College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I just read Juliet, Naked and I have this feeling that Hornby is going to be a favorite author if I enjoy his other books as much as I did this one.

Anybody a fan of his? What should I read next?

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) I've only ever read High Fidelity by him. I thought it was good, but not great. But I read it in early high school so maybe now I'd like it more. I've heard really good things about the author in general though. I really want to read About a Boy.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I would suggest High Fidelity, keeps with the music theme but I think all his books might have that in common. About a Boy is also really good though, haven't read either since high school and now I feel like it may be time to revisit since I also really like Juliet, Naked.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I've read a couple of Hornby books so far. I didn't really care for High Fidelity like I expected I would. A Long Way Down was pretty good, but nothing amazing either. I have Juliet, Naked on my TBR list. I've been hearing so many good things.

message 5: by Natanya (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments Though I've seen all of the movies made from his books (About a Boy, High Fidelity, Fever Pitch), the only Hornby book I've actually read was Slam, which was...meh. It was a kind of fun read, but not fantastic. Maybe just because I'm not a boy.

message 6: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments I recently finished A Long Way Down. I found the book an easy quick read that kept my interest. I ended up rating it 3 stars. I think I need to read more of his material before I can really review him as an author.

As of right now I am with Natanya's opinion, fun read but not fanstastic.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily I really liked about a boy. Haven't read any of his other books yet.

message 8: by Meg (new)

Meg (aurawn) | 44 comments I really like Hornby. I read Juliet Naked over the summer and loved it -- couldn't put it down. I got How to Be Good in September and tore through it. I liked Juliet Naked a bit better but it was still very good. I have About a Boy out from the library right now but I haven't started it yet (went a little crazy at the library and took out waaaay too many books!)

message 9: by Elatsoe Stan (new)

Elatsoe Stan | 21 comments Adored Juliet, Naked, thought A Long Way Down was alright, and pretty much hated How to Be Good. So he's kinda run the gamut for me.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily I loved About a Boy, just read How to Be Good this week and hated it! So depressing and such a bad ending.