Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Fave Holiday Reads!!!

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments Every year I say to myself, "Self, this year you will read a heart-warming Christmas novel!"
and then.......Christmas comes and goes and I don't do it!
I want this year to be different.
What are your favorite Holiday reads??

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments That is a good one.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) The only holiday novel I've read and really enjoyed is The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0. I've never read A Christmas Carol though and hope to this year.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Charles Dickens, Christmas Carol and other stories.

message 5: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (last edited Nov 28, 2010 01:26PM) (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
For a kid/YA book, I love The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

Elizabeth (Alaska) As a child, we never missed The Littlest Angel.

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4880 comments Last year I read "The Christmas Shoes", "The Christmas List", "The Stupidest Angel". I read "A Christmas Carol" when I was 12.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Some of us at Chick Lits are going to read "An Irish Country Christmas".

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4880 comments I saw that.

message 10: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (akbaum) I also like The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0, but my favorite holiday read is Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris, it is hilarious!

message 11: by Meg (new)

Meg Clayton (megwaiteclayton) | 129 comments >Charles Dickens, Christmas Carol

What Rebecca said!

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Godwin | 17 comments Skipping Christmas This one is an atypical John Grisham novel which was made into a movie. I also loved The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda | 443 comments Suzanne wrote: "Skipping Christmas This one is an atypical John Grisham novel which was made into a movie. I also loved [book:The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0|..."

Skipping Christmas was hilarious, roll on the floor laughing! I thought the movie was very disappointing! I'll have to take a look at The Stupidist Angel.. .

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 387 comments Hands down, my favorite Christmas/holiday book is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

message 15: by Regine (new)

Regine Not a novel, but my favourite Christmas tale is
The Gift of the Magi

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda | 443 comments Carrie wrote: "Every year I say to myself, "Self, this year you will read a heart-warming Christmas novel!"
I want this year to be different.
What are..."

Carrie, Leslie started a Buddy Read. The book is An Irish Country Christmas starts Dec.1 . I picked up a copy at the library, it looks like a fun book. Why not join us?

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Linda wrote: "Carrie wrote: "Every year I say to myself, "Self, this year you will read a heart-warming Christmas novel!"
I want this year to be differe..."

Yes Carrie, read it with us. All Patrick Taylor's Irish Country books are so much fun. They are funny without being rude or hurtful. They are charming without being syruppy sweet. They are the only books in years that I actually laughed out loud over. Your cheeks will hurt from smiling so much. Sigh. I wish I lived in Ballybuckleboo. (I'm sure I misspelled that, let's all pretend we don't notice.)

message 18: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 387 comments Regine wrote: "Not a novel, but my favourite Christmas tale is
The Gift of the Magi"

That's a very good one!!

message 19: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments I just started A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg. Seems like one of those Southern stories full of eccentric character. If done well, it's good. If not, then it's hokey.

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda | 443 comments Shay wrote: "I just started A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg. Seems like one of those Southern stories full of eccentric character. If done well, it's good. If not, then it's hokey."

Let us know how it is!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 118 comments I am reading Little Women this year over the holidays (never read it before)!! Carrie, I do that to, where I say I will read something Christmasy and it never comes to pass so this year I just dove right in :) Hope you find something to your liking!

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Amanda wrote: "I am reading Little Women this year over the holidays (never read it before)!! Carrie, I do that to, where I say I will read something Christmasy and it never comes to pass so this year I just dove..."

Oh, Amanda, Little Women is an excellent choice for Christmas, as it begins and I think even ends at Christmas. I always either read it again or watch my old vhs copy of it every year at Christmas. (The one with Wynona Ryder)

message 23: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey As soon as my exams finish (tomorrow, woo!!) I will finally get to curl up with a few books that I have wanted to read for a while:
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss , The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón , The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons and The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2) by Anne Rice . The Bronze Horseman will be a long read, but the love story is said to be a must-read. Has anyone read these?

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 118 comments Leslie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I am reading Little Women this year over the holidays (never read it before)!! Carrie, I do that to, where I say I will read something Christmasy and it never comes to pass so this y..."

I love that movie! Ive probably seen it a dozen times but never read the book. So I felt it was time to actually read the original! Im really enjoying it so far and I love how it begins with Christmas :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) The beginning of Little Women is perfect for the Christmas time. Fannie Flagg's A Redbird Christmas is a great little feel good Southern read and The Christmas Quilt is a Wonderful Christmas read.

message 26: by Patysue (new)

Patysue | 2 comments Hi, I'm new here. Chelsey, I've read The Bronze Horseman and I'd give it five stars. I'm always looking for good seasonal fiction at Christmas time. I've read A Redbird Christmas, The Christmas Train, Skipping Christmas, Holidays on Ice, and the two Mitford series Christmas books. Nothing looks interesting to me this year. All I want is just a cozy comfy read! Maybe I'll try The Christmas Quilt. I've had a recommendation for The Quilter's Apprentice - is TCQ from that series?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Welcome Patysue! Yes, The Quilter's Apprentice (a favorite of mine) and The Christmas Quilt are from the Elm Creek Quilts Series by Jennifer Chiaverini. Another in the series I love is The Sugar Camp Quilt.

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I loved the covers of the Quilters books by Jenn. Chiaverini but they were kinda boring for me. I almost liked them. They are extremely popular at my library so it must be just me!

message 29: by Patysue (new)

Patysue | 2 comments Could I read The Christmas Quilt out of order in the series and not be confused? I also recommend Winter Solstice by R. Pilcher . . excellent!<

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) lol Leslie! Just not your cuppa tea is all! I have a couple I havemt liked but as a whole I do love the series.

Absolutely Patsysue! Most of her Elm Creek Quilts novels can be read out of order w/out a problem as she's good at giving a slightly different & brief overview of the main characters in each novel. I started w/The Sugar Camp Quilt.

message 31: by Denise (new)

Denise | 26 comments I love all of your suggestions. I have read A Christmas Carol and Little Women, but none of these other. I look forward to checking out a few at the library. Thanks!

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I loved A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Me too Cindy! A very sweet story.

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan Underwood | 267 comments I just read Matchless: A Christmas Story by Gregory Maguire. It was very cute. You can even find it on the Internet for free.

message 36: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Just finished reading Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor and really enjoyed it!! It is going on my list of favorites. If you're ready for a light romance that makes your heart feel good, I recommend this one!!

message 37: by Viola (new)

Viola | 1014 comments I just finished O Henry's The Gift of the Magi. Really short and really sweet. Loved it!

message 38: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Johnson | 3 comments I just finished VILLAGE OF SYCAMORE by MARIA RIHTE Absolutely great book. Amazing debut. Great characters, nicely twisted plot - it keeps you on your toes and you just cannot put it down once you start reading it. While at work I found myself thinking about the people on that island and I was reading it while travelling in a crowded bus, wondering what people might think of me…because I almost burst out laughing. I miss that island already. One of those books that you are eager to finish and then when you do finish it, you are profoundly sad, because you just said goodbye to your dear friends. Village of Sycamore by Maria Rihte

message 39: by Linda (new)

Linda | 443 comments I'm going to start The Quiet Little Woman The Quiet Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott for a quick holiday read.

message 40: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments I still haven't read any holiday books! :( I am pitiful.

message 41: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 40 comments My choice would be Seven secrets of happiness by Sharon Owens

message 42: by Cammie (new)

Cammie | 784 comments I liked Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball by Donita K. Paul and Love Finds You under the Mistletoe by Irene Brand I read both in December and really enjoyed them.