Akins AP Lang and Comp - Hollis 4 discussion

The Great Gatsby-Second Response

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Johan (new)

Johan Gonzalez | 16 comments I was thinking about the comment that Nick says about him being one of the few honest people he has ever known and the fact that he is the narrator of the story. Which made me wonder, do Nick's qualities change how we perceive the story? or like Hollis was saying from last weeks post, does he have a bias?

message 2: by Joey (new)

Joey Slavik | 18 comments Johan wrote: "I was thinking about the comment that Nick says about him being one of the few honest people he has ever known and the fact that he is the narrator of the story. Which made me wonder, do Nick's qua..."

I think that Nick is biast and favors himself to be better than others, because of the way he was raised he believes that he is a better person, even in the beggining he states that he has had to think hard about the advice his father gave him and its a straight forward piece of advice

message 3: by Joey (new)

Joey Slavik | 18 comments Nick seems to really like himself. I get the feeling that he finds himself comprable to the "great" Gastsby, but i think he's really just like all the other people in the book

message 4: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Vogelman | 1 comments So Nick is the narrator of the story, i haven't read as far as you guys have but i think its wierd how at the beginning of the book everyone knows Gatsby or has been to one of his parties except for Nick and he's his neighbor? Maybe because of their classes? Gatsby is rich and Nick not so much?

message 5: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Trevino | 2 comments as my second response i am trying to figure out Gatsby's desire to live his past life and why he can't let go of his idea of perfection

message 6: by Christa (new)

Christa | 12 comments Vanessa wrote: "So Nick is the narrator of the story, i haven't read as far as you guys have but i think its wierd how at the beginning of the book everyone knows Gatsby or has been to one of his parties except fo..."

it's because he wasn't invited.. later on in like the second chapter or something, gatsby invited him & then nick started going all the time. He just needed the invitiation.

message 7: by Mr. Hollis (new)

Mr. Hollis | 4 comments Mod
Vanessa is on to something here. Think about this, consider Nick's narration of Gatsby's party in Chapter 3 ... does anyone at the party really seem to know anything about Gatsby? Does anyone really seem to care that they don't know anything about Gatsby, or for that matter one another?