together with Head Coach Harold Jones, Radio inspired a football team to become champions and a town to open their hearts. Heroic performances from Academy Award Winner Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Academy Award Nominee Ed Harris will have you laughing, crying and cheering for the man who proved, the world's greatest victories happen in real life.

"A definite must for the entire family!" - Bonnie Laufer, TRIBUTE TV

"A triumph." - Earl Dittmann, WIRELESS MAGAZINE

The movie "Radio," starring Cuba Gooding, Jr., and Ed Harris, is based on a true story about a mentally challenged young man who inspires his hometown's football team to a championship.

message 8: by Garret (new)

Garret (ggannuch) Bentley wrote: "4. Secretariat

Secretariat The Making of a Champion by William Nack by William Nack

Loved this film.

Penny Chenery Tweedy and colleagues g..."

Bently, I liked this movie a lot too. I saw it over the Holidays with my family. Everyone enjoyed it.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

It was very good I thought and glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

8. The Marines

Finish Date: February 2, 2011
Rating: B+/A- (for the type of production it was)

2006NR 85 minutes

Review:

This PBS documentary salutes the United States Marine Corps by examining what it takes to become a Marine and what it truly means to be one, outlining the rigorous training process that each recruit must endure to become a commissioned officer. Originally formed in 1775 as a naval infantry to guard the fledgling United States of America, the Corps has since evolved into a highly respected elite branch of the military.

Genres: Documentary, Military Documentaries, PBS Documentaries
This movie is: Inspiring
Format: DVD and streaming

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Feb 03, 2011 04:11AM) (new)

9. National Geographic: Surviving West Point
Finish Date: February 3, 2011
Rating: B-/B

Review:

The Marine one seemed to be more intense, also more well known narrators presenting their perspective. However, National Geographic just presents the facts without any embellishments so some folks would prefer this rendition. Still an inside look at anybody contemplating attending the Cadet Training Program at West Point and/or getting a better look at the campus and facilities. Since September 11th, the campus has been virtually off limits. This is available on netflix. Some episodes you can stream; and others you need to get the discs.

2002TV-PG (Various episodes available)

Official Synopsis:

The Cadet Training Program at West Point Military Academy has turned many young men and women into disciplined soldiers who stand ready to do America's bidding when the call is given.

Stand front and center before a group of young cadets who give their all to survive at the illustrious academy.

Incredible footage from inside West Point's hallowed halls makes this fascinating viewing for anyone interested in the military.

Cast: Stephan Cox

Genres: Documentary, Military Documentaries, TV Documentaries

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Radio was awesome. We need more feel good films like that.

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Very true Laura.

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Feb 14, 2011 01:51PM) (new)

10. National Geographic: Inside American Power: The Pentagon

On Netflix: Does discuss and show groups in the Pentagon doing intelligence gathering - big focus on 9/11 aftermath; some parts promotional advertising for sure; but other parts worthwhile.

Finish Date: February 5, 2011
Rating: C+/B-

Netflix Summary:

The Pentagon is the military nerve center of the United States, reaching out to far-flung battlefields with information, technology and a culture that permeates more of America and the world than many realize. This film depicts the Pentagon's 58-year history, taking viewers into the restricted inner workings of the Pentagon, and includes coverage of the response following the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001.

Director: Nancy LeBrun

Genres: Documentary, Military Documentaries, Political Documentaries, TV Documentaries, Warner Home Video

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

11. The King's Speech by Mark Logue

The King's Speech

Finish Date: February 13. 2011

Rating: A+

Summary:

Loved the movie; cannot say enough about it. Colin Firth as King was outstanding as was his speech therapist (Rush).

message 16: by John (new)

John E | 105 comments I really agree on The King's Speech !! As one who lived with stuttering/stammering it really hit home. In high school I avoided all classes where I had to speak and my study of foreign languages was a total disaster -- if English was impossible just imagine how difficult pronouncing French or German was. Teachers were not understanding.

message 17: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

John, I sympathize greatly; since I too had a stammer/slight stutter when I was about 4 or 5 which I luckily outgrew. Many are not so fortunate; and I am sorry for what you had to go through. You are right; many are like Bertie's father who thought that willing him to speak correctly would make it happen; unfortunately it made the stress that much worse. I cannot imagine what you went through with a foreign language - very brave of you.

The movie was really fantastic and it flew. No dull spots whatsoever.

message 18: by Harry (new)

Harry (harryj) | 81 comments Bentley wrote: "11. The King's Speech by Mark Logue

The King's Speech

Finish Date: February 13. 2011

Rating: A+

Summary:

Loved the movie; cannot say enough about it. Colin Firth as King was outstanding..."

Just saw "The King's Speech" it was quite good from begining to end, excellent.

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I am glad you liked it Harry; I enjoyed it tremendously as well. Nice to see films like that; not that many around these days.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hi Bentley - I don't have my own thread for movies, but I thought I would mention this one to you. I love a good, uplifting film, and this one was a real winner for me:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046947/

Last Chance Harvey w/Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. My husband & I watched it Valentine's Day evening and it was wonderful. I hope you will get a chance to see it.

message 21: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Laura; I will look for it.

message 22: by Laura (last edited Feb 22, 2011 06:57AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Our local library had it, so maybe yours does too! I hope you enjoy it. If you have a daughter, you might appreciate it even more.

message 23: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 30, 2011 07:21PM) (new)

Battle: Los Angeles

Finish Date: March 18, 2011

Rating: C+

Summary: Focus on a group of marines saving Los Angeles from a group of invading aliens. It was OK. Some may love this film if they want a lot of action and like sci fi.

message 24: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Barney's Version

Finish Date: March 17, 2011

Rating: B

Summary: Well Acted; funny in parts;but with a sad ending.

Review by AM New York:

Barney’s Version,” based on the novel by Mordecai Richler, starts off in Italy among a clique of young bohemians and ends on a serene lake in Canada, where one of the bohemians, Barney Panofsky, is living out his final years.

The movie makes us privy to the movements and measures of Barney’s life, and though there’s a glib quality to the passage of time, the sincerity of emotion packed into each scene is more than enough to make up for technical distractions.

Barney, played by Paul Giamatti at the top of his game, is no conventional hero. He flees his own wedding reception to woo another woman, he drinks a lot and he makes threatening phone calls to his ex-wife’s new husband. It may be hard to believe on paper, but he’s guided through it all by an unflagging sense of decency and a mission to hold onto true love. So when he spies Miriam (Rosamund Pike), the fact that he’s married becomes a mere technicality.

It’s difficult to pace a movie that spans an adult lifetime, and “Barney’s Version” sometimes feels too broad. The power of the film, though, lies in its details, whether it’s Dustin Hoffman’s terrific Fockers-redeeming performance as Barney’s father or the seductive way that Pike delivers each and every one of her lines.

message 25: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Unknown

Finish Date: March 16, 2011

Summary: Vintage Neesom

Richard Roeper gave the film a B+, reflecting "At times, Unknown stretches plausibility to the near breaking point, but it's so well paced and the performances are so strong and most of the questions are ultimately answered. This is a very solid thriller."

A man awakens from a coma, only to discover that someone has taken on his identity and that no one, (not even his wife), believes him. With the help of a young woman, he sets out to prove who he is.

message 26: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 27, 2012 06:54AM) (new)

15. Brothers In Arms

Finish Date: March 30, 2011

Rating: * * *

Movie Synopsis: In 1969, six men met on a swift boat on the Mekong Delta during some of the worst fighting of the Vietnam War. Five of the men were crewmates; their commander was a young Yale graduate named John Kerry. Together, they endured the horrors of Vietnam and would remain friends for the next 35 years. Through interviews, photographs and archival footage, this powerful and emotional film relates their experiences both in Vietnam and after the war.

My 2 cents: It is too bad when the other side was trying to smear Kerry that this film had not come out. I am not sure why Peck who was wounded at the time decided years later to do what he did; but I think it was "sour grapes" and jealousy. I actually was quite moved by what happened to these men after the Vietnam War. There was some great footage in the film - no matter what you believed before or after seeing this documentary. You had to feel for what this generation went through during this war and the scars left on these men and their lives. Very moving. This is a serious film where Kerry's crew members do much of the talking and their sincerity and the pain they suffered shows through.

message 27: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 19, 2011 08:41PM) (new)

16. Marines

Finish Date: March 30, 2011

Rating: F (Pathetic)

Mark Roper directs this action-adventure film about a group of elite United States Marines who embark on a dangerous mission to a remote mountain region of Russia to rescue soldiers being held captive by a terrorist named Antonov (Hristo Shopov). There, Col. Anslow (George Roberson) and his troops join forces with Russian mercenaries to take down Antonov, who's considered one of the most powerful rogue minds in the world.

My Review: Pathetic; worse than an F rating (on Netflix)

message 28: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 27, 2012 06:54AM) (new)

17. Serious Moonlight

Finish Date: April 19, 2011

Movie" Synopsis

Successful attorney Meg Ryan, learning that husband Timothy Hutton plans to end their 13-year marriage and run off with girlfriend Kristen Bell, does what any level-headed spouse would do: She ties him up and holds him captive in their house so she can convince him to stay. Ryan's plan is endangered when Bell arrives, and gardener/burglar Justin Long takes everyone hostage. Darkly funny tale, from a script by "Waitress" creator Adrienne Shelley, was directed by Cheryl Hines ("Curb Your Enthusiasm").

My Review: Good psychological study of the close proximity of love and hate.

message 29: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 19, 2011 08:50PM) (new)

18. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part One

Finish date: April 17, 2011

Movie Synopsis:

The two-part finale of the "Harry Potter" film series begins as Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Hermione (Emma Watson), and Ron (Rupert Grint) steel themselves for a final battle with the evil Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes), who has seized control of Hogwarts. Leaving their beloved school, the three young wizards vow to destroy the remaining dark objects securing their enemy's immortality. With Alan Rickman, Bonnie Wright, and Helena Bonham Carter

My Review: Love the Potter series and this one was no exception.

message 30: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments I saw a crappy version of it on my dad's computer. I was confused by it. So I'll have to buy it myself. and the part 2 comes out the night before my birthday so i am super excited. 20 years old and still Love Harry. He's ma celeb crush.

message 31: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

It is quite a bit darker than the others but then again Voldemort is getting stronger.

message 32: by Krystal (last edited May 25, 2011 07:25PM) (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments IDC how dark it is they just left it at an awkward part in my opinion like i said i was confused. and can't wait to see it.

message 33: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Yes, but then you just want to see the last part even more. I am going to have to watch all of them once again from the top so that I am ready for the last one.

message 34: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments in honour of that what i am going to do is I am going to read all of The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)  by Michael Scott series first then put HP 1-4 on hold since I own 5-7(5-7 were gifts)

message 35: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

That looks good but remember to add the author and author's photo if available.

The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott Michael Scott Michael Scott

Enjoy.

message 36: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments right sorry about the sloppiness it's late here. I have over 40 books on a summer reading list. from history to fantasy it's going to be a busy summer if i get a job.

message 37: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Well I hope you find something soon and bring a book to work.

message 38: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments ha i wish i could problem is it's with kids. its as a camp counselor at my college IF i get the job. So i have a long bus ride and a half hour lunch break. and weekends off. good enough to get some serious reading done.

message 39: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

19. Watching the The Tudors on Netflix. This is pretty good

The Tudors 2007-2010 TV-MA Seasons 1-4

The Tudors by Elizabeth Massie Elizabeth Massie Elizabeth Massie

All the splendor, romance, intrigue and scandal of England's 16th-century royal court come dramatically to life in this lushly adorned series that follows the reign of notorious Tudor monarch Henry VIII (Jonathan Rhys Meyers). Whether it's steering the fate of his country or bedding his most recent mistress, the charismatic king often lets his passions rule, making for one of the most tumultuous periods in the history of the throne.

Season I - Episode 1

In Cold Blood

Eager for conquest and glory, Henry is itching to go to war with France; but instead is advised by Cardinal Wolsey to follow a course
of peace.

Finish: May 2011

message 40: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jun 04, 2011 05:10AM) (new)

20. The Tudors (continued)

Finish Date: May 2011
Rating B+

Season I - Episode 2

Simply Henry

Movie Synopsis:

Although he's pledged his loyalty to France, Henry considers -- to the strenuous objections of Wolsey -- the advantages of allying himself with King Charles V of Spain, who's been appointed Holy Roman Emperor.

message 41: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jun 13, 2011 05:28PM) (new)

I have now watched all of Season One and Season Two on Netflix and have this to say concerning The Tudors: entertaining, some factual credibility but very loose with the facts and history; if you are offended by nudity or you are considering sitting down with your family - don't; also there are some sexual nuances that would be better left off the screen; obviously this was created for ratings and entertainment. It entertains; but is not historically accurate in many places. Still I liked it for what it was. But it seems bent on exploitation and displaying very explicit scenes which leave nothing to your imagination and frankly I think things would be better if we went back to some old fashioned modesty. So be forewarned. Good taste is missing from many of the scenes.

message 42: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 17, 2015 06:32AM) (new)

21. Falling for Grace
Finish date: June 2011
Rating: For its quirkiness B

Movie Write-up:

Falling for Grace(East Broadway)
2006 PG-13 105 minutes
When she's mistaken for a wealthy Chinese heiress at a posh New York party, ambitious Wall Street banker Grace Tang (director Fay Ann Lee) indulges her fantasy of moving among society's elite and soon falls for handsome lawyer Andrew Barrington Jr. (Gale Harold). But how long can she keep up her charade before it collapses under its own weight? This charming comedy also features Ken Leung and Margaret Cho.

My Review:

I enjoyed Grace's parents the best; their dialogue in Chinese was very funny. It was translated for the viewer of course.

message 43: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

22. Life as We Know It
Finish Date: May 2011

Review:

This is a lightweight comedy; one of those mindless comedies you watch like a sitcom. Guy needs to grow up; best friends die; and life as he and she knows it changes "instantly and overnight".

Cute with likeable actors.

Movie Synopsis:

Two single adults become caregivers to an orphaned girl when their mutual best friends die in an accident.

Director: Greg Berlanti
Writers: Ian Deitchman, Kristin Rusk Robinson
Stars: Katherine Heigl, Josh Duhamel and Josh Lucas

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate (milakate) Bentley wrote: "5. Temple Grandin

Rating: A-

Watched this on Netflix.

Temple Grandin stays true to herself on Globe red carpet

http://content.usatoday.com/communiti......"

I also saw this movie and was quite delighted by it. I am curious as to how Toy Story 3 (which I didn't quite enjoy) managed to win out over Temple Grandin... Willing to offer any insight?

message 45: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

My take and this is just MHO: Toy Story 3 had a broader national appeal in terms of families, etc. It also had a well known cast backing up the animated characters which might have been a draw too. The story line was well done and it was a feel good story for the younger set.

Temple Grandin was a spectacular film and it made you think. Oddly enough and maybe this speaks a bit about our population; maybe it was too much of a cerebral film to catch on as much as Toy Story 3 did. Plus remember there were two other Toy Story films which meant it already had a following.

message 46: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

23. Venice: Queen of the Adriatic

Finish Date: June 2011
Rating: C-

My Notes:

A fair and dated representation of Venice. Part of the Museum City Series.

message 47: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

24. Russia: A Journey With Jonathan Dimbleby (DVD)

Finish Date: June 2001
Rating: A (Excellent and very comprehensive view of Russia)

Review: Highly recommended if you want to get a feel of Russia and its vastness

In this landmark five-part series, he explores the extraordinary changes that are taking place in Russia today and reveals the contours left by history on this vast land. From the Arctic Circle, where the summer sun never sets, to the breathtaking cities of Vladivostok and St Petersburg, from white witches to hirsute masseurs, from oil wells to shamans, Dimbleby’s journey by boat, train, truck and foot is heart-warming, entertaining and compelling.

This is television’s first comprehensive look at a country shrouded in myth. Look through one window and you see an authoritarian regime trying to modernise itself into an oil-rich economy. Look through another and you see exuberant people enjoying new opportunities, struggling with old problems. Everywhere, the marker stones of their turbulent past.

Uncover an enormous and diverse country in transition in this beautiful and exhilarating series. Russia - A Journey with Jonathan Dimbleby is available on DVD.

message 48: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

25. La Bouche

Rating: B+ (I kind of liked it)

La Buche(The Yule Log / Season's Beatings)
1999 NR 103 minutes

In this lightweight French comedy from screenwriter-turned-director Daniele Thompson, three daughters, Sonia (Emmanuelle Béart), Louba (Sabine Azéma) and Milla (Charlotte Gainsbourg), scheme to reunite their parents, who divorced 25 years ago and haven't spoken to each other since.

It's a Christmas dinner that will give every person from a dysfunctional family a nod of acknowledgement and many laughs.

Cast:Sabine Azéma, Emmanuelle Béart, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Claude Rich, Françoise Fabian, Christopher Thompson, Jean-Pierre Darroussin, Isabelle Carré Director:Daniele Thompson Genres:Comedies, Foreign Movies, Foreign Comedies, French Movies Language:FrenchThis movie is:Witty Availability:Streaming and DVD

My Review: Off beat French comedy with subtitles about a dysfunctional family at Christmas. Very French but entertaining in an odd sort of way. Good acting, I felt. Viewed on Netflix.

message 49: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 04, 2016 05:22PM) (new)

26. PBS Home Video - Episode One - Gumbo - Jazz - A Film by Ken Burns

2000/Color and Black and White/Approximately 90 minutes

Rating: A+ (Exceptionally well done)

Review: New York Times

Review Summary

In a similar fashion to his other documentaries, Ken Burns uses historical fact and personal accounts to illuminate the story of jazz and how it coincided with the maturation of America. Jazz roots itself in New Orleans for its first installment, Gumbo. One of the 19th century's most progressive cities, the "wide open" town was filled with gambling, prostitution, crime -- and music. Burns shows how African-American musicians combined Caribbean rhythms, opera, minstrel shows, and (most importantly) marching bands with ragtime and the blues to produce a music that would soon be called "jass," and later "jazz." The viewer is introduced to such legendary innovators of the music as Buddy Bolden -- the trumpet player who, although never recorded, is mythically touted as the first true jazz musician -- and pianist Jelly Roll Morton, who flamboyantly claimed to have invented jazz (he was the first to notate the music on paper). It is also made apparent how race played a large factor in the development of the music. In 1917, a group of white musicians calling themselves the Original Dixieland Jazz Band recorded the first jazz record and quickly became a huge success -- at once polarizing black musicians and ringing in the "Jazz Age." ~ Rovi

Episode 1 "Gumbo" (Beginnings to 1917)

"Gumbo" traces the roots of jazz from the 1800s to 1917. The viewer will catch glimpses of Jelly Roll Morton, who erroneously claimed to have invented jazz, and the tragic, though influential, figure of trumpeter Buddy Bolden.

message 50: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jan 17, 2015 06:33AM) (new)

27. Just Go with It

Review: Stupid comedy, plastic surgeon works with assistant, meets much younger girl, enlists help from assistant to win girl, realizes he is in love with the person who was right under his nose. Jennifer Anniston and Adam Sandler team up in a so so comedy; but one that passes the time reasonably well.

« previous 1 3 4