Harry Potter discussion

Books > Epilogue

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Did the epilogue answer everything you wanted? It sure didn't to me.
What happened to the Dursley's? What happened to Luna? Who is the new headmaster,headmistress of Hogwarts? What other questions did you have at the end?

message 2: by Sarah Anne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Sarah Anne (sarahaf712) | 38 comments I wanted to know what had happened to the Dursleys. Did the Death Eaters ever catch up with them? Possibilities.

message 3: by Molly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Molly | 1 comments I want to know what careers Harry and all ended up in.

message 4: by Cindy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Cindy (supercin721) | 26 comments Harry and Ron both ended up in the Auror department. And, according to Rowling, by the time of the epilogue was probably the head of the department. Luna was off doing some adventuring and research into those strange animals. Neville was teaching at school. Hermione was high up in the Department of Law (I forget the official name of the department).

message 5: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Although the epilogue was good. I felt that JK could have expanded a little more. Like telling who became new Headmaster/Headmistress of Hogwarts, if any of the students became teachers at Hogwarts, what job professions the trio were in, etc, who became new Defense against the dark arts teacher, who was the new potions teacher, things like that. I think JK got tired and just wanted to end it..lol.

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Lisa Thumma | 2 comments I was expecting a lot more in the epilogue but I can't say that I was disappointed with what we got. I know that it was so full of cheese but I just didn't care. The epilogue let me put down the book with a big smile on my face. And, we still have the encyclopedia to look forward to which should give us all those answers we were hoping for.

message 7: by Michele (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Michele | 20 comments This is going to be very drippy but I definitely wanted more. After sticking by Harry et al through all the hard times I think it only fair that we get to witness some of the good times.

Perhaps because Harry's age has paralleled my own son's I wanted to see him get married, the birth of his first child etc.

It would have been nice to have a book about the post Voldemort years and then perhaps have the epilogue to that book fast forward 10 years. Perhaps not as tension ridden but a nice treat for die hard Harry fans.

message 8: by Jaime (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Jaime Yeah! But wait, I thought that Neville married Luna? Or maybe I just wanted that to happen! :)

message 9: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I read an interview from J.K. Rowling and she said that Harry and Ron became the heads of the auror department and Hermione was head of magical law inforcements. They totally changed the ministry as Joe says.

message 10: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) There is a link in one of the new topics that is an interview with JK. It will answer everyone's questions.

message 11: by Christine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Christine | 2 comments I enjoyed the look into the characters' futures. It gave me a nice sense of closure, but even a little too much closure. I like to have some questions unanswered and be able to make the conclusions on my own. And did Harry really have to name his kids after all those people? It was a bit much. I especially liked how Hermione warned against talking badly about the Malfoy boys before the kids even got to meet.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I though that the epilogue was REALLY lame. I thought it didn't tell enough about Harry and his kids... I didn't like it.

message 13: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) I hated the epilogue. I thought it was cliche and complete garbage. It made me sad that JK Rowling, who is an amazing, creative author, decided to pick the most cliche overdone epilogue ever. I would have been happy with the book if the epilogue hadn't existed, but it really kind of ruined it for me.

Just my opinion though. Doesn't mean ya'll can't like it so don't get too offended

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (BeatrixKiddo) | 63 comments Ella and Teresa: I kind of agree with you. To me, that was innecessary, and "cursi". The only part I liked (well, more than like) was the dialogue of Harry to his son: "Albus Severus, you're named for two Hogwarts headmasters...."

But anyhow, I think I understand WHY JKR did that. She needed a real END. Just imagine for a second what would have happened if HPDH would have ended when they defeated Voldemort and the war finished. We all would have been DEMANDING for more, and she said several times that there's definitely no more of HP. SHe finished the story in a way that she leaves no possibility of another sequel, and proof of that are all those interviews in which she had been answering all and every one of the questions you people are asking here. And that's also why she's working in her HP encyclopedia; so, the END of Harry Potter adventures is, in my opinion and thanks mostly to the Epilogue, absolute and definitive.

I'll extend a little more just to answer some of the questions I remember:

Harry: yes, he's head of the Auror's Office, and married Ginny.
Ginny: continued her career as quidditch player with the Holyhead Arpies, and then retired to have three kids: James, Lily and Albus.
Ron: is working with George in the joke shop and they're doing great. He married Hermione, and had two kids: Hugo and Rose.
Hermione: she's an active member of the department of Magical Law Enforcement.
Luna: she's kinda biologist searching for strange animals, and married the grandson of Newt Scamander, Rolf.
Neville: all of JKR said of him is that he's the new Herbology teacher in Hogwarts. His parents never recovered.
Bill and Fleur had a daughter, Victoire, who had a crush with Teddy Lupin (who was raised by Andromeda, his grandmother).
Kinsgley was the new Minister of MAgic.
Umbridge was imprisoned and questioned for muggleborns torture.

Well, if anyone had another question and I know the asnwer I'll be glad to tell you =)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Very cool.

message 16: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
Just to add:

Ron goes on to join the Auror Deprtment with Harry.

Ginny raises the kids while while writing as the senior Quidditch correspondent for the wizarding newspaper, the Daily Prophet.

message 17: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) I disagree Beatrix. You do not need to write a crappy, cliche epilogue to end your story. She is the author, she ultimately decides if she is going to write more or not. If she hadn't written that epilogue, no one can force her to write more.

Also, just because that epilogue exists doesn't mean people won't be pressuring her to write more. They'll want stories about the kids, stories about Harry's adult life, anything else they can get. I also don't believe her writing Tales of Beedle the Bard was a smart move if she wants people to take her seriously that she is finished with the series. While it isn't a book about Harry, it's Harry Potter related and now people are going to want more.

So, writing that epilogue will not stop people from pressuring her to write more. And she can say no. That's the beauty of being the author of the series. If the book had ended without the epilogue, I thought it would have been pretty epic. But that epilogue was terrible, unnecessary, and completely unrealistic. But, this is just my opinion and I don't think it will help lessen the demand for more.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

CALM DOWN TERESA!

message 19: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) um, Shae, I wasn't upset. Maybe you should calm down. I was just stating my opinion.

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (BeatrixKiddo) | 63 comments Well, I think we all have different opinions, is not as if any of us has the absolut truth of why the Epilogue exists. I, as Teresa said, was just stating my opinion of why I think JKR could have been finished DH that way. But I may be (and very possible be!!)wrong as well. What made me think of this argument was that, if the end of the story had been the end of the war, the demanding of more would have been, if possible, overwhealming.

And now that we're expressing opinions, I certainly must disagree about Beedle not being a smart move. To me, it was well-written and entertaining, and instructive (DD comments). Also if the gains are for charity, I have no reason to complain =) I myself bought the collector's edition, which by the way looks beautiful in my bookshelf.

The intention of these posts are, if I'm not mistaken, not to create an argument between us HP fans, or JKR fans, or fantasy fans...whatever we are. To me, they serve to enrich my opinions and to see things from different perspectives, whether I agree or not =)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooh. Shae got burned! Anyway, Bellatrix I thought that it was way cool! Where did you learn all of that? But I also agree with Teressa.....

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (BeatrixKiddo) | 63 comments Ella wrote: "Oooh. Shae got burned! Anyway, Bellatrix I thought that it was way cool! Where did you learn all of that? But I also agree with Teressa....."

You mean the things I said about HP characters and their future?? Check this link out... I think I've read it at least ten times =D

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/ful...

message 23: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) I think JK wrote the epilogue for herself because she didn't want her saga with Harry to be over. That's cool that she wanted to explore Harry's life in the future, but I personally think she should have kept the information to herself or her website. Sure when I read Deathly Hallows I didn't want it to be over either and I was glad there was something there to make me feel satisfied with Harry's future, but it didn't really fit the rest of the series and the book was stronger without it.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

message 25: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) Yes I agree with you Beatrix! I wasn't trying to argue or anything, I was just sharing my thoughts on what you said. To me, its just that I hold JK Rowling's creativity and originality up on a high high high bar of expectation and I felt the epilogue is something I've read in 50 other books and I was disappointed she took such a cliche route.

But I also don't feel the epilogue will take the pressure off on her to continue writing Harry Potter tales.

And I agree with what you said at the end of your post Annalisa, that it didn't fit and the book was stronger without it

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Ella - People just ignore us. Oh well.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Beatrix wrote: "Well, I think we all have different opinions, is not as if any of us has the absolut truth of why the Epilogue exists. I, as Teresa said, was just stating my opinion of why I think JKR could have b..."

I am just saying she said crappy.....

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) When I first read Deathly Hallows, I was disappointed in the Epilogue. I wanted to know more - I wanted to know what happened to everyone, everywhere. I later realized that for me to get all the information I would've wanted would've required several more chapters, and couldn't have possibly fit into a brief epilogue. I was also happy to hear that Rowling intends to answer many of the questions I may have had - at least the ones she hasn't already answered - in the (someday) forthcoming 'Scottish Book' (aka Harry Potter Encyclopedia, which will, apparently, answer not just "where are they now" type questions but will also give some backstory for some characters that she'd written but had to cut out of the books (like Dean).)

The second time I read 'Deathly Hallows' I appreciated the epilogue much more. I still wasn't completely happy with it - but I took it for what it was and what it represented, as opposed to being upset that it wasn't what I wanted it to be. The epilogue brings the story full circle - at the beginning of the series Harry has just lost his parents, and is stuck with the Dursleys. He is, essentially, without a family that loves and cares for him and, in many ways, the entire series is about him longing for that family, but being kept away from it (i.e. him breaking up with Ginny so that he could fight Voldemort without her getting hurt. Which is chauvinst, but ah well.)

But the epilogue shows Harry with the family that he's always wanted - his wife, his children, existing in a time of peace and being happy together.

You didn't get that from the end of the war. The end of the war was bitter-sweet - yes, there was victory, but there was also all the deaths that had just occured. The epilogue gave them time to heal, and time to become family.

Would I have liked to have seen more? Well, yes - but, then, as I said, if I got to 'see' everything I wanted to see, we'd be talking another book, at least.

And, besides, this was always, for the most part, Harry's story. Sure it has some strong secondary characters, but the story is 'Harry Potter and the... ' - so it is his life which is the ultimate focus, and not what happened to everyone else (though it was nice to see the parallel of Harry in Teddy.)

Anyway, as I said, the first time I read it I was really irritated with it. I felt cheated and angry. But the second time I read it, with all the above in mind (as I'd read all the various articles and comments by Jo on the subject), I felt much more satisfied with the conclusion.

message 29: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) She's writing a Harry Potter Encyclopedia... ugh! See, Beatrix, this is what I was talking about, I have a hard time taking Rowling seriously when she says I'm not writing anymore Harry Potter books when she keeps writing these Harry Potter related books. No doubt she's writing the Encyclopedia because of the pressure of fans needing answers. No matter what, she's always going to have pressure to write more.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) She announced the encyclopedia, or the possibility of it, ages ago - back in 2000, actually. It's mostly stuff that she wanted to put into the books, or things from notes she already has, that she just wasn't able to fit into the story. There's no set release date on it, as she said she's taking a break first and will get to it when she feels like it, so she doesn't seem to be too cowed by fan pressure. :>

message 31: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (MissRyoko) Well, that's good she's taking her time. I think waiting a good few years after the 7th book was finished would have been a good idea for her to start releasing Harry Potter related books

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Yea.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Shae said: "I'm just saying she said crappy."

Okay then. Nice to know.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Well.....

message 35: by Meghan (last edited Dec 05, 2009 10:09AM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments One thing I was sad about was the fact that if you wanted to know the story, you had to go find it somewhere else. That always bothers me. If I'm reading a book, I like the answers to be in the book (unless it's a series, because generally the answers will be in the next book). I just didn't like how the series ended and there was so much we still didn't know.

I might have also been disappointed just because it was the end of the series and I didn't want it to end.

message 36: by Julie (last edited Dec 07, 2009 09:39AM) (new)

Julie (Jewels331) | 13 comments I personally loved the epilogue - but thats probably because I'm a sucker for happy endings. I needed to know that after a 7 book series where Harry gets abused, loses a loved one, and almost gets killed in every one - that he had a peaceful time in his life. He gets a pretty raw deal for his childhood and I was happy that he got a chance to have a real family.

On the other hand I am very aware of how totally corny and cheesy that sounded and know that most people don't think that way. So I understand it was a dissapointment to some. Not to minimize anyone's sufferings, but I'd like to point out that with any ending to the series there would be dissapointed readers, so I think Jo recognized that and wasn't paying attention to pressures when writing it (that's a guess).

As for the encyclopedia, I won't ever say no to more Harry Potter info from Jo!!!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

The only reason I didn't like the epiloge was because I didn't want it all to end.

message 38: by Jenn (last edited Dec 08, 2009 01:40AM) (new)

Jenn | 41 comments I didn't mind the epilogue wish there had been more in it. Though she has answered a lot of questions in interviews and there is the encyclopedia whenever that comes out. I know its a ways off but I always thought it be cool if it came out in 2017 that's the year the epilogue takes place and it will be 10 years after DH came out. I even wouldn't have minded a chapter between the last chapter and the epilogue

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I cannot wait until the encyclopedia comes out.

message 40: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Does any one else think life without Voldemort would be kind of hard for Harry? I don't want that to be taken wrong, but don't you think that, after years and years of everything being revolved around Voldemort, him being gone would be weird? I think it probably took Harry a little while to get used to the idea. He probably wondered at one point if there was anything left in the world to do. After having adventure after adventure going back to a "normal" life would be pretty strange.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

*Ron Weasley Fan* Shae wrote: "I cannot wait until the encyclopedia comes out."

Wha-?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

She, well, to hard to explain so I will tell you tommorow.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay then.

message 44: by Annalisa (last edited Dec 10, 2009 04:08PM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Meghan,
I think so. It's like in the Princess Bride where he he finally confronts the six-fingered man and then he doesn't know what to do with his life. Harry's life revolves around being the chosen one, around fighting Voldemort. Without Voldemort, who is he? Not only that, but with the horcrux gone, a part of him is literally missing. I think it's part of the reason ending book 7 is so hard. It's not just that the saga is over, but it's kind of sad for Harry too that the mission of his life is over and he has to start over at 17 and redefine who he is.

message 45: by Julie (new)

Julie (Jewels331) | 13 comments That's true. It's like Harry says in the beginning of Deathly Hallows (about Ginny) - "Her future was free and unencumbered, whereas his... he could see nothing but Voldemort ahead."

Well, at least he has time to do that. Jo said he and Ron become Aurors so he has time to gradually transition his way of thinking. I'm sure not all the Death Eaters were not willing to give up so easily, so Harry has the opportunity to chase after them.

But in the end, Harry's a strong character, and I have full confidence in him that he can handle this. It's not like he has nothing now - he's got Ginny, as well as Ron and Hermione to help him through. (This is one of the reasons I like the epilogue - it shows how, yes - Harry was ablt to get past that and move on in life)

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (redsoxprincess) | 1 comments I want to know what happens to the dursleys, but JK Rowling is making an HP encyclopedia kinda things so she may put what happens to them in there

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? I'll have to look into that... What is it called?

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Howarts a Histroy.....

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) Annalisa wrote: "Meghan,
I think so. It's like in the Princess Bride where he he finally confronts the six-fingered man and then he doesn't know what to do with his life. Harry's life revolves around being the chos..."

in my opinion, that makes the epilogue all the more amazing. by projecting into the future, she really delivers on closure for her characters, and readers can know that harry really does have a good life: he's married with kids. idk, it seemed kind of like a "Circle of Life" scenario. I love endings like that, instead of just "they rode off into the sunset. The end!" :)

message 50: by Annalisa (last edited Dec 22, 2009 09:48PM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Amelia,
I agree. What I like about the epilogue is that you're thinking about the first time Harry came to that platform and how young and innocent he was and how much he's grown and how much he's been through since then. His life has come full circle and now he's standing in the position that Dumbledore and the other adults had ready for his kids to live the adventure. It ties the book back to the beginning and reminds us what an epic adventure it is.

« previous 1 3