Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Member's Chat > Non-fiction YA

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Does anyone read non-fiction YA? I haven't read any myself but maybe someone in the group has read something good?

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I recently got a non fiction YA book called "When I Was A Soldier" by Valerie Zenatti. It is a memoir.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashley,

This looks like a great memoir. A good part of my student population is Jewish and this would be a great addition to my curriculum. I'll have to give it a look. Add it to the list. Sigh.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Steph,

Glad you will be able to use that book for your class. :)What grade do you teach?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashley,
I'd be using WHEN I WAS A SOLDIER for a tenth or twelfth grade unit. In tenth, I do a unit on war and in 12th, one on societal violence.
I've got the book in my Amazon cart. Just need the moolah to get it and others.

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire | 8 comments Hi everyone,
My book for girls, Girls Inc. Presents: YOU'RE AMAZING! A No-Pressure Guide to Being Your Best Self, is a non-fiction guide on how to resist the pressures to be perfect. It includes interviews with girls and women and activities based on Girls Inc. programs.

Here are a couple of other suggestions in the area of girls' self-esteem and empowerment:

RESPECT: A Girl's Guide to Getting Respect & Dealing When Your Line is Crossed by Courtney Macavinta

ALL MADE UP: A Girl's Guide to Seeing Through Celebrity Hype and Celebrating Real Beauty

BODY DRAMA: Real Girls, Real Bodies, Real Issues, Real Answers by Nancy Redd

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read Anne Frank but who hasn't. I have also read Go Ask Alice which is also a diary. It is about teen drug addiction among other problems.

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Are kids still reading "Go Ask Alice"? I remember reading it in the mid-Seventies, but I would think it would be kind of dated for today's kids.

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire | 8 comments I think Go Ask Alice is still pretty widely read. There's also a new book called Tweak that is popular with teen readers. I met a 15-year-old last night who had just read it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I also read Helter Skelter but I don't think that is young adult. I've read Sybil and the Minds of Billy Milligan, too which are both really really good if you like multiple personalities. I'm also a big self help fan (not that I feel I need it and I really don't know why I pick those books up or I why I even enjoy them).

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) We read excerpts from Teen Angst by Ned Vizzini. It is an awesome book.